Fallout 2 mod My sFall Mods and Tools

The program created in win7 64,it will not run in any OS earlier then win xp,Sorry

Nirran

.Pixote. said:
Hi Nirran...I have a new request - a Tile Cutting tool. A Photoshop action was built, but ultimately the tiles need their own special tool. One in which you can -

* Load the image (any size).
* Add the Fallout color palette.
* Slice the image into tiles.
* Save the tiles as FRM's (with the extra 8bit BMP or GIFs images).
* Proper naming convention (max 8 characters).

Wait, doesn't the Tilecutter come with slicing plus conversion to FRM and PRO files already? :scratch:

The link doesn't work anymore (I lost my copy of the file)...and Tilecutter was basically a Photoshop Action, I've built a similar action that cuts the image into 20x20 tiles, that's 400 separate tiles, but still a proper tool that has more flexibility would be very useful.

Can anyone pass me Tilecutter 2.0... :mrgreen:

if that tool exists why are you asking for a new one?is it broken or not finnished?

Nirran

It's not that easy to use and it's range is only limited. So if you have big art to split, you need to fiddle around a lot.

Nirran said:
if that tool exists why are you asking for a new one? Is it broken or not finished?

The tool works, but requires Photoshop...also it cuts from the top to the bottom, instead of from the bottom to the top (left to right). It can only cut 100 tiles, which is too small IMO.

We need a tool (a program with a interface, options, etc) that would allow us to bring in a large image, crop it to the size we want, and then cut it up and convert it into FRM's. The frame offset numbers for the FRM's would need to be x-0 / y-0, so there wouldn't be any problems there.

This is an example of the action I've made in Photoshop. The problem is you get a lot of waste - this building takes up about half of the alloted space, but the empty tiles can be easily deleted and the usable tiles renamed with File Renamer Basic.

023mastertilelayout.gif

@Lexx - thanks man. I'm getting this action ready for the Cathedral. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I'm using the Tilecutter action as the basis to build a new action, one that will take all 400 tiles. This will take a while... :roll:

Fallout1FTW said:
I'm curious, what are you going to do with the Cathedral? Is there something wrong with it?

Restoring the cathedral

I was going to finish the Cathedral for Fallout 1. Lexx was working on it, and I thought I would help him out and finish it. It still requires a lot of work, but the big issue for me was cutting it up into tiles...that will be soon fixed with Tilecutter version 3. :mrgreen:

The map in Fallout 1 will need some adjustments, but it will look great when finished. I think it will be made up of about 1000 tiles, so it's going to be a tricky one to finish...

[spoiler:a68419573c]
scale.gif
[/spoiler:a68419573c]

1000 tiles?! :o It would be better to make scenery pieces out of it. That's at least what I do with such big art items. For example, one art item ended up in 40 scenery items at their maximum size. I don't want to think how much tiles that would be

Sure - I can do it that way; I can adjust the frame offset numbers so the PC can run behind it...but I still want to be able to make tiles from larger artworks with just one click of the mouse. :P

Keep in mind that you must reflect in-engine situation. Tiles aren't scenery, Frames Offset is always 0,0. You can't change that. You can adjust scenery as much as you want, but not the tiles. So you must know exact placement of them. I needed to take a screen shot and transfer their position to the psd, and then I could start a proper split. Something like this:

I had an art, then I adjusted walls, next I created a fake roof to know where exactly engine is placing tiles (because you can't adjust their offsets):

scr00000.gif

I took the screenshot to PS, now I did know where the tiles are and started the split:

direction.gif

--------------------EDIT

Of course, you don't need all of them. You only need to know position of one tile (or two, if you need to create ground + roof), then you can move a template to fit, either roof, or ground. I needed all, since I didn't have any template, and split was done manually.

Do you remember this wall?

Look how wall is going across the ground tile. It should border with it. First I should adjust the wall, next I should check its position with ground tiles, and after that split roof. But I adjusted wall, I didn't check its position, and I started the split. Result you can see above. Of course, you can't move the wall to proper position, because roof tiles will not fit it. The only way to fix that is to take whole thingy back to PS, and split roof tiles from scratch, because you can't change their offsets.

Yep, that's what I do too. I first build the walls, then take the screenshot and adjust the roof inside the Photoshop.

I tried creating the roof first but that just didn't work.

The walls are the key factor, they need to be made with the standard frame offset numbers and size - I use the bottom left hand corner as the key point to work from...but sometimes you still end up with shitty edges.

This brick building is all tiles...it can be added to the top of the regular red brick buildings for effect. I didn't want to add the roof section, that way you can mix and match - that's why there is a large gap in the ceiling. One small problem is that each upper level window should have a room behind the window - floor, etc...doesn't matter. :roll:

I use the grid to help with the position of the object before it's made into tiles.

[spoiler:44e60616a8]
test03.gif

test05.gif

[/spoiler:44e60616a8]

.Pixote. said:
The walls are the key factor, they need to be made with the standard frame offset numbers and size
Think about completely custom/unique ones too ;)

.Pixote. said:
but sometimes you still end up with shitty edges.
I think it's not possible to avoid this. Unless you'll start removing edges to fit perfectly into the tile template.

Anyway, this isn't a problem in PS to take the screenshot and adjust template to it. But that tool Pixi wants must somehow take into consideration non-adjustable position/relation to walls/whatever of tiles too, otherwise will be completely useless for wider use.

Most people couldn't be bothered to build artwork for Fallout, so this tool would only really assist those mod makers...at least with this tool you can speed up the production, instead of saving each tile one at a time. :cry:

hmm,maybe i can improve the app you wrote,or would it have to be a new stand alone?because if the app is written in(i have ps2pro)code,i can see what needs to be done to make it do any requests,preferably a list of things,easier then me guessing,main reason is id have to learn picture formats,as i have 0 knowledge of picture files

edit : not entirely true,i wrote(copy and learned) how load and view a bmp in c++,hmm,your choice,could do what i always do,google the fuck out of the subject until i learn as much as i need to know lol,anyway either way make a list of requiered options,then make a list of prefered,then make a list of wanted but not necessary,i will write the app

Nirran

.Pixote. said:
One small problem is that each upper level window should have a room behind the window - floor, etc...doesn't matter. :roll:

With your tiles we could build a windowless floor or a floor filled with many windows so it doesn't really matter I think.

.Pixote. said:

The original art had the same issue so I don't see a big problem with that unless you're a perfectionist ;)

.Pixote. said:
instead of saving each tile one at a time.

Tilecutter 2.0 does it for you :)

Fallout1FTW said:
.Pixote. said:
instead of saving each tile one at a time.
Tilecutter 2.0 does it for you :)

Yeah - Tilecutter 2.0 only cuts 100 tiles, which is good, but I'm adjusting the Photoshop Action so it will cut 400, and it will cut from the bottom to the top - which makes placing the finished tiles much easier. The original action was very elegant in its design, so I use it...even though the action I made worked, it was too clumsy and began screwing me around at the 350 tile mark. :mrgreen:

Ideas for the Tilecutter program! I'll get back to you Nirran.

I have tried your mods for RP on RP2.12b. However, there's some problem when playing.
1. Custom Skill Books and Josan12's PA Helmet Mod for FRP will cause crash at beginning when I try to "look" or run away
2. Endocore's Miria for Real (I doubt all mod with processdat2) will cause error when saving game (error saving game! unable to save game).
is anyone esle met these and how to solve them?
BTW the mods for FO2 works fine, and thanks for your great work

Back