Suggestion for improving fallout 3 --> fallout 4

jamesmcm said:
Who says Fallout has to be isometric. You could make an FPS/RPG in the Diablo universe. Bethesda bought the rights to the Fallout universe - they are in no way bound to make an isometric RPG just to appease hte old fans (all 12 of them :P). You don't like it ? Tough. I and many others love it.

No insulting, no shouting, here is a question I have been walking around with for some time now.
I think you can answer it

Did you, or these 'other' people really need Fallout?
Outside perhaps a gaming history lesson that mentioned Fallout, did you ever hear of the series?

I can be mistaken but I think the answer would be 'No'.
Most current gamers did not know of the series, or really felt that they needed it for some reason.

Could we now please quit the bullshit that Fallout has been liberated from the 'elitists' and given to the 'people' who rightfully deserved it?

jamesmcm said:
The Dutch Ghost said:
I think the first big step would be to get rid of the current development team and forbid them from getting even close to the FO4's team office.

Serious.

I do hope your kidding.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are really the pinnacle of gaming. If they fixed some of the issues I addressed above the games really would be incredible.

No-one plays isometric games anymore, get over it.
A very poor troll.

jamesmcm said:
I do hope your kidding.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are really the pinnacle of gaming. If they fixed some of the issues I addressed above the games really would be incredible.

No-one plays isometric games anymore, get over it.
:facepalm:

fallout 3 and oblivion are THE PINNACLE OF GAMING ?
Both of those games are simplified, mediocre, over hyped, games.
And im not even going to nag about the the amount of bugs both of the games had/have.

And no-one plays ISO games ? hmm...Starcraft 2 ? Diablo 3 ?
Are you seriously claiming that ISO cant work ?
You could make an FP-rpg in diablo universe,yes, but i doubt they would call it Diablo 3, unlike bethesda did. And i really dont think diablo needs to be made into FP-rpg. Even if you want it to be FP, there are plenty of people who prefer ISO.

ISO Fallout would be best, but i can live with FP Fallout.

But if it has Fallout on it, i expect certain things. I expect good dialogue, moral ambiguity,good story, bleak wasteland with hostile, sad, angry people that are trying to survive ,meaningfull choices, the "bright" past and the desolate future. And fallout 3 has none of those. Its just rubbish.

i have another one:

Did you want a Fallout game ? Or did you want another oblivion ?

James, rather than troll around here, why not spread the good word at the Beth forums?

For the "should fallout be isometric" try using the "search" function here at NMA, and you'll find about 3 years worth of posts. Trust me, you can't come up with some new argument that hasn't been destroyed here before.

Let's not feed the trolls... it does make them a tad yappy.

rcorporon said:
James, rather than troll around here, why not spread the good word at the Beth forums?

For the "should fallout be isometric" try using the "search" function here at NMA, and you'll find about 3 years worth of posts. Trust me, you can't come up with some new argument that hasn't been destroyed here before.

Well I guess I mean turn-based isometric.

Anyway, i you think Fallout 2 is objectively better than Fallout 3 then you're kidding yourself.

jamesmcm said:
Anyway, i you think Fallout 2 is objectively better than Fallout 3 then you're kidding yourself.

Are you even speaking English anymore?

In terms of being a "Fallout" sequel, FO2 succeeds in nearly every aspect. It stayed true to the first one, and improved on it in many ways, without sacrificing the core elements of the franchise.

Can the same be said of FO3?

rcorporon said:

Please stop backbench moderating. James has been spammy and will run into a brick wall if he continues, but he has been courteous about his opinion.

You certainly don't have the right to tell people to post somewhere else. Leave this up to the mods.

Brother None said:
Please stop backbench moderating. James has been spammy and will run into a brick wall if he continues, but he has been courteous about his opinion.

You certainly don't have the right to tell people to post somewhere else. Leave this up to the mods.

Apologies.

Figured he'd get a better reception there with the "Oblivion is the pinnacle of gaming" posts.

Brother None said:
James has been spammy and will run into a brick wall if he continues, but he has been courteous about his opinion.
I beg to differ. "Shut up" is probably not that offensive but it certainly isn't courteous. But that's up to you.

jamesmcm said:

Lets see, how they fare as RPGs, games and sequels:

Fallout 2 has multiple choices and consequences, you actions effect endings in varied ways.
fallout 3 has few choices, and almost no consequences, and your actions do not have much impact in the games endings.

Fallout 2 has complex, superior dialogue, with heavy skill/stat checks.
fallout 3 has simple dialogue with relatively few skill/stat checks.

Fallout 2 has similar SPECIAL and perks as Fallout, skills effect gameplay.
fallout 3 has simplified perks, and no traits, skills do not effect accuracy or the gameplay as much as they did in Fallout.

Combat in Fallout 2 has critical failures, stats and skills effect how you fight greatly, and requires you to find a working tactic.
Combat in fallout 3 is not greatly effected with your chracters skills, or stats, and requires almost no tactics, as just go for the vats head shots works fine.

Fallout 2 world has began to develop, and early city states have began to rise. Agriculture is important.
fallout 3 has gone back to right after war, no agriculture is visible

Fallout 2 has large gameworld, with intresting NPCs.
fallout 3 has small gameworld, with moira.

Fallout 2 has many bugs.
fallout 3 has many bugs.

How is fallout 3 superior as a RPG or a sequel?

In terms of being a "Fallout" sequel, FO2 succeeds in nearly every aspect. It stayed true to the first one, and improved on it in many ways, without sacrificing the core elements of the franchise.

Fallout 2 wasn't particularly faithful to the setting, though.

Sorry guys, I don't want this to turn into a flame war anymore than you do but I find it really depressing that every post about Fallout 3 on these forums is complaining about it. No complaining about it will change the fact that it _is_ Fallout 3 so accept it and move on. When I go in the Fallout 3 discussion forums I expect posts about the game like in the Fallout 1&2 forums, posts like how to find Lincoln's repeater not just post after post damning Bethesda. Us Fallout 3 fans don't go and spam the original Fallout discussion pages so please don't spam the Fallout 3 discussion pages with your complains.

I know this is in the Future Game discussion but it applies here as well.

jamesmcm said:
When I go in the Fallout 3 discussion forums I expect posts about the game like in the Fallout 1&2 forums, posts like how to find Lincoln's repeater not just post after post damning Bethesda.
Tell me how "post after post" is "damning Bethesda" in the Fallout 3 Gameplay & Tech Forum where questions like how to find Lincoln's repeater belong. Are you seeing ghosts?

jamesmcm said:
Us Fallout 3 fans don't go and spam the original Fallout discussion pages so please don't spam the Fallout 3 discussion pages with your complains.
It's called "Fallout 3 Discussions", not "Praise Fallout 3". Or is it? By definition, a discussion is a conversation between two or more people talking about a topic, each party stating their opinions and arguments.

jamesmcm said:
Sorry guys, I don't want this to turn into a flame war anymore than you do but I find it really depressing that every post about Fallout 3 on these forums is complaining about it. No complaining about it will change the fact that it _is_ Fallout 3 so accept it and move on.

No.

You accept that not everyone loves Fallout 3. From there, either go for earnest discussion or don't post.

If you insist on keeping up this line of "oh it's so depressing that a Fallout fansite hates Fallout 3" or "you all made your minds up", you will be banned. Fair warning. Stop.

TheRatKing said:
eliminate leveling, and allow some practice makes perfect Oblivion style
NOOOO!!! You just opened Pandora's Box! You fool!

I actually like the idea behind Morrowind's system. Ok, people abused it, but maybe if you limit getting better at basic things like running, jumping etc. only during combat it would limit the abuse. Or just make it increase very slowly and capped until you reach higher level.

I also think that the idea of giving you a multiplier when leveling for the skills you have used the most was good. It certainly is at least a fraction more realistic than having you be shit and then magically become better at everything the second you get that one extra XP to go up a level.

At least for trying to implement ongoing actions in the world into the character development system I'd give Beth credit.

I have to say, I'm surprised there are actually people who would strongly characterize themselves as Fallout 3 fans, and would argue for its merits so avidly.

I'm not a diehard of canon. I don't care if the game is iso or 3d or turn based or real time, as long as it plays well. But I'm still forced to conclude that fallout 3 has very deep flaws. I agree with most (definately not all) of jamesmcm's list, but it's quite a list. Overall, my biggest criticism is that they failed to create a really immersive environment. The main quest and major plot points are horrble too. It's enjoyable, but ultimately a mediocre gaming experience.

A suggestion I haven't seen yet (in this particular thread) is to create a traversable world map. The game desperately needs a sense of scale. Packing so many dungeons into a map it takes five minutes to walk across was a mistake. People should not live a few minutes walk from a super mutant warzone or raider base. Bethesda can create their pretty 3d environments, fine, but they need lots of seperate little ones and a world map linking them. I know, Bethesda likes the idea of creating a seemless world. It's a noble goal. But that forces them to mash everything together, so they end up creating a really crappy little seemless world. If they can't make a good seemless world, then they need to accept it and move on from the idea.

jamesmcm: I think you're on the wrong forum. Try Bethesda's forum next time. Fact is many people here entered this forum because of the original fallouts(see by the entering dates) and lots of them do not like The Elder Scrolls : Fallout.

Also , imagine EA Games bought the The Elder Scrolls rights and made TES: Horse Racer(???), a Racing game, that is still inserted in the TES universe and has some elements from the original. Would that be Elder Scrolls?

jamesmcm said:
rcorporon said:

turn-based isometric? the next will be "Old-fallout" isometric...

C'mon man! TES is TES and fallout is fallout and both have their good things.

Imagine that my brother is a fan of TES series and I am a fan of Fallout series, and both of us played FO3 and hated it because of the mixture.

It can't be like this... fallout 3 is a "good game", but it is not a fallout, it has little to do with old fallouts, only a licence.

jamesmcm said:

What are you talking about!!! I think objectively that mario 1 is better than oblivion.... what argument do you have to think like this??? graphics? oblivion + vats gameplay??? Cmon!! use your brain and think!

Also I think OBJECTIVELY that fallout 2 is the best game ever made... objectively, subjectively, what you want, and I am not kidding myself.

Is there a thread about Fallout 3 that hasn't fallen victim to the oh-so-fresh slam/defend model of typical NMA Fallout discussion? I'd like to post there.

If you have no use for Fallout 3, is it too much to ask that you refrain from posting in threads like these? Do we need the constant baiting and trolling?

Back