Suggestion for improving fallout 3 --> fallout 4

ashley52

First time out of the vault
DIALOGUE AND INTERACTION

-Problem
This is the biggest problem with fallout 3.
Laborious, stale... "Tell me more about ....." YAWN
God, could this be any more derivative and uninteresting.
This killed the game for me... ruining the side quests... ruining the experience full stop.

-answer
The original Fallout had a plethora of personalities. Lively characters. Bethesda have to go back and look at the charisma of the original fallout. The wit and dark humour that oozed not just from every text... but also from the animation and art concepts.

The Cinema-culture references in the original were fantastic...

My suggestion.... the interaction could be more personalised depending on your character.

Use cinema culture...

For example if your character evolves into an intelligent bad guy...
maybe we could have him be more sarcastic and sadistic in his observations...
Maybe even have a voice over ... some self narration like characters in "dexter" or "american Psycho".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-yoMEZXnbQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJz0O2NjOo[/youtube]

Intelligent good guy... I picture a Charlton Heston type ... philosophical ranting ... 'Planet of the apes' or 'Omega Man' style narration and interaction.

DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWphqA1Slrw[/youtube]

A more strength-brawns type character could speak frank...Duke Nukem style... insert a whole array of arnold shwarzenneger.. rambo references...

Charismatic... maybe someone like 'Bruce Campbell' in the evil dead horror films... Always tongue in cheek, and friendly with the ladies. Hans solo maybe. Charlie Sheenish.

These are just ideas running off the top of my head... of course they would be more subtle than I described... but Bethesda's work is missing the pop-culture references that the originals had. Anyone remember 'boy and his dog' ... 'mad max'...

As it stands.. the dialouge and interaction and its personalisation (i.e. [SPEECH]....) is flacid.

I think your character's stats and behaviour should have a more specific and deliberate effect on the interactions offered to you. and this could be based on the many cinema heroes and villains in our cinema culture.

This could be included as background voice over as you interact with the environment... or directly injected into the dialouge box itself.

AS your character develops, particular voice overs are activated as you scour, interact and reach flagpoints in the wastelands.

Simple programming could allow for this "if\then" scripting in the game.

I think Fallout 4 should be at least 75% RPG instead of 80% FPS.

if it is FP then a switch to ISO during combat would be good.

and bring back solid damage reduction on some armors (there is some armor BBs and Darts have no business penetrating.).

Bethesda does what they do best...... I think that line says it all. All your suggestions will only go to waste.....

AskWazzup said:
Bethesda does what they do best...... I think that line says it all. All your suggestions will only go to waste.....

if that's their best I hope they can learn to improve (ALLOT).

Bethesda had a well established franchise on their hand with already a lot of content, interesting twists and plots inside and to say that I dont even doubt that they eventualy tried their "best" with the quests and writting. But I doubt that Fallout 4 can get anything better compared to Fallout 3. Not unless Bethesda cares about to focus more on the writting and dialogues and less on graphics or visuals in general.

Already with Oblivion they showed what "improvements" mean compared to their last games. So ... I have the feeling that anything reagarding Fallout 4 is loost hope. The franchise pretty much died with Fallout 3 when it comes to the true old fallout feeling and spirit.

- fully destroyable environment (Red Faction: Guerrilla style)

- kill-able children (yeah I know mods)

- cover system

- Thief series like looting and sneaking

- more and better dialogs/voice acting

- improved path-finding

- more AI like the Enclave (officers) (that to say NPCs that take cover and loot corpses to take their better weapons)

- vehicles (I want to fly a Vertibird, UFO and to drive the good ol' Highwayman)

- groin and eyes shots in VATS

- mutated forest/plants/trees (I can just imagine flesh eating trees)

- some more interesting and well made NPCs

- some interesting and fun critters, like say 3 headed fire breading gliding squirrels witch you can launch with the Fat-man :mrgreen:

- a more advanced mesm-what-you-call-it that can erase memory MiB style and also can allow you to mess with their minds seriously (Jedi mind trick style, like ordering them to jump from buildings, start a fight with someone, play tag with explosives or dance till exhaustion) :lol:

- eliminate leveling, and allow some practice makes perfect Oblivion style but as exaggerated not till 255 combined with a Gothic III style experience system

I don't think you can explain to Bethesda's writers how "psychology" and interesting people works OP. So I'm guessing that those who play Bethesda's next game will have to endure talking to retards once more.

Seamless environments
More NPC's
No plot holes
Larger cities
More cities
More varied game world
More factions
No default enemy faction (can join all of them)
Better stealth system (it seems to have got worse from Oblivion)
Ditch the Karma system - should be affected by witnessed acts only
Add prisons or something rather than just hostile town when caught (this is worse than oblivion in F3)
Allow a speech/science oriented character more chance in the game (I must admit F3 isn't 'that' bad for this)
Get rid of leveled enemies (WTF were they thinking it makes it piss-easy)
Make combat slower outside of VATS
Make VATS more accurate (atm I barely bother using it)
Add in a motorcycle like the horse was in Oblivion but better (combat perhaps?)
Add in more roaming travellers, seperate farms/estates, etc.
Generally make the game more populated
Set it closer to the war (perhaps have the intro watching the bombs come down)
Base it somewhere new (perhaps not USA?)

EDIT: Dialog options based on intelligence (stupid character)
Killing children

My ideas:

New Engine
Better Dialogue
Some semblance of a main story

That's all I ask... is it really too much?

I think the first big step would be to get rid of the current development team and forbid them from getting even close to the FO4's team office.

Serious.

The Dutch Ghost said:
I think the first big step would be to get rid of the current development team and forbid them from getting even close to the FO4's team office.

Serious.

I do hope your kidding.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are really the pinnacle of gaming. If they fixed some of the issues I addressed above the games really would be incredible.

No-one plays isometric games anymore, get over it.

jamesmcm said:
I do hope your kidding.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are really the pinnacle of gaming. If they fixed some of the issues I addressed above the games really would be incredible.

Goddammit, are you after all my posts?

If you lower standard of gaming, fine with me, but just because a turd with flags and lights sticking out of it impresses you doesn't mean its automatically the best thing ever.

How long have you been playing games?
I have been pretty much around it since it started to become big, seen how it became better and more interactive and entertaining before it collapsed to an incredible low.

Wait a minute... is this Todd Howard or Emil?

This is very ignorant and short sighted. Almost everybody here has played Fallout 1 or 2, and probably still do. Diablo 3 is coming out soon, it is isometric. Why is it isometric you may ask? Because isometric is best suited for it's gameplay.

TheRatKing said:
This is very ignorant and short sighted. Almost everybody here has played Fallout 1 or 2, and probably still do. Diablo 3 is coming out soon, it is isometric. Why is it isometric you may ask? Because isometric is best suited for it's gameplay.

Who says Fallout has to be isometric. You could make an FPS/RPG in the Diablo universe. Bethesda bought the rights to the Fallout universe - they are in no way bound to make an isometric RPG just to appease hte old fans (all 12 of them :P). You don't like it ? Tough. I and many others love it.

I was simply stating that many people still play the original Fallouts, which were isometric.

You could make an FPS/RPG in the Diablo universe
This would certainly not suit the gameplay and overall design of Diablo. What if Oblivion were isometric and turn-based? Would you complain? I am sure many fans would complain because iso turned based is not what suits Oblivion's gameplay and design.

Back