Terminator: Resistance - Now with Annihilation Line DLC

Agree! Good post!

I replayed Infiltrator-mode again and then watched some gameplay of Robocop: Rogue City and what I saw was very similar in style.

The infiltrator can breach open doors and then fight in slow motion for a short while and I saw that exact same gameplay in the Robocop game as well.

The infiltrator can grab people and throw them just as Robocop.

You can sometimes breach walls.

I think I recognized some more.

Upgrading the plasma weapons with chips in T:R is very similar to how the upgrade system of the auto9 works even though the feature is more complex in the later game.

It's a good approach to build on the gameplay of earlier games and when necessary improve it so the similarities are expected.

e: I will have to replay T:R at some point to get that final missing achievement of opening the strange door in Pasadena. I won't Google it and will use my wits to figure it out.

I had actually not thought about that, that Robocop Rogue City plays a lot like the Infiltrator expansion in Terminator Resistance. There are so many similarities between the two, maybe it served as a sort of prototype for Rogue City.

It's a good approach to build on the gameplay of earlier games and when necessary improve it so the similarities are expected.

Yeah but I do think that for any next project Teyon may do based on a movie IP that they do need to innovate their designs somewhat. And if budget allows, expand more on the content of the game such as with the free roaming levels. I really think Rogue City could have done with the player going to different parts of the city to do regular police work and side quest investigation mission rather than the same part of Downtown Detroit.

Finally bought this after literally years of saying i was gonna get it and so far it's solid. It's clear that they copied a bunch of stuff from Fallout 4, even down to the lockpicking minigame (which was in Skyrim), but it doesn't have that game's pretension of being more than it is and it's all the better for it.

Voice acting is pretty good so far, no horrendous perfomances that i have heard yet. Kind of janky animations and the graphics aren't all that great, but they do the job competently enough to not be distracting and off-putting.

Overall reminds of those mainstream budget titles that we would get in-between the big budget titles, but nowadays every damn game has to be a big blockbuster. So it's actually kind of refreshing that they made it like those budget titles of old.

Playing on Hard and the machines hurt quite a bit, and i still haven't gotten to the actual Terminators yet.

Playing on Hard and the machines hurt quite a bit
You will be grateful that you play on hard later on. It's difficult in the beginning but since the game becomes so easy a later on it's worth it to at least get some challenge. However the main flaw, ironically, is that the AI isn't particularly smart.

I don't expect basic robots that were built for one single thing to be all that smart. It's not like Skynet gave the basic Terminator that much intelligence, that comes with the later versions.

Got to the Terminators, and holy shit they are hyper accurate and hurt like hell on Hard. Quite tanky too, which i don't mind because i expect Terminator to not die in two hits. I do like the fact that you can knock them on their ass if you shoot too many times in their heads.

So far this game is a far better future war movie than Salvation.

Last edited:
Need to unlock the perk to craft those because they are really useful. Jusy fighting like three or four terminators is rough on hard, killing them silently in one hit is really nice.

13 hours in and i think i like this game.

Maybe after finishing this game and its DLC, you could also check out Robocop Rogue City as in many ways it is very similar.

Overall reminds of those mainstream budget titles that we would get in-between the big budget titles, but nowadays every damn game has to be a big blockbuster. So it's actually kind of refreshing that they made it like those budget titles of old.

I know what you mean, there used to be a lot of AA games between the main big blockbuster titles. These were often more average but would make good fill in games while you were waiting for tjhe big title(s) that would usually be released near the end of year.
I remember it a lot from my own console playing days when I played games on the SNES or Sega 16 bit. During winter we had the major games while during the year we had more... well I weant to say standard but the big releases also usually were somewhat standard but maube looking better or have more advertisement surroundingt. The spring and summer releases were usually the games that were more unknown.

Now every title needs to compete with the latest big budget open world game. If it doesn't then the title might as well have been a waste of development time and resources because a lot of gamers won't buy the title sufficiently to make up for the expenses.

I find that a disappointing mind set as it means we have a lot less originality because publisher don't want to risk a smaller budget games that does something new or appeals to a niche audience that isn't into the major titles or also likes such games next to the major releases.

I haven't seen any attempt for example to make anything more Half Life like as such linear shooters seem to have become less popular

I haven't seen any attempt for example to make anything more Half Life like as such linear shooters seem to have become less popular
Maybe that becomes the next thing when people have grown tired of all the "boomer shooters" that are coming out.

Robocop Rogue City
Bought that too in the last Steam sale. I didn't get the Terminator DLC, but i might get it down the line.

Finished the main campaign at 19 hours, it's overall a really solid game. Clearly made under noticeable budgetary restraints (graphics and animations aren't all that good) and most likely time to coincide with Terminator Dark Fate (yet another sequel after 2 that sucked obviously). If i had to give an arbritrary score to the game, maybe like a 7 out 10, because it's clear that the devs gave an actual shit about the franchise, and didn't saw it as just yet another attempt to do T2 again but far worse. They told their story within the canon of the franchise while not attempting to rewrite shit that was established in the first two movies. I also liked all the references to the first two movies, those were fun to discover.

Looking at the reviews from major gaming outlets, they were way too harsh. I know it's best to just ignore them because a lot of the time they are either over-praising something or needlessly trashing something, but here i feel they were too harsh on the game. Yeah, it doesn't really do anything new since it just takes stuff from Fallout and Far Cry, but the final product was clearly made with all the care they could give it. It's kind of annoying how some people expect every single new game to innovate in some way. I feel that before you even consider innovating, you have to think about making a cohesive, well put together product that is satisfying from beginning to the end first, i think that's what matter most. Then maybe you can consider innovating in some way, as long as that innovation is in line with the design of the game.

Speaking of innovation and I mentioned Fallout above, I'll add the sheer hilarity of IGN giving the game a 4 out 10 because it doesn't innovate in any way, but gave Fallout 4 a fucking 9.5 out 10, when that game literally does nothing new. It's as stale, as basic, and as souless as they come when it comes to extremely safe games that don't try to push out of their comfort zone. It's just Skyrim in the Fallout franchise. And honestly, i'd rather play Terminator Resistance over Fallout 4 any time of the day, no questions asked.

It's really staggering just the sheer quality difference between that awful Rambo game they made in 2014 and this one. Both games from franchises that are synomyms with the 80s action genre, but the sheer quality gap is insane. Makes me question when they were developing the Rambo game they either didn't give shit, or didn't had the budget and time, or both really. Still, glad that they are now making solid games out of 80s action franchises, and it seems their reputation has overall improved a lot in recent times.

Back