MIB88 MegaMod - opinions, technical issues, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, thanks for the info. I'll look at his script and see if there is anything there that might give a reason for this sometimes happening. I have a feeling though that it might be just something random and outside my control.

Speaking of glitches with Klint, on your playthroughs, have you ever had him mysteriously disappear when you try to go to another map area? I've had this happen to me a number of times, and the only way I can keep it from happening is to randomly start dialogue with him, and then tell him to leave my small raiding band, and come back. Is it a bug, and has it been fixed?

I have never had Klint disappear from my party...and I always keep him in my party for playtesting purposes. I don't think this is a problem with Klint, though, but maybe something with the scripts for the maps themselves. Can you tell me what maps this has happened on? And is it the same maps all the time?

MIB,

I was wondering if there is a way for me - who doesn't do scripting, etc. - to tell if an event I experience in gameplay is most likely an issue with the mod (which would make it something you would want to know about) or with the engine or original game scripting (which would make it something you can't really do anything about.

In other words, is there a way I can pre-screen my questions so as to lighten your workload a little, or do you just want to hear about everything?

thanks

P.S. I have never had Klint disappear on me, either. I have only been to have a dozen locations (plus many random encounters), but I have had Klint in my party the entire time.

Misteryo said:
I was wondering if there is a way for me - who doesn't do scripting, etc. - to tell if an event I experience in gameplay is most likely an issue with the mod (which would make it something you would want to know about) or with the engine or original game scripting (which would make it something you can't really do anything about.

The only thing that can't be changed is the engine. All scripts can be modified. The biggest thing to look for is whether or not the event you encounter is reproducible: if you have the same problem in-game over and over again and not just once. And if the same bug keeps happening throughout the game when dealing with all sorts of different critters/characters, then it might be something in the engine. If the bug you encounter a significant part of the time is very specific in who you encounter it with (say, it only happens with Myron, or roaches, or entering Gecko), then it is most likely an issue with a script. Hope that helps.

The maps happened to be some random encounters in the eastern region of the world map. If there are specific encounters, then it usually corresponds with whenever you encounter, well, really anything that involves you getting attacked off the bat. But, I really noticed it when he tried to heal me when he had armor on. I'll run more tests, and see what I can come up with.

Re: Another Klint glitch

MIB88 said:
Unfortunately, Laddie doesn't level up. Hmm. There's an idea...

I seem to remember laddy only joined you utill the quest is over.
when Laddy joined me I had trouble to have him "stay". I know I once did it to let him stay somewhere and after the quest having laddy join me again even when johnny got back save. Normally Laddy would stay where you left him behind and giving "Woof" Text floats. Maybe Laddy is slighyly bugged? or maybe its just my brain :P

Is it hard to add level up characters for models? I know you have to create new proto types of the critter that has to level up and such, but I have no clue on the scripting part.In the past I tried to create a new joinable NPC. I wanted the Vault Boy from Fallout tactics to be my partner but I failed. (with the comments and stats etc) I then changed klints apearence with the vaultboy's ones. (wasn't quite easy.) so how that for an idea for the mod? It's one of the less things I really liked in Fallout tactics :)

Re: Another Klint glitch

Oracle said:
Is it hard to add level up characters for models? I know you have to create new proto types of the critter that has to level up and such, but I have no clue on the scripting part. In the past I tried to create a new joinable NPC. I wanted the Vault Boy from Fallout tactics to be my partner but I failed. (with the comments and stats etc) I then changed klints apearence with the vaultboy's ones. (wasn't quite easy.) so how that for an idea for the mod? It's one of the less things I really liked in Fallout tactics :)

It really isn't hard to add levels for characters. The scripts don't really have to be changed. All the info for leveling up is in the party.txt file. The hard part is just making sure the character levels themselves are balanced. So adding levels to Laddie, for example would be easy. However, his script would of course have to be changed just because he was meant to be onl a temporary character. If you want to add levels for characters, let me know in a pm, and I can give you some instructions on what to modify.
As for adding the Vaultboy from FOT, I have no plans to incorporate that.

@Nology: Let me know what you find. But I have the feeling that it is something peculiar to your setup and not a common bug.

Bug Report

I want to first say this is an excellent mod and adds new life to the old fallout series

My brother and I have been playing this mod (two different computers) for a while and we think it's great ! Kudos to all the modders and especially MIB88 for bringing it all together!

We're not worthy! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I have read through this entire thread and keep checking it everyday to see what has been added/fixed/etc.

We have followed the installation instructions on this thread and in the readme... (read-only/etc)

I finally got up the nerve to post (since I really don't post in general and this is my 1st post here)

I'd figured I'd be a little helpful by posting some bug reports and observations... (it's not complete but since your working on a new version I'd better get it out!)

Note: this is a compilation of what we both discovered on two different computers... and two different games

BUG REPORTS:

Vic:

Level resets after lvl up (any level up) usually after you leave a map...enter battle, reload the game, and/or check his inventory after 5 mins

to combat this I tried to erased all pro in critter files that was after that date (listed in this thread) when I:
- saved game
- changed location
- Vic leveling up

no luck in stopping reset of vic's level... and it was a pain to do the erasing... all work and no payoff!

experienced this problem with NV Mod separately (without the megamod... I tried that mod first...)

I don't remember if it occurred with the default Fallout2 game, but I don't think so.

I think it might be a problem with original game script or some other mod within this Megamod...

Miria:

When you marry her you also get the title "Gigolo", which I think is wrong
- I suggest your character get title after you sleep with her, Angela Bishop, and Mrs. Bishop (basically more than 1 person you sleep around) - not a big deal though

- After 1st Level Up - Miria's Carry Weight decreases by 5 for some reason

Klint:

Armor Problems - only with Leather Jacket (you can not reload game if Klint is wearing it)
- All other armor seems to work ok
- I know this was mention here in the thread but I wanted to give the specific reason for the crash (in my experience) so maybe you could narrow it down... (I just don't take leather jacket anymore to avoid this)

- Custom Dispositions in Combat Control Resets in initial game startup load game (but not after initial game start up) Not a big deal since after you start the game and fix his customs... it stays the same even if you re-load a game... as long as you don't exit the game to windows...

Occasionally you can not "push" him to get him out of the way - he just rotates. Most of the time you can "push" Klint but sometimes you have to change his distance (already mentioned in the thread) to solve that problem. Unfortunately I don't know if it is location related or random... I will keep you posted

Cassidy/Skynet:

Custom Dispositions in Combat Control Resets in initial game startup load game (but not after initial game start up - same as Clint)

NOTE: Other characters (sulik/miria/etc) don't have the Dispo Reset problem

NPCs on promotion of level Disarm weapons (remove in their hands)
not a big deal... but I thought I'd report it anyway

Lenny:

Still can not recruit him no matter what you do.

Skeeter:
Will not give you the 3-step plasma transformer Quest after the Toolkit Quest (as in the original game)

Mod/game issues Issues:

Scraptown doesn't work after a save game - even after saving outside of that town (We followed thread instructions to no avail)

Location North of Gecko:
We're not sure if it's the same location, but previously someone here post a screen shot where you get a image 'echo' of your character where it leaves a trail of your character's movements and then you cant see the screen and cant play that area....
well it happens in the location north of Gecko... too

New Reno:
New Reno Arms Eldridge upgrades Hunting Rifle to Scoped Rifle but gives you ridiculous amount of money instead of charging you.
For Example:
1st Time: I got approx. 50,000,000
2nd Time: I got approx. 75,000,000
3rd Time: I got approx. 210,000,000
etc.
(don't know the exact amounts but it was a lot of money (I think in the end I traded/gave over 300,000,000 to the traders... at least they have money now! - my hand was tired of all that clicking.... 99999 each time and it took along time to trade!)

Sierra Army Depot
- Nothing happens when you fix Sentry/Security robot (only says you repaired it but it disappears and doesn't join your party)
- I don't remember this bot in the original game
- Not allowed to Restart Computer to fix Brain Bot if you fix sentry robot first (and vice versa)

Weapons:

AK-198 - When Upgraded by Skeeter to AK-198NV it switches ammo to 7.62 as opposed to 5mm
- NOTE: Also Skeeter still calls in a FN-FAL in dialogue

Misc:

Chemistry Journals - What are they for?

ALL NPCs Disarm when switching Armor or Leveling Up

Taxi - Does not mark off locations on World Map once you visit them

Optimization of Gecko Plant - good ending? I know the Killnap Mod states that you can get the good ending for Gecko but I was not sure if that was for the repairing of the plant or you have to optimize the plant... I know in the original if you optimize it you get the bad ending for Gecko... wasn't sure...so just asking...

Random Encounters:

- Enclave and Deathclaws - Enclave Soldiers will be wounded and only attack after the deathclaws are killed (unless you shoot at Enclave also)

I understand that you are busy so you can disregard this post if you wish

I am not a modder/scripter (although I tried without success) so again I and my brother thank you and all the modders for making this game great :D

I hope this helps! :wink:

I also have alot of ideas on how to improve the game but since this is a long post and I am not a modder/scripter I didn't think I should post it now...

so please let me know if you want to hear my (and my bros) ideas and I will post them ...or pm if it's eaiser....

anyway good job and thanks a million! :)

Re: Bug Report

Thanks for the list. As I am releasing update 2.1 this Sunday or Monday at the latest. I will not hold up the update anymore for these items you have mentioned, although I will address them now and/or begin to work on them.

Pogue4 said:
Vic:
Level resets after lvl up (any level up) usually after you leave a map...enter battle, reload the game, and/or check his inventory after 5 mins

For a while I had this working right by putting the proto folder itself on read only. However, that has stopped working. The offending proto is file 0000062.pro. It has got to be a function of the modding process, as this .pro file was never changed. I see that the same error also appears in the thread about killap's patch. I honestly don't know what to do about it.

Pogue4 said:
Miria:
- I suggest your character get title after you sleep with her, Angela Bishop, and Mrs. Bishop (basically more than 1 person you sleep around) - not a big deal though

Are you sure about this? I thought you got this after sleeping with several women only, including the bathhouse girls and the new woman introduced in New Vision. Did your character already sleep with any of them?

Pogue4 said:
- After 1st Level Up - Miria's Carry Weight decreases by 5 for some reason
Noted. I'll check this out.

Pogue4 said:
Klint:
Armor Problems - only with Leather Jacket (you can not reload game if Klint is wearing it)
- All other armor seems to work ok
- I know this was mention here in the thread but I wanted to give the specific reason for the crash (in my experience) so maybe you could narrow it down... (I just don't take leather jacket anymore to avoid this)

- Custom Dispositions in Combat Control Resets in initial game startup load game (but not after initial game start up) Not a big deal since after you start the game and fix his customs... it stays the same even if you re-load a game... as long as you don't exit the game to windows...

Occasionally you can not "push" him to get him out of the way - he just rotates. Most of the time you can "push" Klint but sometimes you have to change his distance (already mentioned in the thread) to solve that problem. Unfortunately I don't know if it is location related or random... I will keep you posted

I am not sure what I can do about forcing the character to remember these settings. Killap did some work for this on a couple of characters, but because Klint is coded a little differently, I don't know what I can do about him. I had noticed the pushing thing. Only seems to happen in some doorways. Again, don't know what, if anything, I can do there.

Pogue4 said:
Cassidy/Skynet:

Custom Dispositions in Combat Control Resets in initial game startup load game (but not after initial game start up - same as Clint)

NOTE: Other characters (sulik/miria/etc) don't have the Dispo Reset problem

I will look into this. Killap had addressed this issue regarding Marcus and Cassidy. I don't remember if he worked on this with other NPCs. It is possible I didn't get the code right with Cassidy when I worked on that script.

Pogue4 said:
NPCs on promotion of level Disarm weapons remove in their hands)

Not a bug. Essentailly a new critter is created when an NPC levels up. Not everything is replaced. Don't think anything can be done about that.

Pogue4 said:
Lenny:
Still can not recruit him no matter what you do.

Addressed. Fixed.

Pogue4 said:
Skeeter:
Will not give you the 3-step plasma transformer Quest after the Toolkit Quest (as in the original game)

Not a bug. Go through Per's guide.

Pogue4 said:
Scraptown doesn't work after a save game - even after saving outside of that town (We followed thread instructions to no avail)

It wasn't supposed to be in yet anyway. This location will be turned off in the update.

Pogue4 said:
Location North of Gecko:
We're not sure if it's the same location, but previously someone here post a screen shot where you get a image 'echo' of your character where it leaves a trail of your character's movements and then you cant see the screen and cant play that area....
well it happens in the location north of Gecko... too

Abbey. Addressed. Fixed.

Pogue4 said:
New Reno:
New Reno Arms Eldridge upgrades Hunting Rifle to Scoped Rifle but gives you ridiculous amount of money instead of charging you...

A bug from New Vision. Addressed. Fixed.

Pogue4 said:
Sierra Army Depot
- Nothing happens when you fix Sentry/Security robot (only says you repaired it but it disappears and doesn't join your party)
- I don't remember this bot in the original game
- Not allowed to Restart Computer to fix Brain Bot if you fix sentry robot first (and vice versa)

New option for bot. I modified that. Addressed. Fixed.

Pogue4 said:
AK-198 - When Upgraded by Skeeter to AK-198NV it switches ammo to 7.62 as opposed to 5mm
- NOTE: Also Skeeter still calls in a FN-FAL in dialogue

Skeeter puts the correct ammo in it. I will change the dialog.

Pogue4 said:
Chemistry Journals - What are they for?

Not a bug. They have a use added by New Vision.

Pogue4 said:
ALL NPCs Disarm when switching Armor or Leveling Up

Addressed above.

Pogue4 said:

I don't understand this problem.

Pogue4 said:
Optimization of Gecko Plant - good ending? I know the Killnap Mod states that you can get the good ending for Gecko but I was not sure if that was for the repairing of the plant or you have to optimize the plant... I know in the original if you optimize it you get the bad ending for Gecko... wasn't sure...so just asking...

I used Killap's codes for Gecko.

Pogue4 said:
- Enclave and Deathclaws - Enclave Soldiers will be wounded and only attack after the deathclaws are killed (unless you shoot at Enclave also)

I don't know how to fix this yet. Essentially the game recognizes them as being on different teams, and therefore not involved in combat. It happens throughout the game wherever you have mixed critter groups.

Pogue4 said:
I am not a modder/scripter (although I tried without success)...
I also have alot of ideas on how to improve the game but since this is a long post and I am not a modder/scripter I didn't think I should post it now...
so please let me know if you want to hear my (and my bros) ideas and I will post them ...or pm if it's eaiser....

I hate that excuse. I am not a computer programmer. I just took the time to learn it.
Anyway, PM me your ideas. I'll be glad to look them over. However, don't send them if you are thin-skinned and cannot take criticism. I will be honest about anything you send me whether it is about implementation or the ideas themselves. I won't sugar-coat anything. Before you go into any long drawn out discussions in PM, though, just send me an abbreviated list. I say that because, depending on what the ideas are, it might be better to discuss in the forum for everyone to see and reply.

Further Info

Thank you for your timely answers.

Here some more info for ya.

Pogue4 said:
Miria:

MIB88 said:
Are you sure about this? I thought you got this after sleeping with several women only, including the bathhouse girls and the new woman introduced in New Vision. Did your character already sleep with any of them?

no... My brother and I played where we went to modoc right after picking up sulik (and we didnt "use" the bathhouse in klamath) and married Miria. We both got the "married" and "gigolo" title right after the shotgun wedding :lol:

we both didnt sleep with anyone else prior to being married

Pogue4 said:
NPCs on promotion of level Disarm weapons remove in their hands)

MIB88 said:
Not a bug. Essentailly a new critter is created when an NPC levels up. Not everything is replaced. Don't think anything can be done about that.

ok, that's what I thought... I just wanted to let you know, just in case you didnt know about it happening

Pogue4 said:
Skeeter:

MIB88 said:
Not a bug. Go through Per's guide.

Yeah I use Per's guide alot. The mission was there when I just used the New Vision mod. I followed the guide and got it to work before... just not in the megamod

My bro and I are getting the this same problem... dont know if anyone else is getting it... maybe we're doing something wrong...

Its not a big deal since it's not vital to the game and Skeeter will still upgrade weapons... just thought you'd like to know...

Pogue4 said:

MIB88 said:
I don't understand this problem.

Im not quite sure what you mean... but I meant that if the taxi drops you off at... SAD, you should be able to mark it off on your World Map once you leave the location by foot.

If I misunderstood your answer... then ignore my opinion :D

the rest of my ideas I'll pm you... and you can decide whether I should post them here :)

About Miria: I will go through her script and fix this.

About the Taxi: Now I understand. I suppose you are right. The location should be marked as known once you have been there. I will implement this.

About Skeeter: You have to have an item in your inventory that he can modify when you give him the toolkit. If you don't, he won't give you the quest for the transformer. Make sure you have such an item. That way, even if you don't have the part he needs yet, you can still go back later and get the free upgrade when you do get it.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas.

MIB88 said:
About Miria: I will go through her script and fix this.

ok thanks

MIB88 said:
About the Taxi: Now I understand. I suppose you are right. The location should be marked as known once you have been there. I will implement this.

sorry if I wasnt clear before... My english is not to good only been in this country for +30 years... j/k :lol: I blame the public skool sistem :P

MIB88 said:
About Skeeter: You have to have an item in your inventory that he can modify when you give him the toolkit. If you don't, he won't give you the quest for the transformer. Make sure you have such an item. That way, even if you don't have the part he needs yet, you can still go back later and get the free upgrade when you do get it.

ah maybe I missed that... I'll try it again then :?

MIB88 said:
Looking forward to seeing your ideas.

already sent... :D

Aha! I think I just replicated where the problem is, but I can't identify what may have done it. I suspect it has something to do with Klint also having problems with fighting, as when I went through some special encounters, he wasn't in the scrapping mood. He'd just sit there, and get pummeled by dogs, bugs, raiders, etc. Is there some way I can share the save file? I have it saved right before the disappearing happens.

sry if i don't go and read the previous 50 pages but heres my question

i believe i've been playing Fallout 2 on this mod since i found it

is it still in the works for upgrades? is there a new one in the works?

Nology5890 said:
Aha! I think I just replicated where the problem is, but I can't identify what may have done it. I suspect it has something to do with Klint also having problems with fighting, as when I went through some special encounters, he wasn't in the scrapping mood. He'd just sit there, and get pummeled by dogs, bugs, raiders, etc. Is there some way I can share the save file? I have it saved right before the disappearing happens.

Question for you first: was it nighttime? And were you standing close to him when this occurred? I have seen the other NPCs do this at one time or another. If it is night time and I am not standing next to them, they will allow themselves to get attacked without fighting back. Or, just as bad, I get attacked but they refuse to help me. I have also had this happen in caves, when I get attacked and they are out of my sight. Are you experiencing something like this? If so, I don't know how it could be fixed by scripting.

Actually, it was the middle of the day... :? So far, only Klint has had this ever happen to him. I'm typing up a small, complete timeline of my test time today, if you'd like to hear it.
Edit: Ah, hellz, I'll post it anyway.

-Started up FO2
-Loaded previous save: Wolf Pack (I always name my saves over recent events)
-Left map with Klint and Cassidy in my party
-Arrived in another map, again a random encounter, with more wolves
-slaughtered wolves, noticed Klint wasn't fighting, so I checked his combat area in dialogue
[-noticed that it said he was holding a combat knife, when he wasn't, and that he didn't have armor on, when he did, so I had him equip them]
-Left map, and hit another encounter, this time wolves and raiders
-I got slaughtered, because I was low on ammo, and Cassidy ran out of ammo, and Klint was gone, never to return

The area in brackets is where I think the problem is.

Alright, I'll go through his script and see if I can find anything. This really is weird. Would you mind doing me a favor, though? Can you test this with other weapon types for him and see if the same thing happens. I usually keep him armed with a sledgehammer or spear, and never saw any problems like that with those two weapons.

@MIB88: Most of the Devin's level-up code was taken from Miria, so you could check that one too ;)

I admit, I wasn't so skilled scripter back then, so it's probably not the perfect job I did - a reason more to go over it once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back