Starfield

Are you going to be a Bethesdafag?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • I am a hypocrite.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I like to whine a lot about things I am the reason for sucking.

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
Why does it have to be Fallout that Bethesda makes the testbed for their shitty decisions? Out of all IPs they own why did it need to be the RPG franchise least inclined to have a voiced protagonist and 4 option only dialogue wheel that they felt absolutely needed to be inserted? It’s almost like they sabotage Fallout in order to make their original IPs look better in comparison. Or maybe it’s because they know they can do quite literally anything to Fallout and people will vehemently defend them.
I've said this before that Bethesda should have learned from not only Obsidian's FNV but also from the massive fan pushback on their own forums' Fallout 4 Suggestions thread were me and a few others were constantly trying to bridge the gap between old and new with reasonable ideas that would progress the series forward and instead of using any of that Fallout 4 is designed specifically to be a cockslap to the face of all of us who wanted Fallout to be Fallout.

Fallout 4 is maliciously designed just to upset Fallout fans of old. I don't see how they could do the things they did unless it was just to spite us as all of the changes are horrifically bad for Fallout going forward. Maybe it's pride and ego that they wanted to make a fun game then got criticized to hell for doing a stupid shit game that strayed from the originals and when Obsidian updid them at their own type of game they acted out like petty children, destroying the thing rather than letting anyone else play with it.

Like, I'm serious, we spent YEARS on that fucking forum constantly battling bad ideas and explaining in excruciating detail for why they were bad ideas and what could be done better, always trying to bridge the gap between old and new, always trying to find a compromise that would further the series and they took NONE of our ideas. But they did take popular building mods into it. They did ape romance options, voiced protagonist and dialogue wheel. They looked at our criticism of FEV in a vault and gave FEV to a fucking college. They looked at our suggestions for how to add back old skills or alter the skills to make it more varied and RPG-esque and chucked it out the window in favor of a perk chart. They looked at our suggestions for more mechanical ties to SPECIAL and took a sledgehammer to it reducing it to basically just a pre-req for the perk chart.

Fallout 4 is designed to spite us.
God I hope Starfield is a colossal failure and that Microsoft takes Fallout away from them...

What's infuriating about starfield is that you can't criticize this game without being called a "pony". Because anyone who doesn't like the the latest thing is just Sony fanboy.

Really? They're gonna hide behind that shield huh?

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ng-september-6th.122389/page-225#post-8643675 (if link doesn't send to correct post scroll down to post #5,617)

Ok, so I read another post in this thread that mentioned something about a maximum of 4 landing zones but I haven't seen any verification of it but according to the information I have so far here's how landing works:

1. You land on a spot, it generates the area (trees, plants, I don't know if the topography stays the same) +1 point of interest.
2. You go and explore that singular point of interest.
3. You leave because there is literally nothing else to explore inside the map boundaries unless you wanna mine some resources or kill some animals I guess.
4. When you land on a different spot on the planet the previous area is ERASED from existence.
+ If you land next to a FIXED location like a city you will not be able to see it from the horizon.

This is honestly worse than I thought it was.

[edit]

2023-08-30 11.15.12 rpgcodex.net ec9bb7d18d93.png

Last edited:
"we listened to him and we were like, "You know what, this is too specific."

Yeah, no shit, that's why it's extremely hard to roleplay in Fallout 4 because you decided to give them a specific voice. Imagining what voice they would have in your head based on the dialogue options available is far better.

[edit]

undefined
I joined the RPGCodex because i heard of their infamous reputation for shitting on Bethesda and other AAA companies that ruined old school franchises, but after a while i noticed there was an alarming number of people actively playing Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 and genuinely defending these shitty ass games.

Last edited:
God I hope Starfield is a colossal failure and that Microsoft takes Fallout away from them...

Unfortunately I am not sure what other studio should handle it. I am not really a fan of Obsidian or Inxile getting to handle though Inxile might do a bit of a better job.

Wasteland 2 was a decent Fallout:Tactics clone, but Bard's Tale 4 was crap.

I still haven't played Torment —[and I backed it]— so I can't speak for its quality as a game. I don't own Wasteland 3.

I still haven't played Torment —[and I backed it]— so I can't speak for its quality as a game. I don't own Wasteland 3.

I very dislike how Inxile came back on their promises with the products that got backed by fans. There was a lot of content I wanted to see in Wasteland 2 that got scrapped and the same goes for Wasteland 3. Maybe just very nitpicky stuff some of this content sounded like something I would enjoy as there are plenty of parts that are not too my interest that did make it in the games. But I have also come to learn that I do not like the Wasteland universe or the games as much as I like the Fallout games.

Torment after how it was planned to be like also feels like a half kept promise.

To be honest, I don't event really want Tim Cain do another Fallout game even though I am curious about this idea he talked about for a new title in the franchise that would be very different and unique from previous entries. For me he soured his reputation with The Outer Worlds which was such a forgettable experience both gameplay and content wise. (I know that he was only a producer but when he hyped it up so many years ago...)

What could possibly be so different about Starfield that they decided to actually think for a zeptosecond and walk back from a voiced protagonist that they couldn’t spare for Fallout of all fucking franchises?

Because it is Todd's baby.

Unfortunately I am not sure what other studio should handle it. I am not really a fan of Obsidian or Inxile getting to handle though Inxile might do a bit of a better job.
If Fallout is ever moved from Bethesda to another studio proper then I don't see why they wouldn't just do a reboot of the series. Cause there's no way another studio would go back to FNV and ignore everything Bethesda and call it non-canon and if it builds upon Bethesda's work then what's the point? Lore's still contradictory at that point. And if a reboot happens then that is an opportunity to, well, reset everything which could be great or it could be awful. Once a series jumps the shark then that's it, there's no going back, a reboot needs to happen.

In this hypothetical I don't care if Fallout is an isometric turn-based cRPG or a immersive sim first person game or a third person sandbox RPG. All I care about is that the writing is good, it has internally consistent lore and art design and that there is a focus on roleplaying primarily regardless of the type of game it is. (I'd prefer isometric (with a FIXED camera) view with turn-based combat of course)

It doesn't need to be InXile for this, can be literally any competent studio.

Whether they succeed or not is a whole 'nother thing. But hey, I'd take a reboot from anyone over Bethesda at this point.

However, I do wonder if Microsoft is gonna look at BG3's success and go "what franchises do we own that could do THAT?" Might not even need Bethesda's mainline series out of Bethesda's hands for a reboot, might just get a Marvel Ultimate universe equivalent to Fallout. :O

Wasteland 3 is fun, it improved upon a bunch of things in Wasteland 2 but it is also a bit more uh... Modern? It's not even close to what the original Wasteland was.

I very dislike how Inxile came back on their promises with the products that got backed by fans. There was a lot of content I wanted to see in Wasteland 2 that got scrapped and the same goes for Wasteland 3. Maybe just very nitpicky stuff some of this content sounded like something I would enjoy as there are plenty of parts that are not too my interest that did make it in the games. But I have also come to learn that I do not like the Wasteland universe or the games as much as I like the Fallout games.

Torment after how it was planned to be like also feels like a half kept promise.

To be honest, I don't event really want Tim Cain do another Fallout game even though I am curious about this idea he talked about for a new title in the franchise that would be very different and unique from previous entries. For me he soured his reputation with The Outer Worlds which was such a forgettable experience both gameplay and content wise. (I know that he was only a producer but when he hyped it up so many years ago...)
What got scrapped from Wasteland 2 and 3?

And yeah I don't trust Tim "Triangle" Cain at all with RPG design anymore. That video of him present a "better skill system" was so damning of his mindset of RPG's now that I don't trust him at all not to "modernize" and "streamline" things to the unth degree.

[edit]

Starfield's marketing campaign is really weird.

noyptbizATaxawBNFkKiYd.jpg

Chair.jpg

iu

Last edited:
If Fallout is ever moved from Bethesda to another studio proper then I don't see why they wouldn't just do a reboot of the series. Cause there's no way another studio would go back to FNV and ignore everything Bethesda and call it non-canon and if it builds upon Bethesda's work then what's the point? Lore's still contradictory at that point. And if a reboot happens then that is an opportunity to, well, reset everything which could be great or it could be awful. Once a series jumps the shark then that's it, there's no going back, a reboot needs to happen.

In this hypothetical I don't care if Fallout is an isometric turn-based cRPG or a immersive sim first person game or a third person sandbox RPG. All I care about is that the writing is good, it has internally consistent lore and art design and that there is a focus on roleplaying primarily regardless of the type of game it is. (I'd prefer isometric (with a FIXED camera) view with turn-based combat of course)

I really don't want a reboot @Mr Fish because it will only follow up more on Bethesda's way of story ideas and writing. We will have wars between the BOS, the Enclave, and mutants all over the wasteland, forever. People forever living like it was just twenty years after the war. Shitty Bethesda humor.
I know there will be no going back to FNV, decanonizing all of Bethesda's crap (God I wish Van Buren had been made so that we had a proper trilogy). The lore is damaged beyond repair and I don't know who I would trust with the writing of a reboot. Definitely not current day writers.

And it will probably be yet another action-shooter with stat elements where the player will not be limited in the choices they get to make, there would just be too much backlash from gamers and journalists if they are limited in some way and need to start a whole new game to see what the others outcomes would be like. Oh the tyranny of choice.

What got scrapped from Wasteland 2 and 3?

I am mostly talking about content and plot ideas. My memories on Wasteland 2's cut content is a little vague but I remember from Wasteland 3 that I really liked the concept of the Faders even if they were just another faction. This secret group hiding in Cheyenne Mountain, working on improving each generation of soldiers. Sure the themes had been done before but I would have enjoyed it more than what Iron Mountain would eventually be used for.
The 'nuclear explosion in stasis' was suppose to be at the Air Force Academy's laboratories before it got brought back in the second DLC for Wasteland 3 and put in Cheyenne Mountain. But after watching a walkthrough of Cult of the Holy Detonation I honestly wish it had stayed scrapped as I found the plot and the factions very uninteresting as we have already seen it so many times before now.

Wasteland 3 is fun, it improved upon a bunch of things in Wasteland 2 but it is also a bit more uh... Modern? It's not even close to what the original Wasteland was.
That was my issue with Wasteland 2, and Bard's Tale 4; my thinking that Krome Studios outmatched InXile with their BT1-3 remasters. I'd have loved to see a version of BT4 done by them done in the same engine [Unity] they used for their 1, 2, & 3 remasters.

*I'd have loved to see InXile's version too, had they begun the project intending to not stray far from the established series.

Myself... more or less I'd have been fine with something akin to even this:
BT4%20_preferred_small.jpg

Last edited:

So far it seems like most game journalist and youtube reviewers are loving StarField. Does that mean it's good. Maybe. I doubt it.

Every word of this review betrays the giant shiny 7 it got. Absolute madness.

Welp I guess it’s better than the fucking 9.5/10 they gave to Fallout 4.

IMG_7483.jpeg

Back