PlayStation Universe interviews Pete Hines

"Appealing to all the masses man" That is the new business creed.

But I fear we are straying a little to far of from the original topic.

Beelzebud said:
Well I'm so relieved that first person shooter fans found the control scheme for a first person shooter intuitive...

Fans of the original games? You don't even have to have played or heard of the originals. If you can play Halo or CoD you can play Fallout 3 very intuitively.

Yea, it would have been fun if they went for a more pertinent question like:

How do you intend to make Fallout 3 approachable to those who have played the earlier games in the series?

I'd like to see him answer that with a straight face... :D

Karak said:
Yea, it would have been fun if they went for a more pertinent question like:

How do you intend to make Fallout 3 approachable to those who have played the earlier games in the series?

I'd like to see him answer that with a straight face... :D

Petey "Well it has Vault Boy, and it has Vaults, and the Enclave and the Super Mutants are back in it."

The guy says the game is easy for people (to understand and play, but NOT necessarily a non-difficult game) who have played both 1st and 3rd person games, and various people look at it as an opportunity to bash Bethesda, Fallout 3, and Todd?

Hey look! There's a rock!
Random Hater: Yeah.. it reminds me of Todd's head. I HATE FALLOUT #!3 it has EXPLODEY CARS & PHatman and I"M GONNA DIIEEEEE!

PaladinHeart said:
The guy says the game is easy for people (to understand and play, but NOT necessarily a non-difficult game) who have played both 1st and 3rd person games, and various people look at it as an opportunity to bash Bethesda, Fallout 3, and Todd?

People are filling a thread about an interview that offers nothing of interest with jokes. There's nothing to discuss in that interview, so nobody's really talking about it

Also, no one mentioned Todd.

PaladinHeart said:
Because they see it as yet another indication that these are the players Bethesda is catering to in F3, a game which calls itself a sequel to a TB PnP-emulating RPG. Not that this isn't obvious by now.

You should try to keep the two distinct in your mind. Pete's not exactly the best speaker, but he's quite a bit better than Todd. Though how both are PR guys I'll never know.

My mistake on not getting his job right. That's pretty weird itself, but it's more understandable than Pete having, as his main job, the responsibility of cogently communicating what his company's doing with their games. Very, very odd that he's a paid PR guy.

Kyuu said:
Todd isn't a PR guy. He's -- even worse -- a lead developer.

Read the recent gamasutra interview with Emil.Emil is the lead along with Todd, but its Emil who writes almost everything.I hope fortunately.

Kyuu said:
Todd isn't a PR guy. He's -- even worse -- a lead developer.

Todd is not the lead developer. He's the executive producer. That means he can overrule Emil on any decision, but in principle Emil is the head of the design team and lays out the design direction. I'd say that in a company like Bethesda, the producers and PR have as much impact on design as the lead designer does. That's just how these kind of companies work.

Pete is not just a paid PR guy, he's the VP of PR and brand manager. While neither he nor Todd are the greatest speakers, I would not put much doubt on their abilities as PR guys. They're at least as good at hyping mediocre products as the enormous PR staffs of - say - EA.

Brother None said:
Todd is not the lead developer. He's the executive producer.
Oh right right, producer. I stand corrected.

BN has a point... whatever Pete lacks as a public speaker, the PR department as Bethesda is still pretty successful at doing their job: creating hype. Although it's possible that the PR department does well despite Pete's presence, rather than because of it.

When you have the budget they do, they can afford (obviously) to generate all kinds of useless trinkets to appeal to the masses.

I'd love to know what their budget for advertising has been so far, including that army they created.

Pope Viper said:
When you have the budget they do, they can afford (obviously) to generate all kinds of useless trinkets to appeal to the masses.

I'd love to know what their budget for advertising has been so far, including that army they created.

yes , me too, i think they use the 60% (or more) of the budget in stupid trinkets for the masses

Style over substance seems to be the rule of game design of Bethesda with Tadd at the helm.
I'd love to see the ratio of what they pay the big name voice actors versus what they pay the writers.

Kyuu said:
Brother None said:
Todd is not the lead developer. He's the executive producer.
Oh right right, producer. I stand corrected.

BN has a point... whatever Pete lacks as a public speaker, the PR department as Bethesda is still pretty successful at doing their job: creating hype. Although it's possible that the PR department does well despite Pete's presence, rather than because of it.

Well the hype for Fallout was already built. The hype was there when it was announced (sadly not because of the Fallout franchise but due to Bethesda's earlier work). All they had to do is release few gameplay/trailer videos.

So what exactly did they do for Fallout to boost the hype? (except stupid interviews and childish narration?).

Back