Isn't FEV a bit dumb?

Little Robot said:
I think that it's a little better in FNV, although I thought that the NCR "trooper ghouls" were retarded.

It was already mentioned in Fallout 2 that Ghouls could join the NCR, the idea of them even joining the armed forces doesn't seem that bad.

Like normal humans in the NCR they also probably feel inclined to defend the state from aggressors.

Not that ghouls are accepted into the NCR-- that makes sense. But have you encountered those ghouls? They are just feral ghouls in NCR uniforms, found in irradiated towns. Not "intelligent" ghouls, who I wouldn't mind. But they don't use rifles or anything, they do the dumb "hiss at you and then try to bite you" thing. I assume that they were "turned" that way from hanging out in irradiated towns because that's where they are found.

They are only in Camp Searchlight, and they were either ghouls or humans before the incident there and turned feral.

Yes, exactly. I don't like the whole "feral soldiers" thing. My problem is that the idea of "feral ghouls" as a concept seems fundamentally flawed, and to say that a group of well-trained (well, it's NCR but at least some training) killing machines would quickly become zombies who bite people to attack them is rather silly imo.

Madbringer said:
I thought the general consensus was that ghouls were created by radiation after the war (i faintly recall some characters saying in the original games that no new ghouls can be made, and the existing ones are all ancient, pre-war humans), with Harold being the only exception, obtaining his ghoul status by being exposed to a mix of radiation and FEV.

Harold and Talius.

There's no real consensus on what makes ghouls, not amongst developers or fans. I'm a fan of the radiation-only explanation because FEV is too much of an explain-all in the Fallout games (glad to see it wasn't present in New Vegas) and radiation causing ghouls and giant animals makes sense in the context of Science!

Feral ghouls have always been underexplained. It's not inherent of ghoulification to lose one's mind, so what determines it. If you buy the FEV explanation it might be tied to radiation you got before getting in contact with FEV but that seems unlikely. Do some minds break while others don't? Does it take time?

Ghouls are really underexplored as a feature of the wasteland. That doesn't seem too likely to change now that they're trash mobs.

You're standing in my shadow, normie.

I always forget about poor old Talius. :(

Yeah, the "feral" bit is always what gets me. In Fallout 1 and 2, mindless ghouls are rather rare - apart from Necropolis - and it seems that they lost their sanity either due to long years spend pondering their horrific transformations and being cut off from humanity, or due to their brains deteriorating along with their bodies.

Hell, in fact, it would seem more ghouls retained their sanity (at least partially), than not. Zombiefied ghouls were a very uncommon sight in either of the original games, so i'm hoping Beth would somehow explain the discrepancy between the rare west coast brain-eater and the undead plague on the east coast.

The ghouls at camp searchlight were created by some mysterous prewar nuclear device the legion salvaged and used. Or it could have been some thing nuclear related thing sthat the Legion jery rigged into a dirty bomb.

I say the Vault 12 inhabitants were given new medicaments to battle the dangers of high radiation or to create resistance against them. In the end, the experiment was a success, sort of.

Well DC was probably hit the hardest, so the feral ghouls could be a product of "over" radiating a normal ghoul to the point their minds begin to deteriorate. But thats just my theory.

Brother None said:
There's no real consensus on what makes ghouls, not amongst developers or fans. I'm a fan of the radiation-only explanation because FEV is too much of an explain-all in the Fallout games (glad to see it wasn't present in New Vegas) and radiation causing ghouls and giant animals makes sense in the context of Science!
The game is called Fallout, surely the universe should have a greater emphasis on the effects of its namesake...

In my opinion, radiation should unbind them from physical laws, to a higher degree than we've seen, not "eat their brain," as seems to be the current trend.

White Knight said:
Well radiation does kill cells, so the brain deterioting isn't as stupid as it sounds.

That and it's a game based on B movie physics, radiation created everything from giant animals to zombies in B movies

The effects in ghouls should be varied, is what I'm saying. The fate of a ghoul shouldn't be uniform. Make them anomalous, as if populations cope with radiation differently.

thegaresexperience said:
White Knight said:
Well radiation does kill cells, so the brain deterioting isn't as stupid as it sounds.

That and it's a game based on B movie physics, radiation created everything from giant animals to zombies in B movies

Yeah it mutates scorpions and ants because they have high natural resistance to radiation.

Sorry to burst the bubble, I love the game but the whole idea is dumb in realistic terms. get exposed to radiation and all thats gonna happen is that you will start to break down on a cellular level and die a slow painful death. you may mutate in the process, but only to the extent of an extra deformed finger or something but not change your humanity however if your exposed to mild doses and have a child you may question that last statement after looking at them. such as the U.S. soldiers who unknowingly walk into radiation after a large assault. Those D.U. Rounds Fallouts been kicking around are actual rounds used for extra penetration by our military, primarily in tank sabots. but yeah I mean all that radiation will do is Kill off cells or at the very least they will get damaged and cause cancer. they only cause a mutation most of the time in individual cells only...and not the kind of mutations that aren't allowed here. Sorry Buddy

JohnnySpliff said:
Sorry to burst the bubble, I love the game but the whole idea is dumb in realistic terms. get exposed to radiation and all thats gonna happen is that you will start to break down on a cellular level and die a slow painful death. you may mutate in the process, but only to the extent of an extra deformed finger or something but not change your humanity however if your exposed to mild doses and have a child you may question that last statement after looking at them. such as the U.S. soldiers who unknowingly walk into radiation after a large assault. Those D.U. Rounds Fallouts been kicking around are actual rounds used for extra penetration by our military, primarily in tank sabots. but yeah I mean all that radiation will do is Kill off cells or at the very least they will get damaged and cause cancer. they only cause a mutation most of the time in individual cells only...and not the kind of mutations that aren't allowed here. Sorry Buddy
What the hell kind of SCIENTIST! are you? :|

JohnnySpliff said:

No kidding Sherlock ?

JohnnySpliff said:

1239018815584.png

Back