Nuka World: No Review Possible

Discussion in 'Fallout 4' started by DirtyOldShoe, Aug 30, 2016.

1. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    None whatsoever, but as seen in the video it's a Chinese Officer Sword, which are prevalent in Fallout 3. But yes, it's a perfectly legitimate reason to criticize the reference to say that it doesn't fit thematically. But how many references in Fallout 2 fit in thematically? They don't necessarily have to. But back to the original point, that still doesn't have anything to do with you or me liking or not liking Dark Souls, does it?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. Crossfire

Crossfire Banned

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah. References are better when they're as subtle as possible. A reward for the keen of eye.
    Also, maybe I'm just a little pretentious, but I prefer my references to be to things like literature, history and mythology.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  3. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    I don't like many of the references in Fallout 2 anyway.

Actually yes it does, if I like the thing where the reference comes from and the reference is done well, I'm more likely to like it. IF I dislike the thing where reference comes from, I'm probably not going to like it.

Same here.

4. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Sadly it is all memes and pop culture these days. A few reference gags can be funny, but it is all mandatory these days. (remember this joke? it is from that popular movie/television show!)

5. Mohamed2001

Mohamed2001 HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jan 28, 2013
    Witcher 3 is a good example of handling references.

6. Gaddes

Gaddes Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 18, 2010
    I've been gone for a bit mainly cause of work, but it's good to see Nuka World was the train wreck I knew it would be. Also, why the hell are the Huboligists in this DLC? Wat dafuq?

7. DirtyOldShoe

DirtyOldShoe Some kind of lucky

Dec 15, 2015
    I saw them, I avoided them. I also refused to read any terminal or note after I read a note on Crag, the dead super mutants body saying something like "Go to Nuka-World, kill the raiders, make the best meat bag from their bodies, along with taking their stuff."
    Some questions are better left alone.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  8. SarcasticGoodGuy

SarcasticGoodGuy *R O T T E N*

Aug 31, 2016
    Bethesda : you guys like the older Fallouts? Here's a reference.

Skeptic : how did they get all the way to Massachusetts? I don't see any working cars.

Bethesda : not interested in discussing modes of transport in a game with alien spaceships and nuclear powered cars.

• [Like] [Like] x 7
  9. Arnust

Arnust Maybe you've seen it, maybe, in a dream...

Feb 2, 2016
    I found the Bonfire reference annoying becouse it was done just becouse Dark Souls is at its peak of popularity with 3.
    How odd, that there weren't almost any (there was a very hidden one in Borderlands 2) references to Souls, that complicated japanese thing nobody liked... until now. Just sayin'
    And of course, it's out of place and just there to find. If the sword had the Fire enchantment and called Firelink at least it would be more specific

10. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Cynical Cunt

Jun 15, 2015
    Holy shit! Is that for real? It seems like Bethesda is just trolling us at this point.

11. SarcasticGoodGuy

Aug 31, 2016
    The worst one is still the Silver Shroud comic store. Way more insulting than kid in a fridge, radiant quests or Cabot house.

12. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Cynical Cunt

Jun 15, 2015
    Ooo, tell me. Whats in there? I really want to know now!

13. Prone Squanderer

Prone Squanderer A bit of a Sillius Soddus.

Jan 3, 2016
    Like this?

• [Like] [Like] x 10
  14. SarcasticGoodGuy

Aug 31, 2016
    The employees were arguing over making changes to a beloved franchise to appeal to newer fans at the expense of pissing off the hardcore fanbase. In the end the manager chose to replace the actors and market it to a younger/larger audience. Sound familiar?

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  15. Crossfire

Crossfire Banned

Jun 14, 2016
    One of my favourites.

16. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Cynical Cunt

Jun 15, 2015
    Wow... You know what Bethesda why don't you tell us how really feel. I insist. Also the younger/larger audience you tried so hard to pander to give your DLC a 54% on Steam and your season pass a 28%! At this point I wouldn't be surprised that Bethesda will pull a Bioware and give gamers the finger while telling them that they just don't understand high art and artist integrity.

• [Like] [Like] x 8
  17. Prone Squanderer

Jan 3, 2016
    This one right?

18. SarcasticGoodGuy

Aug 31, 2016
  19. Prone Squanderer

Jan 3, 2016
    It might just be me, but does anyone else think the Nuka World girl has a patronising look?

"We've listened to what you want, now be good and buy this."

• [Like] [Like] x 6
  20. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Kinda strange how you get this kind of argument very often from people that create products for money with the intention to sell it to as many people as possible, and when it fails, you get like, opinions man! Opinion!. Like with Lukas and his prequels. You think they are shit? It's art! IT's ART! Or sometimes it's called 'stylistic' and 'bold' what ever that now means ...

I think that is an argument that can be made if you walk in to a museum and see something, that was never made to be sold to someone. So it is simply art, made just for the sake of it. There definetly are art forms, with Dadaism or Surealism, that can't be always understood by everyone - nor should it be!

But with products? Well, if your fan base or the people that are supposed to be the consumer don't get it, then I think the designer or what ever you want to call them, simply failed at his job. Like if I made a website for somone, and he tells me that it is really really difficult to navigate on it, then I failed at my job as webdesigner.

• [Like] [Like] x 1