Syndicate rebooted as (surprise) an FPS

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Eternal, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mutoes

Mutoes Mildly Dipped

Feb 5, 2008
    Damn the screen is constantly cluttered with ugly text and symbols and some of the animations looked like crap. From the video the game seems like bland and generic shooter.

2. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
  3. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    whats wrong with you guys.

They are just trying to update it in to the new age of computer/console gaming. The original developers only have not done it because of technical limitations.

4. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    After seeing that HUD, I immediately stopped downloading that demo. For fuck's sake, why is it so hard to understand that visual info needs to be kept to a god damn minimum?

And how is the original Syndicate anyway? It's like X-COM, right?

5. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009

What?

6. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    He's banging on about the UI, probably could have been better put. :V

7. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    In a FPS where many things are going on at once, a cluttered HUD is a bad thing. And there is much clutter to be had here. Will most definitely pass up that one. That ''bringing Syndicate to a new generation'' is such a stupid excuse to recycle a franchise. It's Fallout 3 all over again, but at least Beth pretended it was an RPG. Now they're just harping on about how its different because, ooooh, you can revive teamates, so it's not like any other FPS!...

...Except Battlefield. And Gears of War. And probably others I can't bother to think about.

8. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    But isn't it better if I as a player have an overview over what is going on directly on the screen without having to press too many buttons to access these informations? :/

9. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    Sorry, I worded that badly. What I mean is that the HUD is just crammed full of useless shit. At the very most, there should be a minimap in one of the top corners, a health and ammo bar at bottom right, and a little thing telling you the score on the bottom left. Nowadays, HUDs are crammed full of stuff like objective markers, killstreak notifications, and messages telling you how many points you scored obscuring your crosshair. Can't they just put those damn things in a corner of the screen where they belong?

10. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    or none at all please.

It is not like doom needed all those to work like intended. Or any other simple shooter.

Hell. Not even Deus Ex had THAT many stuff going around and it was awesome for it.

11. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    It's little more than an action game, really. You have a team but you can't issue commands, dividing the team has no purpose and your weapons don't allow any particular strategy. It has a nice atmosphere but I always thought it was extremely over-rated back in the day.

12. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    X-COM is a turn-based strategy game while Syndicate is a squad-based action game with some strategical elements.

X-COM features base building and randomly generated missions while Syndicate has a set number of cities and no base building at all.

There are some vague similarities (the research and development for example) but in the end they are two very different games.

I don't agree with the "extremely over-rated" statement but each to his own of course.

13. Bulletmachine

Bulletmachine First time out of the vault

Dec 31, 2007
    Turns out Syndicate is another failure.

Why do these companies continue to rape my fondest gaming memories (Jagged Alliance, X-Com, Fallout, etc.) and turn them into a generic mess that has nothing to do with the originals save for the title? Because Beth pulled it off with their Oblivion crowd once?

It's like they're going "oh look, publisher XY released military shooter 34 and it is a huge commercial success, we must churn out at least 3 separate military shooter brands to surpass our business rivals!"

/rant

14. ZeusComplex

ZeusComplex Still Mildly Glowing

Feb 12, 2010
    From what I've heard, the creative force behind the glory days of Starbreeze have left to make their own studio. Guess I'll be following them instead of Starbreeze. I'm really not surprised this turned out to be a heaping pile of shit.

15. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    at least there is one Xcom game which looks very interesting!

16. brfritos

brfritos Humma Kavulaaaaaaa

Sep 8, 2009
    The veredict bringing a comparison between the game and a cup of cofee is perfect:
    "Small, cheap cup, slightly acrid, milk tastes a bit funny. ‘Salright though. Had better, had worse, wouldn’t buy again."

And we have all the progress in graphics, processor power and game controls for this? :facepalm:

Please, let the world really end in december 2012.

17. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Syndicate is interesting because I've seen both extremely negative and rave reviews. My guess is the game does have some high points (it looks great and the shooting seems solid), but of course it's nothing at all like the original in any but the most basic thematic ways, and it kind of just feels like a low-rent Deus Ex knockoff due to all the obvious similarities. It's a shame, because I think some aspects of the game are really cool and would have worked a lot better in an original property rather than yet another franchise revival.

18. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    So it's a generic FPS with next to nothing in common with the originals? I'd never guessed.

19. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
  20. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Syndicate wasn't anything more than a generic isometric shooter with upgrades and different guns. Oh, and a skeletal economy system. The only thing the original Syndicate had going for it was a dark, gritty science-fiction setting (before it became cliche), in the vein of Blade Runner. It even included similiar themes (omnipresent, extremely powerful corporations).