The Alien movies.

Starwars

Mildly Dipped
Been rewatching a lot of my old DVDs, and I'm currently going through the Alien films. Struck me how much I really enjoy them all in all.

Do you like them, which one is your favourite, which one sucks etc??

Alien is still my fav of the bunch. Great pacing, beautiful to look at and has some scenes that I still find scary today. The Facehugger design is still terrifying and I think the Chestburster scene still works great (though it looks kinda funny when he runs away over the table). The whole scene with Ash attacking Ripley is scary stuff.

Aliens is a nice film as well, but I for one am not as much an action fan as I am a horror fan so I never liked this one quite as much. Still, it's a good film definetely.

Alien 3 I like quite a bit, especially the "Special Edition" that was made available on the big Box set. Like how it's more in the vein of the first film, more classic horror. Though unfortunately, I just don't find it to be as scary.

Alien 4 is my least favourite, but I have to say that I still enjoy it. Still, the whole cloning bit is a bit of a groaner, and for the series as a whole, I wish they had stopped after Alien 3.

I like Aliens the most, followed by Alien.
Alien 3 is okay.. but the plot is stupid as hell. The only way it fits in my mind is to regard it as Ripley's dream while in stasis or something like that.

Alien: Resurrection is worthless drivel.

n is by far the best one, but beeing more an action fan I like Aliens more, Alien 3 is also a damned good movie.

Vault 69er said:
Alien: Resurrection is worthless drivel.

aye :salute:

Aliens ( the creepiest if you ask me ), then Alien 3 ( Fincher ), then Alien ( beginning of the saga, teh cool, but it is getting a little bit old ), then Alien the resurrection ( which is pointless and sucks ).

I will not share with y'all my opinion about that piece of shit that is AvP though...

Alien was my favorite, mystery behind the monster. Aliens was awesome as well. Alien 3 I don't remember much. And Resurrection didn't see all the way through.

AvP I wouldn't even consider it to be part of either story, it was a god aweful piece of garbage.

Alien 4 was really strong in the series, Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a great director. He did Amelie, City of Lost Children and Delicatessen. It was like having Terry Gilliam direct. The scene with all the very creepy looking Alien clone Ripleys was awesome.

I'm really torn between Alien and Aliens... but Aliens edges out just a hair solely for the fact that I had seen it first (though that doesn't make it my favorite... they both are). Alien 3 was so-so, I've seen a lot worse, but I've also seen a lot better. A:R sucked horribly.

Admittedly, I've never seen AvP... but one day I plan on it... when it comes out on TV.

Alien is the best hands-down, intelligent science-fiction, masterful suspense, expertly done all around.

While Aliens is still quite good, it is disappointing to see how many people claim it is better, no accounting for taste. Yet, the Space Marines are enjoyable, but the movie lacks the tight and adroit control of Ridley Scott.

Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection share the same damp pit.

Aliens is the best one, and one of my favorite movies of all times, followed by Alien. 3 and 4 are both awesome in their own way. Plus, 4 had Ron Perlman so FTW.

The first 2 are the only ones I ever liked. After that I regard them all as Ripley's dreams (3 and Resurrection) or nonexistent (AvP and the upcoming AvP2).

Alien is the only one I can sit all the way through in multiple viewings. The Director's Cut for Aliens is amazing, but today I only watch for certain classic scenes. Hudson's "game over man! game over!", the sentry guns running out of ammo shooting hundreds of aliens, when Sarge is grabbed by an alien and Ripley crashes the APC, the insanely realistic looking pre-CG Queen alien fight scene, etc. Alien, on the other hand, is mostly one long creepy experience with fewer notable scenes and characters. But it does it in a classier way. And I think that comes across when you compare all of Ridley Scott's and James Cameron's movies.

After growing up and having watched them countless times, I'd have to go with Alien. But on my first viewings as a kid I loved Aliens way more.

I actually liked them all. I thought each added something to the story, and each approached the saga differently. I even like Alien4.

I also like Aliens the most. Can't get any better than marines getting owned :)

Also some memorable lines in there, this one is my favorite:

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Vasquez: No. Have you?

pdw_hu said:
I also like Aliens the most. Can't get any better than marines getting owned :)

Also some memorable lines in there, this one is my favorite:

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Vasquez: No. Have you?

Though James Cameron freely admits he based them on Vietnam conscripts.
Any real Marines would eat them for dinner. :)

Alien. Best horror film.
Aliens. Best action film.
Alien3. The special effects aren't very good which is unfortunate because otherwise it rules.
Alien 4. Okay sci-fi, nothing more.

It's simple, really:

Alien > Aliens > Alien 3 > Alien 4

"Sequels are always worse than the original."

I would say Aliens is the best and most enjoyable, but Alien3 is my favorite. I just love the atmosphere, the dog-alien, the colors, the music, and there are just some scenes that are very memorable. Remember the birth scene? The cremation, Dillon's speech, Ripley's tears and bleeding nose, all juxtaposed with the Alien ripping through the dog's chest. Just beautiful.

Anyway the plot was bad because there were way too many important scenes cut. The special edition which Starwars mentioned is good but again, there are some scenes that should be replaced or removed from that one. I think I could cut together a hybrid version of the two to design the perfect Alien3.

If you knew the history behind the production of Alien 3 you'd wanna cry. There's many parallels with Fallout's treatment.

The original script: http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/alien3_gibson.txt

Fox suits forced so many changes during production. Entire sets were scrapped and rebuilt. Originally Hicks and Newt survive with Ripley ending in a coma. They were in cold sleep for only a few years instead of decades, keeping the Aliens universe pretty much the same technologically. Michael Beihn had no idea his character would be killed off and was openly pissed at the premiere. At one point the movie took place on earth, and then on a "timber" planet. David Fincher, the director, will not discuss the film because of how awful the experience was working for Fox.

Back