Starcraft 2 - It is out there

It seems like a rehash of Zeratul's in BW. Strange that Zeratul forgot all about that one too. Hm.

Ulysses said:
It seems like a rehash of Zeratul's in BW. Strange that Zeratul forgot all about that one too. Hm.

I have been reading other's opinions about that too, but someone suggested that Zeratul's reaction was more surprise that the hybrids were already active.

What I find strange is that Raynor reaction to the hybrid in the Dominion lab is something created by Mensk's scientists, especially after I already finished the Zeratul missions long before I visited the facility, making it clear that the hybrids are created by someone else.

Rather it might suggest that this same entity might work together with Emperor Arcturus.

So, finished it in on day & a half of fairly hardcore gaming. I enjoyed most of it, but was annoyed by a few things:
  • Raynor was turned into a character that I could relate less to than before. Gets better near the end, but still.
  • How does one sell samples from Zeratul's missions if they're memories? Anyhow, I guess they sold the research, not the samples. :)
  • Some inconsistencies in dialogue depending on mission sequence chosen.
  • Some huge units are pretty damn frail and small/basic units can be pretty damn strong... This could be viewed as a good thing or a bad thing, I guess.
  • Merc units are omnipresent... Quite often I had more mercs than normal units.
  • Achievement galore. God, I hate that.
Other than that, I had a good deal of fun. Not sure I'll play much online though, since I kinda suck at uber fast macromanagement. I do fine until I hit the top of the tech tree & then I just can't keep up with more serious gamers. I like to build castles too much. :)
The Dutch Ghost said:
So how many of you have found and played the secret mission?

Much to my shame I had to use assistance to find it.
Why would you be ashamed?

[spoiler:6c7e660bab]If I'm correct, then it's a science center marked red but as faction civilian... I took a good hard look at it and left it be.

My Raynor isn't a murderer. ;)

In hindsight it was stupid to leave it be, but it was equally stupid for Blizzard to mark it the way they did.[/spoiler:6c7e660bab]

The Dutch Ghost said:
So how many of you have found and played the secret mission?

Much to my shame I had to use assistance to find it.
i either missed it or didnt got there yet, if anyone want to share on how to get it please use spoiler tags.

btw did anyone managed to finish the 'in total darkness' mission on brutal?
normal was to easy, eventually i even got bored and rushed them so they can kill me, hard was very tricky but if you use heroes, build right and remember where they are coming from and some minor micromanagement if they brake in, then its alright.

but brutal was just brutal! its just way over my skill level :cry:

SuAside said:
[*]Merc units are omnipresent... Quite often I had more mercs than normal units.
hmmm... i never used Merc, i spent everything in the armory (something that going to be left for another playthrough) are they any good, i mean cost to added strength value ?

SuAside said:
Other than that, I had a good deal of fun. Not sure I'll play much online though, since I kinda suck at uber fast macromanagement. I do fine until I hit the top of the tech tree & then I just can't keep up with more serious gamers. I like to build castles too much. :)
dont worry they got a good match system, you'll be playing against pp-l of your level and none of us going to play vs korean's :lol:

The Dutch Ghost said:
I have been reading other's opinions about that too, but someone suggested that Zeratul's reaction was more surprise that the hybrids were already active.

What I find strange is that Raynor reaction to the hybrid in the Dominion lab is something created by Mensk's scientists, especially after I already finished the Zeratul missions long before I visited the facility, making it clear that the hybrids are created by someone else.

Rather it might suggest that this same entity might work together with Emperor Arcturus.

Good point about Zeratul, my initial impression was that he had no idea what they were. As for Raynor, yeah, that was a bit off but given you have choice in which mission to do, the mission dialogues don't track what you've done. Narrative ends up disjoint though.

SuAside said:
So, finished it in on day & a half of fairly hardcore gaming. I enjoyed most of it, but was annoyed by a few things:
so far only 2 think that comes to mind:
1. the the protoss carriers :evil: the are not as sexy as in SC!
2. the time to come back from alt+tab is a bit long(that or my pc is a bit old)

and some levels are to damn easy even on hard, i prefer missions where you are hard pressed, for example the invasion mission its was very rewarding to be able to get all the pods especially the 2 battle cruisers and Thor :D (there is a very simple trick to do it)
while the next mission was battle cruiser walk in the park, guys who like static defense(and always lose in MP) will love it.

I know the matching system from the beta.

Quite frankly, I liked the many vs many or free for all stuff best.

1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 ain't my thing.
mor said:
1. the the protoss carriers :evil: the are not as sexy as in SC!

That pretty much falls under my "Some huge units are pretty damn frail and small/basic units can be pretty damn strong..."

mor said:
2. the time to come back from alt+tab is a bit long(that or my pc is a bit old)
Quite a bit of games simply crash nowadays if you dare alt+tab...
So I'm quite happy it works at least.

Was surprised how frail the big units were like you said. When I first versed Thor's I thought I was in for a challenge. A small unit of marines with medics later and it was a smoking wreckage. It must be made of the same cardboard siege tanks are, had a zealot go through 3 of those in about 10 seconds.

Like a battlecruiser I'm taking it slow so still got a bit of the campaign left to do.

Oh and also if you select marines or marauders and type in /dance they show why the Terrans are the best faction.

All races can dance actually
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHBPiQlDSI[/youtube]

bought the game today and have had the time to play 5-6 missions. so far it's probably one of the most entertaining RTS's I've ever played. but as with all RTS's, I can only enjoy myself for so long before growing pretty bored. still feels like a worthwhile purchase though, seeing as how it seems to have a lot of replayability and the multiplayer seems pretty damn balanced and fun. I'm gonna finish the campaign before I even try to play against others though, I'm such a StarCraft noob.

Now that I have finished Starcraft 2's main campaign mode, I honestly wish that "Starcraft Ghost" had been released as I would love to play another story in the SC universe.

Of course it would be nice if the graphics had been like that of SC2 and that it had (also) been released on the PC.

Seems SC gave me a mood for more stories in its in-game universe.

(I know about the books and the comics, but I find it rather annoying when those serve to fill in 'holes' the games leave. plus I am not really in the mood of reading a story, rather wanting to 'experience' it during a game.)

Most of the books and comics are generic cliche crap anyway. Heck the comic that came with the collecter's edition was so cliche I had to go have a lie down afterwards.

Undoubtedly the best game of the year, well, because there aren't many good PC games being released lately, and a worthy sequel, and it comes with a its own map editor (how many PC game developer continue the traditional way lately?) which is going to satisfy my map-making fetish (also a handy tool to create my tabletop game terrain :) )

btw can anyone judge which theme is better SC1 or SC2 ?
because after so much time playing SC1 i got used to it and cannot accept the lack of the "trumpets" part, so i am to biased for this.

EDIT: also did anyone played the challenges yet? i did only the first one 2 kilsl short of gold :(

just gave another go, finished all basic changeless with gold, 10,7,8 kills. protoss and zerg was far more easier than terrans damn marines are just too vulnerable to event try micro them at least for my none korean eye to hand coordination.

tips: dont forget to spread out your units, plan ahead for some units to take away some fire and be able to retreat, dont build symmetrical and you dont want to waste tank fire so dont place them all in one line, you can borrow injured zerg units to avoid kills, press alt when playing protoss, use units strength mortals can take heavy fire, dived your void ray atention as their attack getting stronger with time, use stalker blink and templar storms. btw Brood lord's are just bad ass.

soon gonna try multiplayer ...

well though the archons looked from their design a lot better in SC1 if you ask me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDEc252woWo&feature=related[/youtube]

Back