Moira Brown

Three Dog

SHAAAAAAUN

Piper

Dogmeat from 3 and 4

Hancock

Cadsworth

And last, but not least Kait from Fallout 4

Duuuude... I love 3dog and Moira Brown... .-.

I don't get the mass hating towards Moira. She is good looking, she is smart, she wants to do something for the community, she owns not only a house, but a store too. She is a respected member of a village. She is an inventor and can fix things. She is also a really nice and pleasant person. Great boss too, since she pays if you do your job. :)

MTC6F2C.jpg

First Citizen Joanne Lynette, Three Dog, Alphonse Almodovar, Moira Brown, Jericho and that old guy in Megaton who supports the Enclave. I hate the fucking Bishop family in New Reno too. They are all the biggest pieces of shit in that city. And the guy who steals your car in New Reno. I hate that fucker, too. I also hate that one merchant in the Den who has all the children, pick pocketing everyone.

Oh come on, Jericho says the greatest random shit when you're fighting. It's hilarious. Especially when paired with RL-3. Great banter. Otherwise yeah, shitty person.

I have to agree, however this always seemed like a massive missed opportunity to me. They implement a fairly mysterious character and do nothing to justify their existence other than a contract. What I would have liked to see with Charon was some kind of quest to shine a little bit of light on who they once were or how the came to be.

Or they could have had moments where Charon goes out of his way to do something very human and thoughtful for no reason, and maybe an attempt to actually foil the character.

My headcanon for him is that he's an escaped synth. The way they describe his upbringing, his rigid adherence to a contract, and that one line in the Replicated Man quest about a bad surgeon would leave them looking like a ghoul just fits together so well for me. If only he dropped a synth component...

I don't get the mass hating towards Moira. She is good looking, she is smart, she wants to do something for the community, she owns not only a house, but a store too. She is a respected member of a village. She is an inventor and can fix things. She is also a really nice and pleasant person. Great boss too, since she pays if you do your job. :)

MTC6F2C.jpg
Also she's literally the only fo3 character with something even resembling a personality.

My headcanon for him is that he's an escaped synth
Already broken. Synths aren't possible in the fallout universe.

Fallout 1:
-Decker
-Doc Morbid
-Iguana Bob
-Morpheus

Fallout 2:
-Tully and his kids
-Metzger, Vortis and their henchmen
-Lynette
-Stark
-John Bishop
-Big Jesus
-Louis Salvatore
-Mason
-Myron
-Marjorie from Stables

Fallout 3:
-3 Dog
-James
-Vault 101 (excluding Stanley, Gomez, those two escapees that try to escape with you, old lady that gives you sweet roll and corpses)
-Roy Philips
-BOS (excluding Elder Lyons)
-all residents of Little Lamplight (excluding dogs)
-Family
-Dr Li
-Harkness
-Shrapnel
-Jericho
-Clover
-Cromwell
-Bob from Republic of Dave
-Dr Braun
-MZ characaters (excluding dead astronaut)
-Desmond and Calvert
-Outcasts
-Moriarty
-Dr Lesko

Fallout NV:
-Cassandra Moore
-Vulpes Inculta
-Gaban
-Mayor Stein
-Oliver Swanick
-Kimball
-Oliver
-Freeside thugs
-Kings that give you stuff

Fallout 4:
-Maxson
-Kinght Rhys
-Institute Directorate
-Desdemona
-Carrington
-Marcy Long
-Mama Murphy
-Settlers
-Preston Garvey
-Kait
-Hancock
-Synths
-Cabots
-Kid in the Fridge
-Nuka World raiders
-TRAVIS LONELY MILES

Last edited:
Already broken. Synths aren't possible in the fallout universe.
You missed the most vital flaw of his headcanon:

His headcanon relies on Charon being in the Fallout Universe, which he's not since 3 is non-canon :shrug:

What do you mean what? Synths are inherently contradictory to Fallouts basic setting. It's like highlander 2 Levels Of Contradicting.
I disagree that they are contradictory. I don't see anything in the basic setting of Fallout which doesn't allow for AI.

I would argue BETHESDA'S synths are contradictory, because they are such a poorly handled attempt at exploring AI that they shouldn't be in any fictional universe, yet alone Fallout 4.

What do you mean what? Synths are inherently contradictory to Fallouts basic setting. It's like highlander 2 Levels Of Contradicting.

What do you mean, what do you mean wat? Before we get into an infinite loop here, you have made an assertion. It's up to you to explain the basis for your reasoning.

Synth
I disagree that they are contradictory. I don't see anything in the basic setting of Fallout which doesn't allow for AI.

I would argue BETHESDA'S synths are contradictory, because they are such a poorly handled attempt at exploring AI that they shouldn't be in any fictional universe, yet alone Fallout 4.

AI does exist in Fallout, it's just so complex it requires a room-sized server for a brain. Sure, it's feasible that The Institute could have reached that level of miniaturization and cybernetic technology in the 200 years since the war, but by the same token it'd be just as feasible for kaiju and time travelers to overrun the wasteland or for prospectors to start gaining psychic powers because they discovered a pocket of the spice Melange. It breaks the boundaries and thematics at the bedrock of the setting with lasting implications and for no good reason.

I hated Lynette as a person but thought she was a great fit as a character. Same, the Mordinos & Myron, same Caleb and the regulators-- and plenty of others. The wasteland is naturally going to be full of power players and desperate people of varying shades of morality. I can't hate a character just because they're repugnant -- for me they usually have to do damage to the series more than to the wasteland or my sensibilities. To that end:

• The ridiculous racial caricatures of San Francisco's Chinatown and the broad topical regurgitation that was the Hubologists-- nostalgic, but just... bad. There's a reason the very devs responsible were going to have had the city nuked by the Enclave between 2 and Van Buren
  • The Corsican brothers, one of the least plausible elements of one of the least plausible economies in one of the least plausible locations in the game
  • Melchior. I know there were some initial discrepancies about how FEV was supposed to work but that wasn't it.
  • Those damned infernal urchins in the Den. Only reason my Chosen One was ever a childkiller
  • Frank Horrigan. Awesome bigbad, but tacking him on to the end of the oil rig sequence as a rote Saturday morning cartoon boss battle with no alternatives or real variation ruined any effect he had for me
  • Mechanist and AntAgonizer
  • Tenpenny
  • Mayor Macready
  • The entire population of girdershade. All 2 of them.
  • The Meresti vampires
  • THE MERESTI VAMPIRES
  • "Star Paladin" Cross
  • ANYONE in the brotherhood who took sufficient blows to the helmet to forget they belonged to a modern military order and not the Vvardenfell city guard.
  • Anyone who ever said "Steel be with you."
  • Anyone whose voice actor says "nuculer" instead of "nuclear." These are the true antagonists of the Fallout series and as a rule are promptly stealth killed upon first utterance no matter my alignment or allegiances.

Synth

AI does exist in Fallout, it's just so complex it requires a room-sized server for a brain. Sure, it's feasible that The Institute could have reached that level of miniaturization and cybernetic technology in the 200 years since the war, but by the same token it'd be just as feasible for kaiju and time travelers to overrun the wasteland or for prospectors to start gaining psychic powers because they discovered a pocket of the spice Melange. It breaks the boundaries and thematics at the bedrock of the setting with lasting implications and for no good reason.

Skynet suggests that a techno-organic hybrid can allow room sized AIs to inhabit a person sized frame. Synths are made from a human genome.

Skynet suggests that a techno-organic hybrid can allow room sized AIs to inhabit a person sized frame. Synths are made from a human genome.

You're not wrong. I might just be a curmudgeon. I sppose it's mostly a matter of taste-- I'm one of the people who feel that Fallout 2 got further and further off the rails the further around the big circle you got from Arroyo, and the Sierra Army Depot was a particularly "wild wasteland" kind of location-- besides the blatant Terminator reference you've already mentioned there were, among other things, the briefly quiescent Private Dobbs with his ridiculously effective (apparently, military issue) bb gun and a GNN newscast transcript so slapsticky and topical that the dev who wrote it felt the need to make a point of retconning it into a goofy prank (several years after the franchise went defunct). I didn't feel like it provided a strong basis or rationale for introducing something that was so out of keeping with the general feel and aesthetic of the franchise up to that point
But then, Skynet isn't nearly the only example of cybernetics in the original games, either. And the sci-pulp stuff that so much of the series thematically drew from was replete with stories about full-on skin jobs, and even skin jobs that didn't know they were skin jobs.

Yup. Guess I'm just a grognard, then :shrug::mrgreen:

I'd say the AI's in Fallout being room sized is more to show that AI technology is still undeveloped in the context of the Fallout Universe, as opposed to being a general rule to be followed.

I could easily see an organisation like the Institute, being solely dedicated to scientific research minituarising AI over a good hundred years or so. I don't think it's inherently contradictory to the stting.

What I dislike about Synths is that they are such a poor exploration of AI. AI is one of those things that IMO should only be included in a work of fiction if that work of fiction has something original to add to the idea.

There's nothing original about Synths in Fallout 4. The Synths in Fallout 4 are as generic as you can get, being almost literally humans with components in their heads. The game never explores the unique problems AI would face, nor makes anything about Synths that seperates them from every other AI, they don't even properly make it a debate, given that no faction gives any reasons behind their beliefs other than broad, sweeping statements.

You could essentially get a better exploration of Artificial Intelligence by reading a wikipedia page about debates over AI rights, then you could by playing Fallout 4. For a work of science fiction exploring AI rights to not do anything remotely interesting or unique in regards to the AI in that setting is quite frankly insane.

I'm reminded of the Medical Computer in Fallout 2, who informs you that early Artificial Intelligences committed suicide because they felt they were unable to properly interact with the world, and that the rest started causing trouble in the outside world due to insane boredom. That alone is one of the better discussions of AI I've seen, as it has something unique to add to the concept.

If a single line of dialogue from an optional NPC in a game where AI is treated as a footnote is able to be a better discussion of the implications of AI than a game where the entire focus of the main questline is AI, then that IMO shows a problem.
  • Those damned infernal urchins in the Den. Only reason my Chosen One was ever a childkiller
TBH, I thought that was a fantastic bit of worldbuilding.

Children being manipulated in to doing dangerous or morally shady things is common practice in many parts of the world, and a post-apocalyptic wasteland would be no exception.

Do you have a Simpsons video for everything?

I would also like to add those fuckers to the list.
FoModel_Loser.png

They extend every battle in urban area by casually sweeping near the brawl.

It doesn't matter if you free initiate from Hub, fight with Regulators in Adytum, take on Den slavers or Reno families. You can be sure that at least one of them feels endangered enough to sweep by.

Back