Fallout 2 mod Megamod version 2.47 Bug Reports and Suggestions

Not a 100% sure, but I believe I got the good ending for Redding by getting the Jet Cure to "Painless" Doc Johnson.
I was wondering about the [possible] extension of quests in Redding. I've completed all "traditional" quests there, but Madame Modjeska describes all political players of Redding (Doc - for Vault City, Marge - for NCR, Dan McGrew - for New Reno and mayor for his own profit), and those people also have a lot of dialog options, where they explain how they see the future of Redding. I heard [rumors, one may say] that there might be the way to get series of quests from Marge or Dan McGrew. Quests, where Chosen One helps one of those people to extend influence over the city by discrediting opponents. The question was, is there such a possibility in current MM or is it just a wishful thinking? :)

Last edited:
In Vault 23 if you try to access the computer on the 1st floor while in combat the game immediately freezes without warning and then shuts down with the error.
By the way: Vault 23 is the most boring place in whole F2. So many slow rats moving at once...

redding is easy

- dont cure jet addicts, give mine chip to dan, dont sell mine to mayor = support reno
- give mine chip to marge, dont sell mine to mayor = support NCR
- cure jet addicts, dont sell mine to mayor = support vault city
- clear mine then sell it back to mayor, dont give chip to anyone = support independent redding

you could combine quests to see which one has bigger influence at the end...

I'm having problems with damage. Nothing in combat does damage at all, melee or unarmed or any weapon. Neither can NPCs do damage to me. Every single hit, even if it knocks a character across the room, does 0 damage. Did I do something wrong during installation?
You can check "DamageFormula" variable in ddraw.ini. The safe (and default?) value is "0" (Fallout default), but it may be set to 5. At least you can try. )

maybe try different fo2 source ? never have this issue with original fo2 cd, so i couldnt say more ... :(

edit: only thing that could override damage formula is settings for "violence level" in game so try pick "maximum blood"

2wqssag.jpg

Last edited:
Unless this steam version has modified dat files as well, in which case I suppose I could rebuy it on gog or elsewhere if someone could point me in the direction of a copy to purchase that's simply the 1.02 game and nothing more
IIRC the GOG version has SFall and the Resolution Patch included.

Alrighty, this post is the end for my issue because I finally figured it out. I deleted all my other posts to clean up my useless speculations and whining.

If anyone is trying to install this mod over a digital copy of the game purchased from Steam (or possibly GOG, but i'm unable to personally test that) you will have to delete all the SFall and High Resolution Mod files in order for it to work, otherwise the damage formulas will be glitched and combat won't work.

kSHxs3W.png

mlThUB6.png

1) Download fo2 from steam, which has sfall 3.2 and highres included.

2) Copy the fallout2 folder from the steam folder to a new location, then uninstall fallout2 through the steam client (not really necessary, just cleans things up)

3) Delete the following files from the fallout 2 folder

ddraw.dll
ddraw.ini
Extras (folder)
f2_res.dat
f2_res.dll
f2_res.ini
f2_res_change.log
f2_res_Config.exe
f2_res_patcher.exe
f2_res_README.rtf
Fallout2_High_Resolution_Patch_4.1.8.exe
fallout2HR.exe
Fallout2Launcher.exe
FalloutClient.exe
FAQ.txt
GameuxInstallHelper.dll
sfall-readme.txt

You can keep the manual and the text files if you wish, but for the sake of this tutorial I'm making things as sleek as possible.

These files should be all that remains, which is as close to the base game as you can get. 29 files, ten folders, 555mb

nBIuSHX.png

4) At this point it's ready. Just install the megamod as per instructions and punch klint in his stupid face

dQXeGbX.png

EDIT: Concerning the High Res mod, the megamod doesnt seem to include f2_res_patcher.exe, yet includes everything else for the mod. Not sure if that was deliberate or not and I actually prefer the original resolution, but you may need to keep the original HR files or download the patcher separately. Im not certain of its compatibility with the megamod so I cant say for certain

Last edited:
I just tried the megamod for the first time, and I was immediately put off.

I didn't like that the first two characters that in the game have been deliberately changed to be sexist arseholes. Why would the author of the mod do this? The village was not a sexist place in the original game. Why would Klint and Cameron be shocked or appalled to see a woman in the temple of trials? The leader of the village is a woman; and presumably the identity of the chosen one was already well known to the villages before the trials began. It should not be a surprise, and it should not be an issue.

To me it felt contrived, unnecessary, unhelpful, out-of-character, and uncomfortable that my first two role-playing interactions in the game were about bullshit gender politics. I here to play a post-apocalyptic game. I'm not particularly interested in male-centric reflections on sexism. It isn't a good fit for this game.

Now, maybe all that's just a one-off and very minor part of the game; but it was not a good opening experience. This is newly added dialogue in the first two encounters of the game. It sets the tone for the game, and so I'm now expecting the entire game to be full of that kind of stuff. As a result, I'm going to just restart and play the restoration mod instead.

(I haven't noticed anyone else comment about this. So maybe no one else cares - or maybe just no one else bothers to give feedback when they don't like something. In any case, obviously you are free to ignore my criticism! Artistic licence is powerful. The main reason I'm posting is that I'm sure that the megamod has a heap of really high-quality content in it, and I think it's a shame for it to be spoiled by low-quality out-of-place filler content right at the start of the game.)

I just tried the megamod for the first time, and I was immediately put off.

I didn't like that the first two characters that in the game have been deliberately changed to be sexist arseholes. Why would the author of the mod do this? The village was not a sexist place in the original game. Why would Klint and Cameron be shocked or appalled to see a woman in the temple of trials? The leader of the village is a woman; and presumably the identity of the chosen one was already well known to the villages before the trials began. It should not be a surprise, and it should not be an issue.

To me it felt contrived, unnecessary, unhelpful, out-of-character, and uncomfortable that my first two role-playing interactions in the game were about bullshit gender politics. I here to play a post-apocalyptic game. I'm not particularly interested in male-centric reflections on sexism. It isn't a good fit for this game.

Now, maybe all that's just a one-off and very minor part of the game; but it was not a good opening experience. This is newly added dialogue in the first two encounters of the game. It sets the tone for the game, and so I'm now expecting the entire game to be full of that kind of stuff. As a result, I'm going to just restart and play the restoration mod instead.

(I haven't noticed anyone else comment about this. So maybe no one else cares - or maybe just no one else bothers to give feedback when they don't like something. In any case, obviously you are free to ignore my criticism! Artistic licence is powerful. The main reason I'm posting is that I'm sure that the megamod has a heap of really high-quality content in it, and I think it's a shame for it to be spoiled by low-quality out-of-place filler content right at the start of the game.)
I'm so sorry, everything has to be like in your most beautiful dream. :)

Now, maybe all that's just a one-off and very minor part of the game; but it was not a good opening experience.
I think that opening you're referring to is a part of New Vision, old Russian modification changing only a very few early-game locations. You can expect a lot of content not being politically correct in Russian or Eastern Yuropean modifications, so better brace yourself!

about bullshit gender politics
I can understand your emotions, but I have to say, that it's not that bad in the long run.
Yes, Klint and Cameron are astonished, that woman passes the trial, but it's Arroyo we are talking about: tribal laws, where only VERY talented women can made way to the top of their society. After that, away from Arroyo, there's NO place where Megamod would add any kind of disrespect to women which wasn't in original Fallout 2 :)

Yes, you cannot become a hunter if you play Megamod as a woman, but actually it's a benefit, because the way of shaman is much more profitable. )

My current playthrough: http://chieftain486.ddns.net:8081/scr00013.bmp :)

P.S. Did I mention that being female named Buffy gives you a serious advantage in Den? ;-)

Last edited:
@MIB88 Suggestion about Redding.
Sheriff Marion makes Chosen One his deputy and gives him/her the star. It would be a nice touch if one had to have that sheriff star in one slot during Redding quests. Currently that badge is irrelevant, but you can give it full meaning. If you have star in one of your slots - you represent authority, and people recognise it. If you haven't - they would not cooperate (they don't know you).

Every location in MM should have designated "safe spaces" you can immediately run to in case you character is confronted with sexist, racist or otherwise emotionally hurtful behavior :cry:

@MIB88 In New Reno after T-Ray stole the car and I took it back it gets more trunk space (+25, I think), but when I drive from the chop shop to any other location the size of the trunk resets to the one before the upgrade (I even saw the overload with red negative free size). It doesn't matter if I pay full $1500 or trick T-Ray into beleiving I'm Bishop's leutenant - the trunk gets bigger and then returns to the original size anyway. )

Every location in MM should have designated "safe spaces" you can immediately run to in case you character is confronted with sexist, racist or otherwise emotionally hurtful behavior :cry:
Do you think that's what I was asking for? I find it a bit sad that whenever someone brings up something like this, people start talking about "snowflakes" and "safe spaces"; as though they need to attack anyone who even might be thinking of saying that sexism is bad...

The thing is, my criticism has nothing to do with protecting people from sexism. That's a totally separate thing. My criticism is that those themes are out of place in the game. The conversations are artificial and contrived. It's designed to sound like a tough woman pushing back against sexist peers, but it reads more like the voice of one guy (the author of the dialogue) talking to himself about sexism. And it's tiresome and immersion breaking. There is only so much I can roll my eyes before swapping to a different game. ...

Now obviously not everyone will agree with me about that. Some people probably really appreciate these new themes and dialogue that I'm talking about. For example, I'm pretty sure the author didn't add it for no reason - they probably felt like it's a good idea; and I bet they aren't the only one. I'm just saying that _I_ don't think it's a good idea; and again, I'm sure I'm not the only one. You can take my views on board, or you can ignore them. It doesn't matter much to me.

And seriously, we don't need to start jabbing about snowflakes and safe spaces whenever sexism is mentioned.

After installing the new version of he mod, I played till Klamath normally. After getting back to my tribe I found out that I forgot the shack. I forgot to get the information from Lucas. I sadly found out that I came late back to end the shaman quest. (My fault.)

I had no error here. Only difference I found vs older versions, in older games I could scare Jordan away. So I had to fight him. (Is this option gone?)

So I used an earlier save game and got some errors, maybe bugs...
- I spoke this time with Lucas
- travelled to Klamath and few stuff is missing.
1. no kid with a cookie.
2. no dog with the key anywhere
3. no powder tin (not sure what name it was)
4. when I came back to Arroyo, after visiting the Shack, Jordan was alive and the problem with the wrong accusations didn't start.
5. If I tell Sulik and Klint to wear their best weapons and armor, they are wearing them, now, intead just be halve naked as before.

I started an older game and leave Arroyo, come back, but the still no wrong accusation.

1. no kid with a cookie.
2. no dog with the key anywhere
3. no powder tin (not sure what name it was)
4. when I came back to Arroyo, after visiting the Shack, Jordan was alive and the problem with the wrong accusations didn't start.
5. If I tell Sulik and Klint to wear their best weapons and armor, they are wearing them, now, intead just be halve naked as before.

I can assure you that 1) there IS a kid with the cookie, 2) there IS a dog with the key (not that it's useful, it's much easier to pick the lock), 3) dk, 4) when you return to Arroyo Mynoc immediately tells you about accusations.

I think you ought to reinstall MM from the start. If installed correctly, there're no problems with traditional locations.

Back