MIB88 MegaMod - opinions, technical issues, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIB88 said:
The only file that I know is related to this that I altered is oscomptr.int. But like I said, mine is working fine and I have no idea why the loop is caused elsewhere. The only change I made related to the video you see of the deathclaws getting killed.
What you could try is using the same file from an earlier version of the mod...or even just try renaming/deleting that file from the scripts folder, thereby causing the game to use the original version.

Interesting. I deleted the file, and it still loops for me. I got the Voice chip before I got the quest to go get it. Could that be the problem?

Tempest Stormwind said:
Interesting. I deleted the file, and it still loops for me. I got the Voice chip before I got the quest to go get it. Could that be the problem?

No, that shouldn't matter. In fact, that is what I did. The problem then lies in another file. There are only two other that even remotely make sense: either ocgrutha.int or ocjimmy.int. However, if it is either of those files, then it means this bug has been around since Megamod 1. And it still doesn't explain why I do not get this bug. Hmmm. Would you mind renaming one of those files and testing this...and then renaming the other and doing a test run?

lonestar190 said:
I will try this as well. I can also send you a savegame if that would help at all.

Thanks, but that shouldn't be necessary to send it to me yet. I believe all of you. The problem is in a script, somewhere. Possibly a map variable. I just need to find it.

The bug I encountered is a bit difficult to explain, but I'll do my best.

You see MIB, I have 5 npc in my party. No big deal, right? Well, the thing is I have CH 6 and the magnetic personality perk. If you do the math, that counts for 4 npc.

So, the trick is that Klint never counts as an npc. You'll say he does. I say ok, but what if you tell him to wait, get the 4th npc in your party, then tell him to join you again? You see MIB, he can't refuse.

Now I wasn't going to report this, but, now the game crashes, and Klint sometimes dissapears from my party. The crashes occur when I try to load a saved game. But not any, just ceirtan saved games, so you see this is hard to explain. I checked the protos again, did all that stuff, but the only way seems to load a previous game.

The problem came in effect after I killed Frog Morton in Redding, and his brothers came after me. Every time I tried to load a saved game from that battle, I couldn't leave the map (black screen).

I figured it was Klint, so I dropped him in New Reno, and wondered around the map till I found and killed the brothers.No problem here.I go pick him up, and it's all ok.

But when we get to V14, he dissapears from my party when I get inside, and after I try load a game from V!4, I get the black screen.

The solution came with leaving Klint outside, and clearing the inside with the other 4 npcs.

By the way, found anything on Goris or the vault module?

Smoke_Jaguar said:
So, the trick is that Klint never counts as an npc. You'll say he does. I say ok, but what if you tell him to wait, get the 4th npc in your party, then tell him to join you again? You see MIB, he can't refuse.

Now I wasn't going to report this, but, now the game crashes, and Klint sometimes dissapears from my party. The crashes occur when I try to load a saved game. But not any, just ceirtan saved games, so you see this is hard to explain. I checked the protos again, did all that stuff, but the only way seems to load a previous game.

The problem came in effect after I killed Frog Morton in Redding, and his brothers came after me. Every time I tried to load a saved game from that battle, I couldn't leave the map (black screen).

I figured it was Klint, so I dropped him in New Reno, and wondered around the map till I found and killed the brothers.No problem here.I go pick him up, and it's all ok.

But when we get to V14, he dissapears from my party when I get inside, and after I try load a game from V!4, I get the black screen.

The solution came with leaving Klint outside, and clearing the inside with the other 4 npcs.

By the way, found anything on Goris or the vault module?

Regarding the voice module, I just talked about it.

Now, Klint:

I said elsewhere he really is a cheat. I never added the code to make him take into account how many other NPC's you have in your party. However, the other NPCs see him. But, as you have already figured out, just get them to join first and then get Klint to join. It's the same with Miria.

And again, not sure what could be causing this. I have had Klint since the beginning. Took him with me to kill Frog Morton. No problem. Took him with me into Vault 14. Again, no problem.

So, the problem isn't with Klint. I use to get crashes like this that I thought were due to NPCs. Turns out I had some bad protos in the critters and items folders that were corrupting my game. Can you look in those folders again. There were files there that weren't meant to be there. Also, a lot of the files that were corrupted were only half the size of the normal files (items, if I remember correctly, were only about 65 bytes, and critters were about 200 bytes).

I said after I killed Frog Morton. His brothers came for me, Snake, and the other 2, on the world map. Killing them and exiting the map would crash my game. After I left Klint in New Reno, and wondered the world map to meet them, I killed them, got out, no prob.

I saw the vault info about that file, I meant something more concrete. I don't know why you suspect me of not reading before posting.

Almost forgot, in V14, after I kill the mutant leader, in that room I keep seeing a floating text, next to a computer, but I can't use it, nor the 2 monitors next to it.

I still can't give the letter to Tandi. Even after 2.1.1. No text line appears, and the letter can't be used on her.

I know you said it before, but in the readme it said the mutant armor changed some stats too. I can't look in Marcus statistics, so again, it's just for show?

I have renamed all three files and loaded up my savegame. Still having the voice module loop. Do I need to start a new game?

Smoke_Jaguar said:
I said after I killed Frog Morton. His brothers came for me, Snake, and the other 2, on the world map. Killing them and exiting the map would crash my game. After I left Klint in New Reno, and wondered the world map to meet them, I killed them, got out, no prob.

I saw the vault info about that file, I meant something more concrete. I don't know why you suspect me of not reading before posting.

The reason for my comment was because you asked about it just about 20 minutes since I posted my latest thoughts on it, and I hadn't even heard anything back yet from those testing their games.

As for Klint and the Mortons, I understood what you said. I was trying to point out that Klint was in the party before the attack, during the attack, after the attack, and ever since, with no problems. This includes killing their brothers in random encounters.

Smoke_Jaguar said:
Almost forgot, in V14, after I kill the mutant leader, in that room I keep seeing a floating text, next to a computer, but I can't use it, nor the 2 monitors next to it.

Yeah, it is the script for a bandit. Unfortunately, I can't get rid of it because it is not attached to anything. That object... Nevermind. Weird modding problem. I just don't know how to get rid of it. Wait a sec. Just got inspired. I can set it to only talk on a certain map (the right map). I'll change this.

Smoke_Jaguar said:
I still can't give the letter to Tandi. Even after 2.1.1. No text line appears, and the letter can't be used on her.

I'll look at this. Again, weird, since mine is now working and I did include the same files as mine in the update. You should be able to just talk to her. Just as a point, though, make sure the letter is in your inventory, and not your hands.

Smoke_Jaguar said:
I know you said it before, but in the readme it said the mutant armor changed some stats too. I can't look in Marcus statistics, so again, it's just for show?

I based my comment on the fact that there were no new protos for Marcus. I just went through the script, though. There are actually quite a bit of advantages (perks) added to Marcus in armor. Bet you'd like to know what they are, huh? :P

lonestar190 said:
I have renamed all three files and loaded up my savegame. Still having the voice module loop. Do I need to start a new game?

Not to still win the game. You can still get the GECK by just taking it yourself from storage. Anyway, thanks for the news. So the problem isn't with those files. This doesn't make sense. I have found the variables involved, and they are not called anywhere else in the game that I can think of. The only thing I can say is that I'll keep looking.

Edit: Eureka people. There is a file in your maps folder: vault13.gam. This file belongs in your Data/data folder. The game actually has another vault13.gam file for the map and it is trying to read this one instead. The game needs to read its original vault13.gam file for the map. If you move this file out, it will resolve the looping dialog and will probably fix a few other things as well.

Edit: Eureka people. There is a file in your maps folder: vault13.gam. This file belongs in your Data/data folder. The game actually has another vault13.gam file for the map and it is trying to read this one instead. The game needs to read its original vault13.gam file for the map. If you move this file out, it will resolve the looping dialog and will probably fix a few other things as well.

So I am supposed to put it in the
C:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2\DATA\Data folder right?

Do I have to start a new game to get the good deathclaw ending if I have already visited vault 13?

Also, a possibly related bug, I get 2000 XP for discovering vault 13 every time I enter the top floor of vault 13.

I first copied the vault13.gam file into the data/data folder, overwriting the file already there. I then renamed the vault13.gam file in the maps folder. Started the game, still no ability to put in the voice module. I then renamed the three previous files back to their original name. Still no change. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to start a new game for the changes to take effect?

lonestar190 said:
Started the game, still no ability to put in the voice module. I then renamed the three previous files back to their original name. Still no change. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to start a new game for the changes to take effect?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Starting a new game isn't necessary. However, you will probably need to revert to a game that you had before talking to Gruthar for the first time, or even better, before you even entered Vault 13 map for the first time.

LOL, well im gonna try this fix myself, i had the same vault13 bug.... but i dont think i gots any saved games left from before... But hey, its not like restarting is a bad thing :)

edit:Well HOOAH, i found a saveslot from awhiles back, and MIB's fix works a treat, cut the file from maps and paste it into data,no renaming or other stuff neede..
Thanks Mib..

MIB88 said:
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Starting a new game isn't necessary. However, you will probably need to revert to a game that you had before talking to Gruthar for the first time, or even better, before you even entered Vault 13 map for the first time.

Did this, worked great. Thanks for the help!

Silencer said:
All, an update is available in the downloads section, also, the download was updated.

Thanks again, Silencer, for cleaning up the mess I made. :wink:

Yesterdays mess is todays challenge and will become tomorrows Eureka moment.

:D

Have not as yet poked the awesomeness that is the MM 2.1 due to RL hassles and complications but i think thats settled down to a managable level now so this weekend i can once again don my lateral thinking hat and quip my way through the megamod.

/salute MIB88 (and all else involved)

MIB,

To install the 2.1.1 update, I ended up having to do a fresh install of the game, the mod and all the updates. Everything is working great. But, as a result I have started over again and noticed a small thing I haven't seen mentioned.

In Hakunin's tent there is a chest that is not searchable. Player bends over as if he is going to search, but then aborts.

No affect on gameplay, but is this a bug, a missing script, part of an unimplemented plot?

I think that you were originally supposed to be able to steal from that chest and it would lower your karma. I just tried it and it doesn't work, which is weird since the mapper shows that there is a script attached to the chest. I will fix this. Thanks for letting me know.

As a minor note: the gauss pistol/rifle reversal in Eldridge's script has been corrected. The voice in Vault 14 next to the computer on the 'Boss' level has been fixed. Still can't figure out yet why you can't confront Goris about being a deathclaw. The script looks sound...

Also, in Klamath, in Buckner's, there is a back store room you have to pick a lock to get into. And there is a cooler in there, but it's empty! Only empty locked room in FO2 I think. Is something missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back