More Fallout 3 Gameplay Footage

Oh and for all of you who are saying the fatman is unrealistic.. how is it less realistic than mutants, ghouls, laser rifles, powered armor, ghosts, talking radscorpions that play chess, robots, cyborgs, ETC ETC ETC. Some of you guys are making me laugh.

...even when he shot people in the face most of their limbs would fall off too

In Fallout 1&2 their limbs would get "ripped" off from their bodies. In this video what I see, is like they were attached together with a string and when Todd shot at his/her head, all the strings were disconected and the limbs fell on the ground like meat bags without any bones.

What Beth did, they used simulation for it. In previous Fallouts we have animations.

Simulation is better than animation. For example, check out the upcoming "Star Wars:Force unleashed" tech demo video on youtube.

Conclusions?
Bethesda's simulation sucks.

Bad_Karma said:
So i'm really waiting forward to at least see some real RPG-conversation. Until now they didn't impress me.
While Vampire Bloodlines really did with their teasers consisting of brilliantly animated conversations...

I still surprises me that this isn't being mocked all-out. Nevermind how silly Oblivion looked after Bloodlines incredibly well-done facial expressions and body poses, but Fallout 3 looks like a real joke after Mass Effect.

I am pretty shocked that no journalists are calling them out on this. If we're talking about things no longer fitting in our "next-gen" expectations, people standing stock-still, staring at you and reading out their lines is definitely one.

pyrock said:
Oh and for all of you saying the fatman is unrealistic.. how is it less realistic than mutants, ghouls, laser rifles, powered armor, ghosts, talking radscorpions that play chess, robots, cyborgs, ETC ETC ETC. Some of you guys are making me laugh.

Verisimilitude.

Imagine you were talking about Star Wars and pink ponies. Pink ponies are unrealistic, so are laser swords. Does that mean it would make sense to put pink ponies in Star Wars? No. Same thing for a short-ranged nuclear launcher a grim-nuclear setting like Fallout.

pyrock said:
-Ridiculous weapon concepts (fatman at close range, teddybear launcher, etc)

Power armor + point blank rocket launcher = Iffy, but ok.
Vault suit + point blank fatman = Fuck this game.

The BB gun was probably the most outrageous of all of the weapons in Fallout2. The teddy bear launcher, flaming sword, fatman, gravity gun, cryogenic gun etc. are just plain dumb and don't fit in with Fallout. When did you ever have a gun that didn't shoot either metal projectiles, feasible rockets, fire, lasers, or plasma in Fallout? The Solar pistol was the only exception, but at least it was feasible.

Have you not played fallout 2?

No, I just post on this site for satire and sarcasm-related reasons only.

-Poor gameplay/converting FO's turn-based style into an FPS: So far we've only seen short teasers and 5 minute gameplay sessions. I wasn't too impressed by the first gameplay vid, but it's very hard to judge without playing it myself.

Use your imagination. It's not like changing areas is going to completely change the combat/perspective system. I love the good 'ol, "Haven't played it yet" argument.

I'll let you wait until we see dialogue. But if Todd says one of the best dialogue choices to a ghoul is, "Gah!! What the fuck are you?" I'm not that impressed.

EDIT:
Ausir said:
But the easter eggs were that - they were hidden, they weren't the game's selling point presented by the devs at every occasion.

No matter how many times we say it, they just won't get it.

EDIT x2:
Brother None said:

Ah, I had forgotten about that wonderful word.

pyrock said:
Oh and for all of you who are saying the fatman is unrealistic.. how is it less realistic than mutants, ghouls, laser rifles, powered armor, ghosts, talking radscorpions that play chess, robots, cyborgs, ETC ETC ETC. Some of you guys are making me laugh.

Are you one of those people who think that nothing can break suspension of disbelief in a fantasy novel because "HEY THERE ARE DRAGONS YOU ASSHOLES"?

Power armor + point blank rocket launcher = Iffy, but ok.
Vault suit + point blank fatman = Fuck this game.

He was using hacks for the sake of the demo. The game still needs a lot of work.

pyrock said:
He was using hacks for the sake of the demo. The game still needs a lot of work.

No it doesn't. It's a few months out, has been submitted for ratings and Todd Howard himself has said it's "pretty much done". It officially doesn't need a lot of work, I wish people would stop trying to pull that one in.

But yes, the demo has a hacked character. Duh. Really doesn't make a point-blank nuclear weapon make more sense or fit better in the Fallout setting, tho'. It doesn't grind well with Fallout's dark approach to nuclear weaponry, it's too light-hearted, and realistically short-range nuclear weaponry never works.

Yes, it makes some sense as a weapon exclusive to power armour wearing troop, but since a lot of the war is fought domestically I doubt there'd be much appreciation of its...environmental effects.

pyrock said:

What do you want to say us?
That the Fatman will become the Littleboy? - pun intended.
I don't think so...
Showing 90% of the time a feature that will only be a easter-egg is off.... i would say that's even more off, than adding a nuclear-catapult weapon with a distance that in reality you would getting fried within a second...

But yeah... i will wait for seeing the released game... or better said hearing and reading about it, because i'm not planning on playing it.

on another note: can ANYONE recall a game that tho its trailers and demos sucked, turned out magnificent when it was finally released? thought about it, came up with nothing.. well, that happens mostly, but nonetheless... is there any?

I know of games that are excellent and had very little publicity, and a lack of trailers or demos can be considered bad. But other then that not really.

it just crossed my mind. we all know lots of trailers that looked great while the game didnt turn out too well. hellgate london comes to mind there.

and to pick up on another strain of thought that recurrently surfaces here: the graphics which are shown are FAR from mindblowing. i dont even talk about the ragdoll thing here, but just what you see in your surroundings. surely, they are not bad, yet still it has the feel of randomness and lacks coherency. perhaps it is just that there is too much of the same stuff where omitting items would have been the way to go. maybe its just me, but thats somewhat alienating. (alienating me from a post-apocalyptic scenery... right :crazy: )

horst said:
on another note: can ANYONE recall a game that tho its trailers and demos sucked, turned out magnificent when it was finally released? thought about it, came up with nothing.. well, that happens mostly, but nonetheless... is there any?

Fallout.

I found this over on Games Radar about lockpicking:

Instead, you'll have to jam a screwdriver up in there before poking around inside it with a hairpin, all while (on the console versions, anyway) using the controller's vibrations as a guide for how well you're doing. Hit the right angles with the screwdriver and pin, and you'll pop the lock - but just like in Oblivion, lockpicks are fragile, and these will break if you're not careful. Still, though - at least now there's challenge to it.

Um.. how is that going to work on the PC?

pyrock said:

Eh? I can't really remember Fallout trailers, but its demo is fantastic, and the pre-release PR I've seen would've caught my attention.

K.C. Cool said:

Different mini-game, probably.

K.C. Cool said:

Either a visual cue or sound effect.

That or with psychokinesis, they will actually vibrate your keyboard and mouse through time and space all for the sake of immersion.

pyrock said:
Argh I fucking hate kiddies who think FO ripped off Bioshock.

What?

Man, are you even talking to anyone? It's like you're just babbling random lines into the void.

Back