New Radiation Warning Logo

DarkLegacy said:
I didn't intend to start a flamewar in this thread - I don't even know how that happened.

Personally, I'm surprised by two things:

1. That a reform of a sign could spark a flamewar in the first place.

2. That people that use argumentums ad verecundia do not even bother to apply said argument to themselves, hence their argument being both false and hypicritic.

Are we done now? Because I'm done.

Unless DarkLegacy is some kind of authority in the field, I can't see where I havențt applied a argumentum ad verecundiam to myself, so your argument is both false and proves your illiteracy.

Geee... Did I said sth about statistics? Not everyone can speak/read english and skul sign do not fear them. Besides, UN nead to do sth from time to time except theirs reports, analizys etc because their NOT a gov. organisation but they nead money... Gov and other instytutions are giving them money for new projects like for example this... That how UN colects money for their budget...
(In my division TID we are doing the same...). Yeap, but you know more about that stuff hehe...

Calleb said:
Geee... Did I said sth about statistics? Not everyone can speak/read english and skul sign do not fear them. Besides, UN nead to do sth from time to time except theirs reports, analizys etc because their NOT a gov. organisation but they nead money... Gov and other instytutions are giving them money for new projects like for example this... That how UN colects money for their budget...
(In my division TID we are doing the same...). Yeap, but you know more about that stuff hehe...

Once again, I don't work in the UN, with the IAEA or any other official housing. I was just making the signs for fun.

Stop taking it as if I'm the main project leader for this new radioactive sign thing. :|

Lumpy said:
Unless DarkLegacy is some kind of authority in the field, I can't see where I've used any argumentum ad verecundiam, so your argument is both false and proves your illiteracy.

You're stretching, and I have no idea why you're prolonging this;

Argumentum ad verecundiam bolded:

The second one assumes that the authors don't have a clue about creating warning signs, which is clearly dumb considering they were hired by the UN or whoever.

Logic; they were hired by the UN and for that reason alone there is value in what they do. That's an argumentum ad verecundiam. Please wiki the term to be misinformed:

An appeal to authority or argument by authority is a type of argument in logic, consisting on basing the truth value of an otherwise unsupported assertion on the authority, knowledge or position of the person asserting it. It is also known as argument from authority, argumentum ad verecundiam (Latin: argument to respect) or ipse dixit (Latin: he himself said it). It is one method of obtaining propositional knowledge, but a fallacy in regard to logic, because the validity of a claim does not follow from the credibility of the source.

And lighten up. Shit.

I've got that form the oficial web site:
"(...)
It will serve as a supplementary warning to the trefoil, which has no intuitive meaning and little recognition beyond those educated in its significance.
(...)
The new symbol is aimed at alerting anyone, anywhere to the potential dangers of being close to a large source of ionizing radiation, the result of a five-year project conducted in 11 countries around the world. The symbol was tested with different population groups - mixed ages, varying educational backgrounds, male and female - to ensure that its message of "danger - stay away" was crystal clear and understood by all.
(...)
The new symbol, developed by human factor experts, graphic artists, and radiation protection experts, was tested by the Gallup Institute on a total of 1 650 individuals in Brazil, Mexico, Morocco, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, China, India, Thailand, Poland, Ukraine and the United States."

They were working on THAT 5 years... I will transfer to work there ]:-> I wonder how much it cost...

Why do they think uneducated people or people with no local knowledge, would be gaining easy access to areas with exposed radioactive material?

Do they plan on dumping it like ordinary rubbish now? Or are they expecting vast tracks of land (in any corner of the globe) to suddenly become irradiated?

1 650 individuals in Brazil, Mexico, Morocco, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, China, India, Thailand, Poland, Ukraine and the United States."

Granted. if these people can read the sign, we're all in the clear.I agree with the logic in choosing those countries, except Poland.

(not from any of the above)

Davaris said:
Why do they think uneducated people or people with no local knowledge, would be gaining easy access to areas with exposed radioactive material?

Tribals.

Do they plan on dumping it like ordinary rubbish now? Or are they expecting vast tracks of land (in any corner of the globe) to suddenly become irradiated?

WW3 is coming I'd say...

Kharn said:
1. That a reform of a sign could spark a flamewar in the first place.

I heard Bethesda is gonna use that sign in Fallout 3 since the sign is new and modern.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller said:
I heard Bethesda is gonna use that sign in Fallout 3 since the sign is new and modern.
I know your kidding but they'd better hell NOT fall into that crap! :roll: I mean... When did fallout timeline and real timeline departed ways? :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope the Bethesda people are reading this! It would put the icing on the cake if they did it.

Morbus said:
When did fallout timeline and real timeline departed ways?

Somewhere before the transistor's invention; there are only vacuum tubes in the Fallout setting's electronics.

Ouu c'mon... No one is so stupid to make 3rd part od Fallout, use game title "Falout" for the 4th time, and just change radiation logo... That would be out of sens...

I love it how the change of the radiation logo is an allegory for the fate of Fallout - from classy but enjoyed by a select few, to ugly and dumbed down for the masses. :P

Back