Lonesome Road speculation

a_Psychonaut said:
@ Faceless Stranger; Thanks man. :mrgreen:

@Ophiuchus; Thanks for the welcome. Also much agreed. Maybe the bullet in the opening caused full-on retrograde amnesia? If that were the case maybe as you return home it spurs on memory sequences where the player gets to go through and play out your past? Maybe the Courier's past is sort of constructed by one's karma/reputations with important factions and presented somehow?

Also, I think 'blank slate' means he's the only Fallout character who's past is totally ambiguous as opposed to the Lone Wanderer who's childhood you play out and the FO1/FO2 characters who's beginnings the player is familiar with. Now, the big question is weather they put anything on that slate (LR flashback's maybe) or leave it blank for the player to sort of fill in (like they've done so far).

The main issue I have with them overwriting the blank slate is that they will have waited until the last DLC to ruin our roleplays. If they advertised before the game released, or was made clear that our character had definite beginning early in the game (no, Johnson Nash' conversation doesn't do that) I would have less of a problem. But now, it's possible that my characters that I've roleplayed to be, for example, from The Hub or The Den (and even based some of the decisions on what they experienced back then) could be invalidated while they've made sense with every previous DLC.

Are you serious? lol.

Also it wasn't said that some blank slate will be overwritten. In fact, I doubt that this will happen.

But new power armor? Who the hell would make it?
The only one with enough resources and capacities to develop new power armor (that is not a piece of crap) were the Enclave. They already made new power armor.
BoS has no capabilities to build new power armor, and NCR can't even repair old power armor.
Sorry, crossbro, new power armor is a no go lore-wise.

Well it could be a "prototype" to it pre-war power armor or perhaps a prototype power armor that the enclave was using I mean EDE has something to do with the new dlc based on the achievements so Enclave involvement isn't a complete stretch. So maybe a former enclave scientist could also be making one so you never know. I mean lore was created for the Stealth armor and for the NCR Armor. So you never know.

ignore obvious mentions of Moar PA hurdur, BoSophilia, and pewpew crossbows and we'll all be that much better off in the long run.

:lalala:

DoubleRubix said:
Well it could be a "prototype" to it pre-war power armor or perhaps a prototype power armor that the enclave was using I mean EDE has something to do with the new dlc based on the achievements so Enclave involvement isn't a complete stretch. So maybe a former enclave scientist could also be making one so you never know. I mean lore was created for the Stealth armor and for the NCR Armor. So you never know.

The stealth armour was either chinese or from a research facility and the NCR armour was pre-existing armour stripped down so you didn't need to have training to wear it. That makes sense. Just pulling a new protoype out of nowhere wouldn't make any sense. And if its a protoype, it would be worse than all or some of the vanilla power armour.

:::SILUS::: said:
Is anyone else hoping for a new power armor?

Bergman confirmed over on BSGF that there would be no new power armour in Lonesome Road and that they were also ordered not to put any in Old World Blues. Something to do with not going beserk with Power Armour varients for lore reasons I believe.

White Knight said:
DoubleRubix said:

The stealth armour was either chinese or from a research facility and the NCR armour was pre-existing armour stripped down so you didn't need to have training to wear it. That makes sense. Just pulling a new protoype out of nowhere wouldn't make any sense. And if its a protoype, it would be worse than all or some of the vanilla power armour.

Well it could just be different experiments with "servos" possibly adding more strength or not enough or different ceramics, or it could go the other route in that it was so expensive that mass production would have been impractical. Those all make just as much sense as it not being good. And I'm just making a suggestion.

It'd have to be an improvement over the Enclave varieties, I'm finding that extremely unlikely.

The original Fallout is the game that handled PA best tbh. NV was a step in the right direction from F3, but the last thing it needs is more and more varied PA.

The Enclave 86 said:
:::SILUS::: said:
Is anyone else hoping for a new power armor?

Bergman confirmed over on BSGF that there would be no new power armour in Lonesome Road and that they were also ordered not to put any in Old World Blues. Something to do with not going beserk with Power Armour varients for lore reasons I believe.

I'm amazed that this is coming from one of the Bethesda guys, who weren't that fond of "not going crazy with lore" before. Maybe there is still hope on the horizon.

Fuck this power armor shit, who really needs another one? In Fallout 1, a power armor was something really unique, by adding more and more types of it it takes away all the "mystery" and becomes bland and shit boring. Instead of adding new lol arm0r!1 I rather want them to make a good story, which I have no doubts they will deliver again.

Oh, there's no doubt that the writing will be boss as usual. I just wonder how they plan to wrap it all up. Some Michael BaySPLOSION duel betwix Ulysses and The Courier? Over a pit? That holds a hurricane?

Surf Solar said:
I'm amazed that this is coming from one of the Bethesda guys, who weren't that fond of "not going crazy with lore" before. Maybe there is still hope on the horizon.

Fuck this power armor shit, who really needs another one? In Fallout 1, a power armor was something really unique, by adding more and more types of it it takes away all the "mystery" and becomes bland and shit boring. Instead of adding new lol arm0r!1 I rather want them to make a good story, which I have no doubts they will deliver again.

Bergman's alright - he came on after Fallout 3 anyway, was too busy being one of BioShock's (fav game) producers!. He usually comes onto the Forums to answer questions on things - provided he is allowed too. It's that Todd Howard who needs to be watched... This Skyrim shit's going to happen to Fallout 4.

Filthyastronauts said:
The main issue I have with them overwriting the blank slate is that they will have waited until the last DLC to ruin our roleplays. If they advertised before the game released, or was made clear that our character had definite beginning early in the game (no, Johnson Nash' conversation doesn't do that) I would have less of a problem. But now, it's possible that my characters that I've roleplayed to be, for example, from The Hub or The Den (and even based some of the decisions on what they experienced back then) could be invalidated while they've made sense with every previous DLC.

I do see your point about invalidating one's roleplays but it seems to me the Courier's background could be developed in such a way as to minimize the effects on the Courier's long lost past and instead deal directly with the Ulysses/Divide mystery. It's clear at some point the PC did something to greatly effect Ulysses and it's impossible for us to 'remember' as we wake up like we're born again in a shallow grave.
Also, my understanding of it is the Courier is the first PC who's a wastelander as opposed to Vault Dweller or in the BoS. He did receive his Pipboy secondhand. Considering this is the first FO where the Wasteland's civilizations have really started rebuilding this transition in PC makes sense.

Just give me some more armor that is light and strong, much like the Sierra Madre armor, Reinforced, and I'm game.

TheDidact said:
Just give me some more armor that is light and strong, much like the Sierra Madre armor, Reinforced, and I'm game.

Get Honest Hearts and snag the unique Ranger Black Armor. It's the Desert Rangers and it's lighter than the Ranger Arm and has a DT of 22 (same as t-45b at a fraction of the weight.)

Plus it's part of easily the coolest narrative of HH in my opinion. Randall Clark was such a champion.

Back