New here, and may I just ask a stupid question for once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People assume they're trying to copy Borderlands and Destiny, whereas I assume that it's only a consequence of not having a clear plan of how to become that aforementioned cross of three great games.
That is not an assumption. Bethesda put out marketing articles claiming they took direct inspiration from Destiny.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-gunplay-modeled-after-destinys/1100-6431981/

If copying Destiny was the only thing they aim for, why would they bother keeping the other features at all? Why is it assumed they are deliberately trying to ruin the series, rather than taking inspiration from the wrong games?

I don't think they would deliberately try to ruin a series that is making them money. More like they are whoring it out to different audiences to maximize profits.

Bethesda has no concept of ruinning the series, from the get go they have never cared about the integrity of it, to them it's just a name they can use for marketing, they never had an intention to make it true to the originals which is reflected on their treatment of lore and New Vegas. You can't try to ruin something you never really considered something to respect in the first place.

People assume they're trying to copy Borderlands and Destiny, whereas I assume that it's only a consequence of not having a clear plan of how to become that aforementioned cross of three great games.
That is not an assumption. Bethesda put out marketing articles claiming they took direct inspiration from Destiny.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-gunplay-modeled-after-destinys/1100-6431981/

If copying Destiny was the only thing they aim for, why would they bother keeping the other features at all? Why is it assumed they are deliberately trying to ruin the series, rather than taking inspiration from the wrong games?

Not to mention - in the article, they talk about taking the GUNPLAY from Destiny. Which you have to admit, made Fallout 4 much better than it could've been.
Of course the gunplay was better. It is excellent in fact considering the previous games.

But um, yea this game is not even in the same league as Deus Ex or even Stalker. There are some areas that really do feel like Stalker like the Glowing Sea, but even Stalker has more dialogue options than Fallout 4. As for Deus Ex, I fail to see any resemblance whatsoever.

This game plays more like Borderlands than any of those games.

Everyone knows that. These are my only two points:

1) Games like Fallout 4 should exist, but not as Fallout games. If Bethesda released an FPS shooter with base building mechanics, weapon customisation, and every other feature in Fallout 4 so far, but it was in no way connected to the series itself (not even a Fallout game), I would play it. It wouldn't be the greatest of games, but it would be an enjoyable hours-sink.

2) Bethesda is not trying to suck on purpose. They don't have a personal idea of what Fallout should turn out to be like, and they're getting ideas from too many people. Imagine if the director of a new movie in Franchise X had no idea what to make the movie like, but different fans of Franchise X with varying degrees of what it should look like all throw it into this director's face. Which one do they take? How do they even know which one is the correct one?

"Well, I suppose we can put ALL of them in. How could that go wrong?"

Catering to everyone tends to end bad. But then again, I guess my theory above would be contradicted by "have the director watch the older movies in Franchise X and put it the new movie what he likes about the older ones".
In which case, what if Bethesda's design director played the old Fallouts and didn't like a lot of things in it? And sure, that means it's not his cup of tea and he should leave the job to someone else, but the executive bigwigs have shoved him the game, so the only paths to go is with the gut or with what the sales figure says? Go with sales figures? You get the Destiny ripoff, simply because Destiny was popular. Go with the gut? How do we know the gut feeling matches what other people think is good?

I don't think they would deliberately try to ruin a series that is making them money. More like they are whoring it out to different audiences to maximize profits.

More like, their bosses are whoring it out to different audiences to maximise profits, and their job is to make sure people hate this as less as possible.

Bethesda has no concept of ruinning the series, from the get go they have never cared about the integrity of it, to them it's just a name they can use for marketing, they never had an intention to make it true to the originals which is reflected on their treatment of lore and New Vegas. You can't try to ruin something you never really considered something to respect in the first place.

Take a guy who's never written a book before, but draws comic art. He's given a book series to continue. He has no idea what to do, so goes with the flow, and people like it. And if people like it, that's a good thing right?

Not always, but you can see that there's a logic behind this. Besides, how do you know there isn't a want for true Fallout influence in the game, but the people in charge aren't letting them?

Last edited:
No, it's not a good thing. If you are just doing your own thing you shouldn't call it a continuation of the previous work, specially if you are not even putting the effort towards making it justice.
I don't like On going marvel or DC comics for this very reason, they more often than not are made purely to cash in on a name rather than actually keeping a consistent narrative or quality.

The people who like it now would've like it if he had given it another name anyway, the ones that are affected by this are the fans of the original work. Specially if the result is just a mish mash of corporate moves and trend chasing.

Most of the Nu-Fallout fans have very little respect, knowledge or interest on the older games, and Bethesda has put very little effort into fixing that.

No, it's not a good thing. If you are just doing your own thing you shouldn't call it a continuation of the previous work, specially if you are not even putting the effort towards making it justice.
I don't like On going marvel or DC comics for this very reason, they more often than not are made purely to cash in on a name rather than actually keeping a consistent narrative or quality.

The people who like it now would've like it if he had given it another name anyway, the ones that are affected by this are the fans of the original work. Specially if the result is just a mish mash of corporate moves and trend chasing.

Most of the Nu-Fallout fans have very little respect, knowledge or interest on the older games, and Bethesda has put very little effort into fixing that.

So what I'm getting from this is, NMA exists because people love Fallout, and it persists today because Bethesda hijacked the Fallout series?

That makes more sense than any other explanation I've ever heard. I'm assuming if Bethesda gave Obsidan the Fallout series and just made an open-world shooter exactly like Fallout as it is today but with their own set of lore, no one here would mind anymore?

Also, about the comics thing. Not everyone likes consistency. I mean I very much do, but not every piece of continuous fiction has to have consistency.

No response from the OP yet. Interesting.
I'm pretty sure OP's post violates the forum rules as stated in the Sticky at the top of the forum (not trying to backseat admin, just pointing it out) - and I'm assuming he thought he would be immediately banned and didn't return.

I mean he called NMA an "ancient hellhole" and "most ignorant community on the internet." It's so obvious that it didn't even spark any outrage or controversy at all.

Last edited:
I'm in the minority that actually likes the game. But it's still a major disappointment to me. I guess I expected more from it, the deal breaker was the lack of endings. At least give us some minor difference instead of recreating the same ending three times (and changing it only for the institute ><).
But it's a major improvement over 3, Vault 111 looks how I imagine how they would have looked like in the old Black Isle games, I'm one of the few who thought the story was interesting (not great, and I saw the twists from a mile away) but it was at least handled better than 3.
I think the problem is, while I think it's a good game, it's not really a good Fallout game. I'm one of the newcomers who came in when 3 was released so I don't have the memories of playing the old game back in the day (still, got them all now, including POS which is better left forgotten) and I can go back and look at some fantastic RPGs which deserve better recognition. I'm going to be controversial here and say I don't mind Fallout now being an open world FPS, I have wasteland 2 if I want to go and see the closest we will get to a full fledged Fallout 2 sequel (and if recent news is true, I can see Wasteland 3, if it's ever going to be made, take on a lot of concepts from Van Buren, but that's just my thought).
But as I've stated before, I like Fallout 4, it's somewhere between 3 and New Vegas for me. It has the things I liked about 3 (the atmosphere) and the things I liked about New Vegas (the split story path) but is an overall weaker game than NV (which is still my favourite in the series).
I can see why this forum dislikes it so much, it changes so much from where the series started with.

I don't want to come across like a jerk. I hate F4, but I don't hate the fans. I'm sure if Beth could have appealed to RPG fans too they would have, why wouldn't they want more people happy? maybe they actually thought we would like it, who's to say? Hearing that you like it but it still disappoints just justifies that Beth did drop the ball. The impact was devastating to some, less devastating to others. I don't think I have seen a game of theirs get such bad reviews, they must be aware, I hope.

Yeah, I really hope Beth smarten up on this and give us something amazing next time. I'm really glad it didn't win of the year (while I don't care much for the awards anyway and only watch to see if there are any cringe worthy bits to laugh at) I was glad Witcher 3 won it from them.
I'm glad I bought F4 however and I remain satisfied with it, but I really wanted to see more from it.
If it was released a year earlier, I think it would have received a much better overall reception, mostly because 2014 was a year that needed a game like Fallout 4 desperately with its HD remasters and lackluster titles. 2015 already had MGSV and witcher that it didn't really need F4 all that much.

I'm pretty sure OP's post violates the forum rules as stated in the Sticky at the top of the forum (not trying to backseat admin, just pointing it out) - and I'm assuming he thought he would be immediately banned and didn't return.

I mean he called NMA an "ancient hellhole" and "most ignorant community on the internet." It's so obvious that it didn't even spark any outrage or controversy at all.

Probably, it's just a troll topic.

Probably, it's just a troll topic.
Well not so much as confirming that they stayed true to the thread title by accomplishing the task of asking a stupid question.

By that I mean they hit and run.

Well they made themselves look stupid infront of everyone so it's quite understandable to run off and pick up the leftover pieces of dignity as they left. :shrug:

You mean pass them by, as they had no dignity.
I guess you're right, I was meaning little crumbs of dignity but your idea works.

Either way, a pathetic preformance.

Also, about the comics thing. Not everyone likes consistency. I mean I very much do, but not every piece of continuous fiction has to have consistency.

Plenty of crappy shlock for people with no standards, I don't see why everything has to be turned into shit just to appeal to them.
This. Stop trying to justify turning Fallout 4 into Saints Row.

Saints Row got away with being a "LOLZ RANDOMS!" inconsistent universe but no one is going to agree that belongs in Fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back