No Man's Sky is a huge (marketing) success

- Bethesda rule of the day:
If you can't fix it, make it a feature!

There is a lot that the No Mans Sky devs can learn from them!

All right, I gotta get this off my chest, his smile is really uncomfortable.

[edit]

I just watched a video where someone went into the center of the galaxy, guess what happens?

You transport into another galaxy to do the whole thing all over again.

[edit 2]

So I've kept tabs on the % approval on Steam for the game and at first it was disasterous but then it started climbing up to 58%, however, since then the game has dropped like a % each day and is currently residing at 53% positive.

Last edited:
All right, I gotta get this off my chest, his smile is really uncomfortable.

[edit]

I just watched a video where someone went into the center of the galaxy, guess what happens?

You transport into another galaxy to do the whole thing all over again.

[edit 2]

So I've kept tabs on the % approval on Steam for the game and at first it was disasterous but then it started climbing up to 58%, however, since then the game has dropped like a % each day and is currently residing at 53% positive.

NMS looks like a game designed by Bethesda. I've seen it compared to Elite Dangerous but I don't know why. Elite Dangerous destroys NMS in every way. Then again, that's not hard to do. The only thing NMS seems to do that ED doesn't is procedurally generated goofy looking monsters and ugly color filters that fail to hide the terrible graphics.

What really boggles my mind is people were so confident that a very small group of indie developers with zero experience making a space simulator were going to somehow outdo Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. It's really laughable how quickly they parted with $60 for a project that would so obviously fail to deliver.

I feel bad for Space Sim fans because there's still no masterpiece of the genre. Elite Dangerous is actually pretty relaxing if you treat it as Euro Truck Simulator in space, and Star Citizen might deliver, but fans of the genre are always left wanting something more and instead what they get is games like X:Rebirth and NMS.

Last edited:
Eh... NMS losses my interest more as the days pass.
At least we can say that No Man's Sky has answered a debate that has been plaguing society for years and as it turns out, size doesn't matter.

(That second sentence was a joke I made on FB btw, but I thought you guys would enjoy it).

Steam reviews is now at 51% positive, a 2% drop since I last posted.
Coincidentally Elite Dangerous has gone up since NMS release and is now Mostly Positive lol.

I think Elite Dangerous got some unfair reviews. Some people were like "After playing this game for 5,000 hours straight, I got bored therefore I don't recommend it." It's the best space sim game available currently (which isn't saying much because the competition is No Man's POS), though once Star Citizen is released that may change. If Frontier keeps developing it, ED could be incredible, but for now it's still not everyone's cup of tea. I personally enjoy it for the same reason I enjoy Euro Truck Simulator - it's very relaxing and is a nice change from the usual games.

I think the problem is space sim fans want a masterpiece for their genre - a game where you can truly live in the game world and not just fly ships but exit them and walk around space stations and explore planets and talk to people, engage in role playing, etc. I hope either Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen can deliver such an experience at some point.

Unfortunately such a game has never existed and would be incredibly difficult to make even for the most experienced developers, so why the hell did people think a small indie dev team with zero experience would be able to come anywhere close to that lol?

Last edited:

Is it a bug though?
In all the vids you can see where they descend to a planet, it really is just like a 20 metre drop or something. There seems to be some handy effect that just changes the color *of the entire universe* to a sky-color whenever you near the ground of a planet.

Again, my poor old friend, told me that the devs had assured us all that the planets would be earth-sized.
EARTH SIZED.
He showed me a video, and went "see? HA!"
see what?? I pointed out to him, rocks seemingly 10 metres across or so, visible as huge chunks, big warts on the planetary surface, even from deep into space.
"yes?"
that's like seeing your garage from the moon
"pff, nitpickery"

THEN DON'T CALL IT "EARTH SIZED"

But yeah, I don't think that's really a "bug", I think it's just the crappy "illusion of distance" showing itself for what it really is, a bunch of olive-sized stars at an altitude of 20 metres or so :0

LOL look how much more complex planetary landing in Elite Dangerous is compared to No Man's Sky:

It's like comparing a full simulator to a mobile game.

Last edited:
Heh, yeah I guess No Mans Sky would have been an awesome mobile game :D.

I like the fact, that not EVERY planet is suitable for a landing. Which is fairly realistic. Because honestly, you might land on Venus ... but only once, while never on Jupiter.

There is ... but it was usually not known in gaming up to this day ...

imageadapt960high.jpg

1247611612.jpg

Religious-Fanatics.jpg
When they claim 'God is Dead', people just find another form of gods to worship

You're also comparing a space flight simulation game that goes for realism with a sci fi exploration game that's inspired by 60's and 70's sci fi novel covers ;)
I get what you're saying. This is why I'm comparing the two: NMS costs $60. You know how you land in No Man's Sky? Press the square button on the controller. That's it. The game does not even have HOTAS support. A space game. Without HOTAS support. It has the complexity of a mobile game, and the art direction of NMS going for shite B-movie sci-fi stuff really has nothing to do with how barren and stupid the gameplay is. It has everything to do with the developers being awful compared to competent, experienced developers.

This example extends to every other aspect of the game. Elite combat has so many options for offense, defense, and everything in between, and flight mechanics are complex while still being understandable. NMS is like a kids toy in comparison. And yet both cost the same. If No Man's Sky was a $20 Early Access Alpha I wouldn't be making this comparison, but this game is billed as a full-priced $60 AAA game with future paid DLC content and we all know by now the outrageous claims made by Hello Games.

Yahtzee's review also compares Elite with NMS and makes similar points:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116922-No-Mans-Sky-Review

Last edited:
2z3JtQ3.jpg

Well that's impressive that people with more than 2 hours of playtime can get a refund.

Not only has the game suffered from an abnormally high rate of GameStop trade-ins, but it has devastated the reputation of Lead Designer Sean Murray, previously known for his outstanding work on the Burnout series.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manif...sers-with-more-than-2-hours-of-playtime-37449
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4zslu6/psa_steam_is_refunding_no_mans_sky_even_if_you/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zuydl/psa_steam_is_offering_no_mans_sky_refunds/

Wow this game appears to be a huge disaster not to mention the reputation of Sean Murray. :lol:

So it's this all over again?
PgBdpX2.jpg

I get what you're saying. This is why I'm comparing the two: NMS costs $60. You know how you land in No Man's Sky? Press the square button on the controller. That's it. The game does not even have HOTAS support. A space game. Without HOTAS support. It has the complexity of a mobile game, and the art direction of NMS going for shite B-movie sci-fi stuff really has nothing to do with how barren and stupid the gameplay is. It has everything to do with the developers being awful compared to competent, experienced developers.

This example extends to every other aspect of the game. Elite combat has so many options for offense, defense, and everything in between, and flight mechanics are complex while still being understandable. NMS is like a kids toy in comparison. And yet both cost the same. If No Man's Sky was a $20 Early Access Alpha I wouldn't be making this comparison, but this game is billed as a full-priced $60 AAA game with future paid DLC content and we all know by now the outrageous claims made by Hello Games.

Yahtzee's review also compares Elite with NMS and makes similar points:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116922-No-Mans-Sky-Review

Yeah, I see your point. I'm not at all defending the game, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people slander games for not being something they're not supposed to be (or movies, or music, or art for that matter). Not saying that you outright did it either, but it's easy to go down that route when criticizing something.

If NMS had delivered on all its promises when it comes to the exploration, it might've been worth full price for those interested (still, $60 is a lot for any game).

Back