Terminator: Resistance - Now with Annihilation Line DLC

Terminator ended as a series after 2. anything after that is Fan Fiction and thus crap and gay.

Terminator along with Star Wars were just some rad movies from the 80s that should never have gotten sequels.

At least Back to the Future is unmolested.

With Back to the Future——they can write the retcons right into the main narrative, and have their new characters deconstruct the Doc and Marty as reckless amateurs who [finally] get brought to 'justice'.

Terminator along with Star Wars were just some rad movies from the 80s that should never have gotten sequels.

I feel that many of these movies were never meant to be long running franchises; Alien, Predator, Terminator, Robocop.
One or two movies were sufficient.

Tie in media such as books, comics, and video games are okay, though I often feel the books and comics fell flat because the writers either did not really understood the source material that well, tried to mimic it too much such as the plot lines, or to often added new inventions of their own that felt unfitting.

It will be interesting in what direction this DLC will go as it
does not seem to be about the 124th finding and destroying the power core. Perhaps they reserve it for a sequel?

Those Centurion HKs are a lot bigger than I thought they were, or they were really downsized in Terminator Dawn of Fate and some of the Terminator comics in which they appeared.

It's out now! Can it be played separately or is it part of the main campaign? On Steam it says:

ANNIHILATION LINE picks up mid-way through the main campaign story. The Resistance has just defeated their first Infiltrator, but for Jacob Rivers, there’s no time to rest up. Orders have come down from John Connor himself that he is to assist in the investigation of Northridge Outpost, a civilian settlement which has mysteriously gone silent.

So I guess that you have to start the game from the beginning to enjoy this?

It's out now! Can it be played separately or is it part of the main campaign? On Steam it says:

So I guess that you have to start the game from the beginning to enjoy this?

No, from what I heard is that like with the infiltrator mini DLC there is an option on the menu to directly start with this DLC once you have downloaded it.

You are handed some upgrade points so that you can can assign some to skills and abilities and don't need to start from basics.

Wait you have skills and abilities in this game like a RPG?

Somewhat. It is more like a FPS with some stat elements attached to it so you can improve things like carrying ability, crafting of items, hacking and lock picking.
And you need to improve your weapon handling skill in order to be able to use plasma weapons.

No, from what I heard is that like with the infiltrator mini DLC there is an option on the menu to directly start with this DLC once you have downloaded it.
That's correct!

Was there always an "Extreme" difficulty setting? I think I have to go with that one since I remember the game being easy. But I can't remember if I played the main campaign on Hard or Extreme.

Ok so I should probably just complete New Reno and carry on with Fallout 2 but the release of Robocop: Rogue City made me excited to finally complete the Annihilation Line. I want to be completely done with Terminator Resistance before trying Robocop.

I've put some hours in here and there during the last week and played the DLC from start to finish. The gameplay is the same as the base game, no surprise there. So it has the same strengths and weaknesses. I like the gameplay most when you are low levelled, have bad equipment and have to hide in fear of the roaming terminator squads. The scripted sections where you fight together with the squad are the weakest and as in the latest Call of Duty game that I played you have to do all the killing yourself, your squad members don't inflict almost any damage.

The story was compelling enough with a good amount of fan service and some of it was actually pretty cool. The story managed to be more gripping than I initially thought and the end scene was a bit emotional actually.

Anyway it was a very nice DLC and I can now proceed with Robocop. Even though I should probably just force myself to pick up Fallout 2 again.

Last edited:
Still need to get this game myself. Also just wishlisted the Robocop game they released very recently, which seems to be getting very positive attention.

Between this game and the Robocop game, it's pretty inspiring seeing a company that is responsible for that terrible Rambo videogame in 2014 managing to make two games that have clear respect and love for the franchises they are based on.

I also missed games like these, not full price but still based on very popular franchises. Seems like nowadays every major release on big franchises needs to be some bloated mess with far too much of a budget on top of being overpriced to shit. We need more games like these, these more middle of the road releases that are still very worthwhile to play.

Yeah, Terminator and Robocop are both on my list. I recently built a new PC, too, so performance shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I've put some hours in here and there during the last week and played the DLC from start to finish. The gameplay is the same as the base game, no surprise there. So it has the same strengths and weaknesses. I like the gameplay most when you are low levelled, have bad equipment and have to hide in fear of the roaming terminator squads. The scripted sections where you fight together with the squad are the weakest and as in the latest Call of Duty game that I played you have to do all the killing yourself, your squad members don't inflict almost any damage.

I had not actually thought much about it during the scripted scenes but you are indeed right, the AI companions are often not that very useful during these running and assault segments other than keep yelling how we need to push the enemy back etc. Also, am I wrong in thinking that for some reason the enemy AI seems to focus on the player during these battles? The more open sections are more enjoyable in comparison.

I don't really have an opinion on playing an authentic experience of having to hide from the Skynet machines in general or take them full on Rambo style. Fittingly enough the last will get you quickly killed so even with a lot of skills fully upgraded such as health you are still punished when you are too cocky. It actually makes me think that there should also have been armor in T:R. Often though it is more fun sneaking around and doing stuff like reprogramming turrets.

I think some of the levels of Annihilation Line might have been more 'tight' than those of the main game sometimes, the level designers really having taken some lessons from the first game experience. I found it especially neat that we finally got to explore more Skynet installations and bases, giving us an idea what the future of Earth would look like when Skynet would colonize the planet after humanity has been eliminated. I rather missed that in the original game as I thought we would get to explore the Skynet pyramid.

The story was compelling enough with a good amount of fan service and some of it was actually pretty cool. The story managed to be more gripping than I initially thought and the end scene was a bit emotional actually.

Anyway it was a very nice DLC and I can now proceed with Robocop. Even though I should probably just force myself to pick up Fallout 2 again.

The storyline was okay for me and it did surprise me that it was not the plot I expected it to be; the assault on the Skynet core which I would still like to play. I just found it a bit ridiculous that Rivers once more played such a central role on it with characters Ferro and even Reese elevating his relationship with his fatehr to such importance when they really have not such a big connection with Rivers. But its nice that these people were not portrayed as emotionless killing machines though their writing could probably be a bit better.

I don't think it was a bad idea to quickly play Terminator Resistance between your Fallout 2 sessions. The game is a lot shorter than Fallout 2 if you play it straight and intend to carry out all quests and maybe even do some grinding to improve your character for the later parts of the game. Having something you can play fast makes a nice break.

I do recommend not immediately jumping onto Robocop myself after finishing Terminator Resistance and Annihilation Line. It may become too repetitive for you. I had that myself when I had bought Annihilation Line. Previously I had been playing Resistance on a computer that could not really handle it so the game suffered from a lot of slowdown. When I got my new PC and Annihilation Line came out I quickly went through vanilla Terminator Resistance again so that I quickly could jump into Annihilation Line. As I had upgraded my character so much during the basic game, having to go back to play it slow and carefully, especially as I now also had to choose which non combat skills to improve again it felt like the DLC sometimes dragged. But having all these upgraded skills imported from the main campaign would probably also have made the DLC rather easy from the start

Robocop Rogue City is not a complete similar experience to Terminator Resistance as there are some gameplay differences such as inventory and how many weapons you can carry (not being able to carry a massive arsenal is not a problem as the Robocop gun can be upgraded to make it more effective over the campaign), but there are also similarities like the action scripted levels and these more quieter open levels in which the player is in Detroit and must carry out a main quest that leads to the next action level and do some side quests, in Rogue City's case routine police work but also some crime investigation. The main issue I had with the more open level is that it is always the same part of Downtown Detroit, I wish we also got to visit other parts of Detroit.
Think a sort of stripped down version of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided but without all the alternative routes and that many extra things to discover.

If there had not been some time between Terminator Resistance, Annihilation Line and Rogue City I would probably feel that the experience was too similar such as the relative scripted levels and open levels (minus that there aren't loads of things in the streets that seek to kill you unlike Terminator, hub areas, side quests, the relatively non interactive world. While I like the references to the movies such as the player sometimes coming across things advertised in the ads of Robocop 1 and 2 such as Nukem as does are fun, it does feel that designers did not add that much of their own, rather seeking to reuse what they could from the first two movies.1 It doesn't mean I think it is a bad game as I think die hard fans of the first movie and who liked the second movie will enjoy seeing this, I just think you should not play these three games in a row.

Still need to get this game myself. Also just wishlisted the Robocop game they released very recently, which seems to be getting very positive attention.

Between this game and the Robocop game, it's pretty inspiring seeing a company that is responsible for that terrible Rambo videogame in 2014 managing to make two games that have clear respect and love for the franchises they are based on.

I also missed games like these, not full price but still based on very popular franchises. Seems like nowadays every major release on big franchises needs to be some bloated mess with far too much of a budget on top of being overpriced to shit. We need more games like these, these more middle of the road releases that are still very worthwhile to play.

Some of the feedback is definitely from people looking through nostalgia glasses which I can fully understand as I enjoy nostalgia too. It also great to play a Robocop game that tells its own story rather than using the plot of one of the movies though it banks a lot on Robocop 1 and 2 references, or using any storyline of the comics (though there are some enjoyable Robocop comics), playing like a sort of lost chapter between Robocop 2 and 3 just like Terminator Resistance was sort of a prequel to The Terminator. But I would not say it is as good or deep as the original movie and some of the gameplay in this game you will definitely have seen before and perhaps somewhat better in non movie license IPs. You should definitely play it because you would like to walk through a relatively well done recreation of the Robocop setting.
As Robocop based IPs go it is much better than previous releases but that is not a major effort as most of them are from the 90s and are movie licensed platform games. The only games that come close to Rogue City are the old Robocop 3 game by DID for Amiga, Atari ST, and PC, and the Robocop game Titus did for Xbox and PC which was a last generation FPS on current hardware. As a game on its own its adequate/competent but it could definitely could have used some polishing and some more variety such as more 'open' levels and driving sections to break up the regular gameplay.

It is indeed cool to see a smaller studio making movie license games that appeal to the fans of the original or older movies and recreate the atmosphere of these relatively well rather than trying to tie in to the reboots/remakes or later sequels as these movies helped establish these IPs and are often still better than later incarnations. And it is impressive how Teyon learned from its mistakes with their first game and set to improve on these but its team still has a long way to go when it comes to design. The spark and the love is there which is lacking in a lot of bigger studios these days.

I would not say that these games are that much cheaper than the triple A releases. Terminator Resistance in my country was 10 Euros cheaper than a regular game which price since T:E's release has been raised to 59,95 for some releases now. Robocop Rogue City is now being sold for 49,95 which is still the standard price for most 'big' games. I think based on what both offered that 30 Euros as new/recently released would have been more than fair.
I do agree that not all games need major budgets and need to be increasingly tech specs heavy, especially not movie tie in games as these tend to be content wise often disappointing, and that there should also be game projects 'between' triple A releases that bank on selling millions of copies, and indy games that try to be Megadrive or SNES releases, early 90s DOS games, or these artsy experiments. This is project tier that is wrongfully ignored by bigger publisher management these days.

Back