Merry Christmas from Bethesda

How do you think I disagree with Laozism? I'm talking about traditions and culture, not morality or rationality.

Racism and religion are not cultural phenomena, they are ideologies and can be discarded on the same grounds as any other ideology.

Racial supremacism can easily be debunked on scientific grounds, as goes for most religions (any religious claim about the real world can be treated as a scientific claim and analysed like one, any other claim can be ignored).

That aside, I think the US President saying he will "pray for the victims of 9/11" (or whatever just claimed victims that apparently need praying for) does significantly more harm (unless he used it figuratively -- although I'm not sure how it could have been meant any other way than religious) to the Laozist ideal of a religion-free government than a "Merry Christmas" card -- the same goes for other country that supposedly separate church and state.

Of course democracy is flawed, but I fail to see what cultural minorities have to do with that in this case. It's not about legislature, it's about who calls what by what name.

And no, the "majority" calling it "Happy Holidays" isn't a counter-argument, because firstly they don't and secondly the term is so obviously an artificial product of political correctness that it hurts -- most people saying "Happy Holidays" are either trying to be PC because non-PCness makes them feel guilty or because someone gave them the funny idea that non-PCness would be disrespectful.

The merit of PCness could be argued about in another thread, but based on personal experiences I would claim that most of it stems not from actual minorities being outraged at other people's "disrespect" but from close-minded leftists with a guilt complex (not accusing you of being one).

Brother None said:
shihonage said:
This point was made originally here, I merely reiterated it. He puts it much better than I could.

I know, but the point is void as long as you call it Christmas, rather than say X-Mas (or my preferred converted holiday, SexMass).

You don't need to have studied linguistics to know that this argument is bullshit.

I refuse to call it xmas, because I don't believe in words beginning with the letter "x" followed by another consonant, regardless of whether it is intended to represent the Greek letter "χ" (chi?) or the cross or whatever.

scypior said:
Ausir said:
The Witcher Christmas card was about Geralt slaying the magical mutant known as Santa Claus. :)

Huh? Where one should be signed to be on the list for these cards? On gram.pl?

Probably thewitcher.com, but that was 2 years ago, and I got a card last year as well.

They really need to grow some balls. Very lame and homosexual

PR disaster. Discipline their ranks on media relations. It's not about fearing our power, it's about looking bad, something which they need no help in. They are pro at it

Imperial Guard said:
They really need to grow some balls. Very lame and homosexual

PR disaster. Discipline their ranks on media relations. It's not about fearing our power, it's about looking bad, something which they need no help in. They are pro at it

Read trough the thread. It might be a good idea.

The card was so "meh" it's not even funny. It lacks any originality in it's concept at all.

Political correctness is one of the most silly things I see nowadays. It's Christmas. People celebrate it. They shove it in your face. Live with it, it's only during December.

And in the end: Hurrah for off-topic posts!

Back