MIB88 MegaMod - opinions, technical issues, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That works, I just need to see if I can get out of the area where I encountered the problem initially (so many raiders, so little .223 ammo...)
Edit: And the problems begin to reveal themselves! After running another test today (3/4) with Klint using a spear this time, I conclude that the problem lies not within the weapon (well, part does, that was why he wasn't fighting, it seems Klint doesn't like knives, even though he equips them) it seems to be something with his armor. I had him wearing metal armor, and though it shows up on his person, it is technically, 'not' there. You can see it on his ingame sprite, but the stats of the armor and the confirmation that the armor is there in the combat control dialogue tell differently.

Hello, newbie to these forums from Finland hailing. I just want to commend the immense amount of work, dedication and time you have put on this mod MIB88 (while not forgetting the work done by the people who created the mods you have combined to form sheer awesomeness). Keep up the truly excellent work :wink:

Darn Wrench

I have no idea wether this is an idiosyncracy of the mod or the game itself.

If Klint or Vic have a wrench in their inventory, they switch to it at the first opportunity in battle. It's hilarious! Four of us (me, Sulik, Vic, Klint) travelling across the wasteland. We encounter some robbers attacking some highwaymen. I'm thinking, "Vic's .223 is gonna be re-e-al helpful about now." And he whips out A WRENCH! And then Klint does the same! And then, just for kicks, Sulik wastes 'em both with one spray of the smg. (at least that's consistent with the rest of my reality.)

All I can say is: last time I give those guys wrenches! (Or flares for that matter. Earlier, Sulik started throwing flares against radscorpions.)

Onward into the wastes...

Now you mention it Misteryo I recall them doing this to me as well.

Whilst it can be deemd fun to play the "When Wrenchs Attack!" game I do feel that something a might more powerfull would be advantagous against a horde of raiders. :roll:

I might actually have to run an unmodded game at some point and verify if its the mods prompting this odd behaviour.

lisac2k said:
@MIB88: Most of the Devin's level-up code was taken from Miria, so you could check that one too ;)

Thanks for reminding me about that.

@Nology5890: Please keep me posted on what you find.

@Spnkr117: Thanks for the kudos.

@Misteryo and youngnutter: I have seen this too with wrenches and other weapons. I don't think it is a function of any of the mods. The party NPCs (and enemy critters also from time to time) seem to select the weapon that they can use after moving. I think they just switch to whatever weapon they can use based off the number of APs they have left. As an aside, I can see Sulik wanting to throw things. I think I included a fix (by Killap?) that made his throwing skill better.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but I just finished an encounter with "Holy People" which they attacked and I killed. I put the purple robe on Klint and nows hes one of those midget guys. LOL

Oh and when in combat as a midget, it says his name is phil when he gets hit or hits something.

Ryan

I haven't found anything new yet, but I wanted to say that what you and Chris are doing for MR is amazing. Nice job on reviving a mod that deserved to be made in the first place, can't wait until you're done. :wink:

Klint/Phil

I, too, experienced Klint turning into Phil, a dwarf in coveralls, when I put the bridgekeeper's robes on him. His hit points drop to 40 or 45, and if I try to trade with him, I get a message: "This critter can't carry anything."

It's consistently reproducable, but since it's only with the bridgekeeper's robes, I just swapped out armors with him and had no more problems.

MIB, I'm having so much fun with this megamod, it's almost a crime. I love it being worth it again to talk to everyone, to examine new items, to wonder if I'm ever going to find a use for that thing I'm carrying around in my trunk... You've breathed new life into a favorite pasttime of mine.

thank you

Nology5890 said:
I haven't found anything new yet, but I wanted to say that what you and Chris are doing for MR is amazing. Nice job on reviving a mod that deserved to be made in the first place, can't wait until you're done. :wink:

Just to be clear: Chris is the scripting genius. I have been trying to get the latest update to the Megamod out so that I can assist him with this. But he hardly needs my help. Chris has been doing a ton of work lately on MR.

As for the robe and Klint, I obviously mixed up a critter PID. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have that fixed immediately.

Vic's body disappeared

Now, here's a weird one...

Vic, Sulik, Klint and I take on Metzger and co. Vic dies in the battle. I'm looting bodies after the fight, and I run to the west side to stash some stuff in my car trunk.

When I get back to Metzger's, Vic's body and everything he was carrying are GONE!

All I did was run to the west side and back. One or two gametime minutes. All the other bodies were still where I left them. Nothing had decomposed. All bodies still had the same contents.

And, no, Vic was not even piled up with another body. He was all by his lonesome where he fell - pudgy in life, valorous in death...

I don't think I'm going to try to recreate this one. I'll just play on without Vic and the several hundred shotgun shells he was carrying.

@Misteryo: I just saw that recently when Sulik got killed in the playtest I am conducting. I didn't give it much thought at the time, as I was focused on something much bigger. I have no idea what it might be. Maybe there is something in one of the walkthroughs about this. Maybe all party NPCs disappear like this after getting killed. Just gotta remember to loot your former comrades as soon as possible! :)

Klint's appearance with the robe has been fixed.

And some good news for everyone: I finally made it through all of Vault 14. Things appear to be working as they should. That was the last thing I needed to test. I need to reorganize all the updated files (there were a lot of changes I had to make while playtesting) and I will upload to one of this site's admins later today. It looks like this thing will be around 20 mb. Remember, you need to install 2.0 first, then install the next version after it. No need to reinstall everything if you are already using the 2.0 version...just copy/overwrite the new files into their appropriate locations.

Edit: Alright, the files have been sent to Silencer. And one more thing: Marrying Davin and Miria does not work. Not yet. If you try to do this, the game will hang (freeze). I will continue working on this, but this will be a minor update for later.

Hi all, Long time player of Fallout 2,first time poster. Just wanted to say HOOAH to the megamod (and all the mods ive tried in genral) and its creators! well done, thanks to you guys Im on the verge of a divorce after spending way to many hours playing fallout2 again :D .

A few notes on a still (im happy to see) very active mod,with aupdate coming soon... anyhoo if they have been touched on then sorry, i read about 10 pages of this thread so excuse me for being lazy..

1. Pushable Klint:
I have noticed that if you put klint on "stay close to me" on genral distance (that is non-combat setting) then he is pushable, any other distance(medium and far) and he refuses to move when pushed.
2. Skynet communication:
every time i speak to skynet(in the standerd brainbot body-havnt figured out how to use the sentrybot yet..) his first response is as if i had made him leave the party and wait..it doesnt really interfer with gameplay but is just a tad frustrating.
3.Roaches;
I have same prob with roaches not engaging combat EXCEPT the small ones ,and they have to be facing my direction as well..
4. Scraptown
Man is the dialoge buggy-lots of error-error messages, and any saved games in the are are unloadable...
5. a car wreck:
I found this one quite amusing, If its intention is to simulate you wrecking your own car then it works great cus after that encounter--no more car.. if its intention is otherwise then....

Well thats all the bugs ive had so far in an otherwise excellent mod..EPA frustrations... Im gonan shoot myron soon if he dont spill the beans... one question, other than the forums is there any hints in the game regarding EPA,ive been looking but no dice....

Poli said:
1. Pushable Klint:
2. Skynet communication:
3.Roaches;
4. Scraptown
5. a car wreck:

Well thats all the bugs ive had so far in an otherwise excellent mod..EPA frustrations... Im gonan shoot myron soon if he dont spill the beans... one question, other than the forums is there any hints in the game regarding EPA,ive been looking but no dice....

1. Been mentioned. I don't know how to fix that, though.
2. I just saw noticed this a couple of days ago. I thought it was a feature with only the new Skynet, though. Thanks for pointing this out. Obviously I messed something up with both of them.
3. Been mentioned. AI has been fixed. However, monsters will still only attack in groups. This is already the case. If you encounter slavers hunting with dogs, only one group attacks, unless you attack the group standing still. Encounters with scorpions and roaches, for example, are no different.
4. Addressed. It wasn't supposed to be released.
5. No, you aren't supposed to lose your car. This was a bug I had totally forgotten about, as I never have the car when I go to that site. I will fix this for the next release.

As for the EPA, there is nothing else in the game to hint at the EPA. You just need to talk to Myron...well, threaten him. I won't say anything else. If someone else wants to tell you, so be it. I won't get upset. Just not my style to give much gameplay help.

Cockroaches resurrecting/Endless Battle

Encounter: Some radscorpions and some cockroaches (big)

Combat goes fine at first. We fight the radscorpions. The cockroaches stay uninvolved until all the scorpions are dead. End combat. Immediately, the cockroaches attack. Now, here's where it gets weird.

I fire the killing shot to a cockroach - critical hit, eighty-some points of damage. I get the graphic of the cockroach exploding (whoever made that is good at what he does). I also get the box message: cockroach has sustained so many points of damage. Cockroach has been killed. Then, the cockroach resurrects and starts attacking again.

Now it gets even weirder. Once the resurrected cockroach is running around, combat turns are no longer one-player-at-a-time. As soon as my action points are spent, they light up again. Meanwhile, my npc party members are firing away. So is the cockroach, who gets killed many times and keeps resurrecting. No chance to end combat when it's dead since it comes back immediately.

I finally run away to the car to escape the madness.

No crash. No hang. No other problems. I play on for a while, get the same encounter with the same wacko results. Once again I run away to the car and get out of there. Once again, no crash, no hang, no other problems.

It happened a third time on a different game. Same general area of the worldmap, same encounter.

If it helps at all, it only happened the times I killed the cockroach and got the exploding death graphic. Other fights with cockroaches - just fine.

Thanks for your reply MIB88, and no, I will figure out Myrons secret myself, I might suggest adding a hint about the EPA in game itself, perhaps one of the lab tech's at the stables can mutter something along the line of "myron and his secrets"-anyhoo just a suggestion.

As for the Abby (just got there) it crashes, I read in the thread and if I understand correctly its been adressed and fixed for the next mod?

(Oh and just to be anal, how about a readme instalation file describing the steps listed on page 36 or so of this thread?)

One more thing, In the credits, your names aint got big enough font- nuff said :D

hooah!

MIB88, It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the EPA from somewhere else in the game, just to give an extra pathway for finding it.

If, for example, Myron got killed before you got the location, the EPA would be lost.

Maybe a file with it's location somewhere or a map in a research base?

Just a thought.

Chris Parks said:
MIB88, It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the EPA from somewhere else in the game, just to give an extra pathway for finding it.

If, for example, Myron got killed before you got the location, the EPA would be lost.

Maybe a file with it's location somewhere or a map in a research base?

Just a thought.

maybe from a computer from de sierra army depot. that the 2 locations are somehow linked.

MIB, i've been a long time out but readed throught the forum and there is nothing like what i will say, i think i discovered why some computers create additional proto files after your release.

I was with Miria and Davin in my team, then i deleted the archives, Davin was lvl 5 and after i deleted it, he came back to lvl 1, i was in NCR first time it happened, then i loaded the game a few saves back, and Davin was ok, i looked into the proto files, and there it was, new and fresh generated proto files with the date that i was playing it, strange....

I don't understand why the additional protos are being made in that folder, but I am still fairly certain that they don't belong there. Each savegame slot keeps a copy of maps and critter proto files. The problems might arise because the proto in the data/proto/critters folder is different from the data/savegame/slotxx/proto/critters folder. I don't know...

As for Myron and the EPA: The only reference to it in the FO Bibles said that Myron was to tell you about it. That is why I made it like that. But, I will think about it...

Someone wrote me a little while ago with some suggestions to make certain party members more useful. I disagree with doing anything like this. They are characters, and aren't all meant to be 'uber' characters. If a character is not as useful later in the game as he was in the beginning, then so be it. There should be advantages and disadvantages to having certain party members. I mention this here because this is also true of Myron. He has no real use in the game...except for certain things regarding the EPA and some very small extra dialog options. Players probably don't bother with him. If the location were just as easily obtained from some computer terminal, then there'd be even less of a reason to get Myron. However, keeping him in your party and protecting him might be the proper cost of getting into the EPA.

Edit: Misteryo, where did this encounter with the roaches occur?

Just downloaded 2.1, read the readme.

You fixed a lot! Thanks for all the hard work.

I look forward to install and play over the rest of the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back