No Man's Sky is a huge (marketing) success

Hype, hype never changes.

I can understand some people being hyped for the game as it is a part of fun akin to that of survivor 2299.

However I really can not understand how those people could fall for it. I mean this game looked okayish at best but after shit that is Farcryout 4 I hoped some people would grow a brain, which is not the case.

Star Citizen gets a lot of hate for being 4 years in development but even now it looks better than no man's sky ever did.

I suppose waiting for reviews is not something everyone can do.

After Farcryout 4 I will never preorder or buy season pass, It is simply not worth it. On the plus side I made this mistake once, they more than once.

The amount of fanboys still defending this game is a disgrace. Gamers are such ignorant consumers it's depressing. They're actually asking to be ripped off at this point.

They're even begging for more Fallout 4 Workishop DLC.

I hate when it boils down to "you can do whatever you want, you can do the 7-8 things the game allows you to do, or you can choose to stand still on a single spot and never move a muscle - it's up to you! Total freedom!"

I've actually had arguments that went like that, people who defended that FO4 was geared towards pacifist playthroughs - seriously - they said "You can choose not to engage enemies"
as in? "Yes, just don't move anywhere near enemies. Don't do any of the quests!"
WHOA =O

At least it will be the source for an endless stream of memes.

No mans bugs
No mans lies
No man buys

The posibilities are endless.

The thing that I like the most about No Mans Sky though, is that it is exposing the bullshit that is E3 marketing/hype.

Last edited:
I'm also unclear about procedurally generated worlds in multiplayer. That sounds like insane exponential growth to me, since my game procedurally generates planets that YOU can visit now that you play simultaneous with me - you and the thousands of other players, which explains why the game-galaxy has way more stars than a real galaxy would ever have.

That's kind of absurd to think about...

Anyway, TO BE FAIR, it's an interesting experiment, a galaxy game where you fly from planet to planet and stuff like that.
Another interesting experiment is Orbiter (Thanx Hass for suggesting it, plenty ago! I made an alter in your honor!)

in Orbiter you can TRAVEL TO ANY PLANET IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM - IN REAL TIME, one night I spent HOURS approaching Jupiter. After I had started a scenario which places me NEAR(ish) Jupiter.
I spent the rest of the night approaching. I never got there, Jupiter is too mindblowingly huge, and just because it seemed near didn't mean it was near, and I probably had like 17 real-life months left before I could reach it

the pivotal difference is, Orbiter is free. Costs nothing. It's a nifty little experiment. No hype either. Not to say No Man's Sky should be free, it has creatures and pew-pews and such, but they shoulda sold it for what it was. That would have made a huge difference.

So uh...

I was wondering, shouldn't this be kind of, oh I dunno, illegal?

I mean, false advertisement? Broken product?

Is there any action anyone could take against this studio for the product that they have made?
It's gaming. That is why many of those crooks still survive. Because gamers don't really sue. I mean most don't even return their games ... not that you really could in many cases ... I mean only NOW do you have actually a way to return a game on steam, but only in the first 2 hours or something? Oh boy ... I mean imagine if 70% of the people returned No Mans Sky and asked for their money. And now imagine if more people would do that with bugged games, with EA or Ubisoft on a regular basis.

Seriously, gamers are the weirdest bunch. They constantly get fucked and raped by publishers and devlopers, and they even like it. No! Sometimes they even ask for more. And all because there is some shiny little texture, skin or image infront of them that they can buy for 50 cent or somthing ... while they don't realize how some obtusive and anoying software and DRM is shoved down their throat.

It looks like Sean Murray's reputation will be tarnished permanently. Being called worse than Molyneux by a good many. He brought it upon himself and could have easily avoided most of it if he didn't dupe people and misrepresent the game.

It looks like Sean Murray's reputation will be tarnished permanently. Being called worse than Molyneux by a good many. He brought it upon himself and could have easily avoided most of it if he didn't dupe people and misrepresent the game.
I'm sure the millions of dollars from gullible fanboys will be plenty of consolation for the developers.
Which doesn't mean much in gaming. Give it some time, and most people won't even remember it anymore.
Oh yea. I'm not even joking about Colonial Marines 2. They could show a 30 second trailer at E3 for Aliens: Colonial Marines 2 using high-end, film-grade animations and graphics with no actual gameplay or information and people would still be lining up to pre-order that thing for $100.

You no longer even need to have a videogame in order to make money selling videogames. Just show people an E3 trailer and use a buzzword like "infinite procedurally generated universe" or "you can play this game forever!" or whatever.

Last edited:
NMS' player count is down about 50%, according to Steam. But I guess we won't have an answer until Hello Games' next game.

An indie developer got 5th on the highest selling game on launch in steam. I´m pretty sure he could give two shits about his reputation. Guess the snake oil business never stops because of shit like this :shrug:

I'm sure the millions of dollars from gullible fanboys will be plenty of consolation for the developers.

Oh yea. I'm not even joking about Colonial Marines 2. They could show a 30 second trailer at E3 for Aliens: Colonial Marines 2 using high-end, film-grade animations and graphics with no actual gameplay or information and people would still be lining up to pre-order that thing for $100.

You no longer even need to have a videogame in order to make money selling videogames. Just show people an E3 trailer and use a buzzword like "infinite procedurally generated universe" or "you can play this game forever!" or whatever.
"It just works!"

LOL apparently now devs are saying they were "naive" when they said updates would all be free. So here comes the paid DLC for this $60 game.

You know, with games it is fun, I mean hey! It is their money, so when they want to throw it down the drain, their choice, I mean we all laugh and joke about it. But remember the same people that supported games based on E3 trailers, like No Mans Sky, are also allowed to vote, or at least when they turn 18 ... and suddenly you stop laughing ...

Back