New animations 2

.Pixote. said:
hmwarrbm2.gif

Plasma traps within the temple of trials, augh!!

valcik said:
Aqui said:
Heh, or deadly acid drink - fake antidote potion. :twisted:

Maybe an evil curse from the Elder...anyway I've checked the files for the female, and she can also have the knife and hammer animations included...sadly the female Tribal doesn't have the SMG.

Hopefully in the future there will be 4 different male Tribal types (Normal - Sulik - Long Hair - and Baldie), and 3 different types of females in the game...variety is the spice of life. :mrgreen:

.Pixote. said:
Maybe an evil curse from the Elder...anyway I've checked the files for the female, and she can also have the knife and hammer animations included...sadly the female Tribal doesn't have the SMG.

Hopefully in the future there will be 4 different male Tribal types (Normal - Sulik - Long Hair - and Baldie), and 3 different types of females in the game...variety is the spice of life. :mrgreen:

And a redhead tribesmaid, once Ghouly and I get finished with the "modern" outfits =)

I might have already said this, but you guys, ooooooh you guys, If your ever in the central New Jersey area, hit me up i'm buyin you a drink! (or at least a redbull)

All this work is so good. You are fallout heroes!

Is there like, an FTP or similar area where all the different work is stored? This stuff is gold it would be a shame to see any of it get lost, even if its something unfinished.

I just want to ask, how you guys make all this good stuff, I'd like to create new critters too. I know the basics, I know how to make it, but I unpacked single critter (every frame), it was NCR cop, and only this single critter took 3000 frames since every animations has 6 directions. I know how to handle photoshop a little, I also have a lot of patience, but editing 3000 frames one by one, it's too much for me :D So I wasn't able to make more than hue change through Irfanview and still the result wasn't very good (it slightly changed even the color of the shadow)
What's your trick? ;)
I also wanted to ask, isn't it simplier to make 3D animations and let it automaticly render the animations?
I'm new to all this so excuse these dumb questions :|

HudaJan said:
I also wanted to ask, isn't it simpler to make 3D animations and let it automatically render the animations?

Yes...hopefully all of this stuff below will be of some help.

.Pixote. said:
How about now – this is just a test AVI, I still need to learn the ropes with YouTube. It’s just a demonstration at how I will build Mr. Blackie with just two PS actions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP89zANXKhE[/youtube]

This will help explain how I build my critters – I will make a proper narrated version that will include the FrameAnimator and loading and using actions in Photoshop, but for now…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYDlUDKOxVo[/youtube]

A higher quality version.

Mr. Baldie Head Build – Test

Ghouly89 said:
I posted this towards you, Pixote, but it seems it got pushed off to the previous page. Do you think you could drop me some pointers / a screenshot of your actions? :mrgreen:

Sorry Ghouly…I didn’t notice that message. I will pass you my PS actions – that should speed up critter building somewhat. :mrgreen:

I will use Mr. Baldie as an example. For those new at critter building we basically want to combine two different critters into one new critter (typically that means removing and pasting a head from one to the other). This is my method, and it isn’t necessarily the best method, but it works well enough, feel free to improve upon it.

Mr. Baldie Photoshop Action (Cropping)

1.Grab all of the files related to the two critters you want to combine – (you will need to use a program to open the critter.DAT file in Fallout 2 – check the NMA files section) – the various critters can be found in the art/critter folder. Ex. Leather Armor Male = (HMLTHR) and Blue Jump Suit = (HMJMPS).

000p.gif

2.Place them into two separate folders. Allocate a folder for each individual FRM (Fallout frame) and name them correspondingly. Ex: HMJMPSAA.frm into HMJMPSAA folder. Create a folder and name it “Images”, copy that folder into every HMJMPS folder… (This folder will hold all of the individual images).

002wx.gif

3.Run the FrameAnimator and ‘Open Project’ (Ctrl+o) – now select the first individual critter FRM - ex: HMJMPSAA.frm (the idle critter in the Blue Jumpsuit). Press ‘Save Project’ (Ctrl+s) and save the Project file (*FPR) and BMP files into the “Images” folder. Each individual frame will now be saved into the images folder. Each image will have its correct frame offset numbers and alpha color (blue), so when you load them back into the FrameAnimator the critter should be in its correct position - (The FrameAnimator can be a bit buggy, I prefer not to close the program while I finish the editing the frames in PS, and after the images have been adjusted I just reload the project file and make the finished FRM).

001gw.gif

4.Complete the same process for each FRM that will require editing – do the same for the other critters FRM’s (i.e. Leather Armor – HMLTHRAA)

003cl.gif

5.Open the folders of both critters with the same animations (HMJMPSAA + HMLTH2AA) and place them side by side. It’s important to check to see if both critters have the same number of animations in their individual sequences. If one has more, then you might need to remove or add an extra frame to balance the equation…as well check to see that the sequences are the same, sometimes they are not – the critical factor is to ensure that the critters animations are the same, otherwise the editing process will become more difficult.

004rb.gif

6.Open Photoshop, and load the new ‘Mr. Baldie’ action. Do this by opening the Actions panel, and selecting the button on the right hand side – (Load Actions…), now the ‘Mr. Baldie’ action will be in your Actions panel. It has 3 stages – 1: Import Image (that copies one critter over onto the other critters image file), 2: Masking (after you made a selection (critter head) you press this action and it will mask the area you have selected, 3: Save FRM (this will flatten the image and save with the Fallout color palette, and close the file – understand there is no going back after you press this).

005hx.gif

7.Now double click on the Jumpsuit critter first, and then quickly double click on the corresponding Leather critter. Both will open in Photoshop (if not check their properties to see if PS will open BMP’s). Make sure that the Leather critter is the last image opened. Select the “Import Image” action and press the play action button…the Leather critter will be copied over to the Jumpsuit critter…if you are lucky the critters will align perfectly, otherwise de-select and move the top layer into its proper position (it’s best to judge this by aligning the feet and shoulders). Now select the area on the top critter that you want to mask (keep), the lasso tool is the best option here (L) – ex: The Bald head from the Leather critter onto the Blue Jumpsuit critter. Make any small adjustments – blend the pixels if necessary, and finally select the ‘Save FRM’ action and press the play action button.

006or.gif

007x.gif

008k.gif

8.Go through each and every frame in the animation one at a time – and reload the finished images into the FrameAnimator. Run through each frame and each direction to check the animation, and if all is well save the FRM with a new name. If any frame is slightly out of position then make the necessary adjustment to reposition. It’s a good idea to check both the original and the new critter FRM’s to see how well they compare.

009q.gif

Bye... :wink:

Hopper said:
/[Summon X'il]

**puff**

Hopper said:
And by the way, I was wondering about a new animation, a full set of the Leather armor... BLACK!

It is (was?) in my plans to make something like this for an NPC (but not for the player characters though), but, i'm currently on extended critter editing vacation.

.Pixote. said:
(...)could you please place this critter on the opening page of this thread - thanks.

Certainly. And good work as usual. :)

Aqui said:

Hah, a nice idea, not for the temple of course, but for some new map in the total conversion mods in the making out there; deadly one-hit-kills plasma traps.

.Pixote. said:
Yes...hopefully all of this stuff below will be of some help.

Lol, wasn't it easier to just post a link .Pixote.? you just had to quote one of your scary gigantosaurus tutorial posts, heh? :lol: (joking)

.Pixote. said:

lol.

The female Tribal critter is on her way...so far I have finished the knife animations (it's not pleasant work :( )...but still some fool has to do it. Next the hammer, then the extra death sequences.

96Fl6.gif
sRz7k.gif
ViR7e.gif
d7ElJ.gif
HXiqE.gif
Jdi8U.gif
37Xwv.gif

x'il said:
Lol, wasn't it easier to just post a link .Pixote.? you just had to quote one of your scary gigantosaurus tutorial posts, heh? :lol: (joking)

errr, yes. :salute: By the way, is just me, or does the "Fallout General Modding" thread feel dead...Bloody Fallout: New Vegas. :eyebrow:

Chris Parks said:
By the way, is just me, or does the "Fallout General Modding" thread feel dead...Bloody Fallout: New Vegas

Amen to that. Looks like Fallout 2 modding is finally coming to an end.

Nahh. The interest just comes and goes, as always. Never too far away from here.

Chris Parks said:
Amen to that. Looks like Fallout 2 modding is finally coming to an end.

Why? Looks to me as aktive as it always has been. Only difference now is that the few months before release of FNV, everyone was so hyped up, that they started looking into the Fallout modding board.

Ok, having tried a lot of various way how to edit or even create critters, I can proudly (:D) say, that I found 3D modeling and rendering simplest or at least most amusing.
krytenidle.gif
krytenpick.gif
kryten2.gif
krytenuse.gif
krytendodge.gif

Results cannot be even compared to results of .Pixote. or x'il using 2D ways, but once you establish a scene (I'm using 6 fixed cameras, some lights), bones to your character and of course texturing it's just few clicks to have a result.. Well, not having Winsome File Renamer (very, very useful tool) I'd be hanging on a tree peeling banana by now :D

I think the biggest advantage is that you can make any animation you want and you are not limited by what was already done. Also you don't have to manipulate with every single frame. I would probably lost my mind in less than a week if I had to do it :)

Just wanted to share my opinion, don't take it as bragging! Still admiring your work with critters :clap: :clap:

HudaJan said:
krytenidle.gif
krytenpick.gif
kryten2.gif
krytenuse.gif
krytendodge.gif

I think the biggest advantage is that you can make any animation you want and you are not limited by what was already done. Also you don't have to manipulate with every single frame.

Too true HudaJan...by the way your stuff looks great...for us, we are trying to build from the existing artwork, its painful and slow, but you're on the right track creating your own. Building the critters in 3D and rendering them is the way forward, so I salute you. :salute:

Can you show us a screen grab of the model and the scene, including the lights. I think 3 lights should be enough - also you might want to lower the strength of all of the secondary lights. That would darken the key lights shadows somewhat...don't forget that the original critters are rendered with any anti-aliasing, and use the Fallout colour palette.

Back