NMA Point Lookout Review

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
NMA's Michael Grizzly takes a romp through Bethesda's 4th DLC, and...<blockquote>Combat aside, one of the highpoints of Point Lookout are the NPCs, the ones that don't shoot you, at the least. Compared to the cardboard cut-outs most of vanilla Fallout 3 characters are, the inhabitants of Point Lookout are interesting, have some good writing and wouldn't feel out of place in one of the classic games (their lack of swamps aside).

Furthermore, as this add-on has an obvious focus on exploration I have to say that it doesn't disappoint - the State Park is littered with unique locations, most of which have a backstory presented in game and finding them feels really rewarding as does discovering their history, especially of the sinister Turtledove Detention Camp.

But the enjoyable exploration is marred by an ailment the original Fallout 3 suffers from - the game is confused as to when it takes place. It's two centuries since the war and yet you seem to find working power and lighting wherever you go, undisturbed corpses and buildings filled with loot that no one seemed to think of taking, even though they're right next to it, terminals that have been running for 200 years without failing... when playing, it feels more as if it was a little over a decade since the war. While in the Capital Wasteland it can be excused to a certain point, as it was ravaged by war, it's not excusable for there to be unlooted easily accessible locations in an area which didn't suffer direct nuclear destruction.</blockquote>Link: Fallout 3 Point Lookout review.

The only Fallout reviews I really read and believe are the NMA ones, and this one is probably the first one that made me want to play a DLC. I don't have a clue how, but somehow Bestheda managed to get things a little bit better. Its a good thing that they developed more voice acting and writing, this is almost giving me hope.

Found it a tad strange I actually enjoyed this one for what it was, rather than from trying to break it.
Some of the accents are pretty iffy but they at least sound different.

Gonna make me a mod that gets rid of all the jet there though. Can't quite see how it ended up in the safe of a recruitment officer as well as 50 bottlecaps.

Makes me think of The Pitt, where I felt like I was wading through thigh high piles of jet cannisters.

I have not downloaded this yet since I was between paychecks but direct deposit just went through and honestly this is the surprise expansion that has interested me the most.

Wow, Mikael, that is rather quick.

radiatedheinz, were my two reviews of The Pitt and Broken Steel of any use to you?

yes yes, it were very useful, and maybe that's why I didn't want really to play Broken Steel or The Pitt. I could hardly agree with some of the things in broken steel like the new level cap or the part that the lone wanderer is just shoot out of a full of radiation chamber entirely alive, and, for The Pitt, the Quake-Doom background was too much for me. And really, how you said in the review, there are very little new content to me to spend 10 dolars in the game or even my time on it. Most of these things you covered in your reviews, so I can say that it was very useful to me in the sense of "Will I play The Pitt and Broken Steel?".But I can't say that the good things you pointed out didn't made me want to play it, so maybe now with Point Lookout, which did improved some things that were important to me like voice acting and writing, I may buy all of them together.

Hi radiatedheinz,

I have no doubt that at some point in the future the first five Fallout 3 DLCs will be packed together and be offered for a price lower than what they are now together as part of some action.

If you really want to try them, then would be the best moment to pick them up, but don't spend more on them than a fully new game as they really aren't worth that.

Most realistic price for them all together would be between the 10 and 20 dollar.

I have no doubt that at some point in the future the first five Fallout 3 DLCs will be packed together and be offered for a price lower than what they are now together as part of some action.

They will all be packed together only as part of the GOTY edition.

Ausir said:

Which you will probably be able to buy cheap.

But individual DLCs tend to stick to the same price. It's kinda policy. Fuck, Bethesda is even still selling horse armor at the full initial price despite acknowledging several times that this was an experiment and it is mispriced.

well why should Bethesda ever change the price of their DLCs anyway if they according to Todd "still sell today nicely" (in comment about the horse armor).

The DLC is a win win situation only for Bethesda they can charge much for a relatively "small" addon and dont subject to conditions of "hard" games in form of discs that always fall in the price after some time (add ons as well).

Brother None said:
Ausir said:

Which you will probably be able to buy cheap.

But individual DLCs tend to stick to the same price. It's kinda policy. Fuck, Bethesda is even still selling horse armor at the full initial price despite acknowledging several times that this was an experiment and it is mispriced.

I thought the horse armor was only available as a sort of in-joke nowadays. In some DLC offer didn't they half the price of all the other oblivion dlc, but double the price of horse armor?

The review for the Lookout mentions that the animations are bad; is this really a surprise now?

I mean, the animations for Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are indeed horribe to worser - and even Redguard whose demo I once played did have terrible and horrible animations.

And I thought the five DLCs were to be sold in a bundle together sometime in October or November 2009?

The Safari quest was fun, and the chinese spy one was interesting too. Seems to be a lot more content now in this DLC compared to the past three.

I still feel that the DLC is based to much on combat. The endless killing of mindless swampfolks, ghouls, sawmplurks, and swampwathever. I would really love to see more story to a lot of these mindless enemies.

Also in comment to the price, I don't feel like 10$ is to expensive if you compare it to online games that come out with content once a month and you pay 10$ per month to play, and still the content added is less then the DLC to fallout.

aries369 said:
I mean, the animations for Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are indeed horribe to worser - and even Redguard whose demo I once played did have terrible and horrible animations.

I find it weird that Fallout 3's and Oblivion's animations are bad in a completely opposite way to Morrowinds.
Morrowind's animations are bad because they are so over the top, you can't get more strutty and the extreme sprinty than Morrowind whereas the other two games animations fail because they are so basic and dumbed down i.e the Fallout 3 shuffle.

...addon of these size...

Fix.

Also, sorry, the screens look goddamn horrible. Were you running the game at a high resolution and all the super-duper next-gen lighting effects?

Wooz said:
...addon of these size...

Fix.

Also, sorry, the screens look goddamn horrible. Were you running the game at a high resolution and all the super-duper next-gen lighting effects?

Thx god there is a very potent (already since Morrowind) modding community that is throwing out high resolution textures, high quality models, faces and adding small visual effects Bethesda somewhat never seems able to deliver which help the game at least somewhat to be just a bit more then mediocre standart. At least when it comes to graphic. Not to mention the many bug fixes the modders as well release over time ...

Back