The Guns and Ammo Thread

It's the 226R Tactical in 9mm. Has a factory threaded barrel in lefty metric. It's the usual host for my Evo-9 silencer.

Although I do have to admit a bias for the Classic American 1911, I am partial to the Germans as well.
usppairb.jpg

Not so much the Austrians, though.

fallout ranger said:
Germans *are* the masters of all things gun-related

I'd have to give that honor to John Moses Browning, greatest firearms designer in all history. :mrgreen:

Now, the Germans were early innovators and masters of the submachine gun, and made a hell of an LMG as well. I've had a fair amount of trigger time on the MP5 and MP5SD, and both are fantastic.

However, even there, my all time favorite SMG is the Swedish K. Fairly simple and not much to look at, but it is the sweetest and most controllable sub I've ever shot in full auto.

fallout ranger said:
Germans *are* the masters of all things gun-related
belgians all the way dude! ;)

you keep forgetting with whom John Moses Browning decided to side when the chips were down! :twisted:

Nagant's work (Mosin-Nagant, Nagant 1895 revolver,...), Saive's work (worked on many of the early Browning pistols, the Browning/FN GP/HP, the SAFN49, FN MAG, the FN FAL,...), modern FN work (FNC, FN Minimi, FN P90, FN F2000, FN SCAR,...)

not to mention people totally tend to forget that FN, Browning and Winchester are all in belgian hands. ;)

hell, all the hype about stuff like the HK416? well, the FNC already did that ages ago too, ye know. just a tad less tacticooled.

He only went to Belgium to make his wussy-caliber gun.:)

Actually, I have a High Power that I like very much. Also, the FN re-badged versions of the Winchester 1300 and Super X2 - the FN PSS and SLP.

I've shot the HK416 quite a bit in the last several months. To me, it's just another piston-driven solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. My personal opinion is that op rods and pistons belong in AKs, Fals, and the like.

Then again, my high speed low drag days are long behind me, and they were never all that high speed to begin with.

JohnnyEgo said:
He only went to Belgium to make his wussy-caliber gun.:)
yeah, that's probably why most worthwhile updates to the M2 .50cal originate from Belgium, amiright? ;)

JohnnyEgo said:
Also, the FN re-badged versions of the Winchester 1300 and Super X2 - the FN PSS and SLP.
yeah, they trade technology and designs amongst FN-H, FN-USA, Browning and Winchester. the FN holding owns them all, so why not?

makes for slightly different versions of the same guns, and sometimes slightly different quality. so everyone should be happy really.

you wont find a gun like that around these parts...

more of an US thing, i suppose.

Its a penis enlarger! :P

I don't know, I like the idea of having a legal shotgun thats only 6 inches long. :D

JohnnyEgo said:
It's a custom build, like many ARs, in the sense that it's made of dozens of different components from dozens of manufacturers. I detailed it's construction on my website under VIS2 SBR if you want specifics.

In general, it's a registered short barrel rifle in 5.56. It has a Vltor VIS 2 integrated upper receiver and forearm, a Vltor Club foot stock, some PRI sights, and a Noveske brake.

Nice toys.

So what's your story johnny? You own a gunshop?

DammitBoy said:
Nice toys.

So what's your story johnny? You own a gunshop?

Nothing so exciting, although I wouldn't mind owning one in retirement.

I did a little service time and worked for the .gov for a few years when I was a bit younger. Never had much interest in guns at the time, other then making sure I didn't shoot myself with what was issued to me.

When I returned to the civilian world, I was grossly unqualified to do most things, so I went to college for a degree in engineering. During that time, I worked a lot of low-end wage slave jobs, including armed security and working part time in a gun store.

When I graduated from college, I was lucky enough to find a job I enjoyed that paid fairly well, which allowed me the freedom to get into the firearm hobby quite a bit more. I also discovered I enjoyed the competitive aspect of the hobby a bit. I just started accumulating guns and equipment one piece at a time, learning what worked for me and what didn't, until I built up a decent collection in the process.

I'm a fairly unremarkable middle class guy from a middle class family with no history of hunting or firearms use outside of five generations of military service. So it came as somewhat of a surprise to find myself smack in the middle of the gun culture by the time I was 30. Even more surprising is the fact that there are a lot of other folks just like me who are in it.

Anyways, enough talk. Here is my latest build, in .22 LR:

ar22c.jpg

Ah-Teen said:
Anyone one know anything about that .45/410 pistol Tuarus makes.

I found the website
http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=41
But thats not going to tell me much about how it is to shoot.

I've played with a bit, and was generally unimpressed. I like revolvers, and own a couple myself. I do admit to a bias towards S&W, although I don't think there is anything generally wrong with Taurus or Ruger.

The interesting thing about this particular Taurus is that US gun laws preclude the manufacture of a smooth-bore handgun, so Taurus added some light rifling partially down the business end of the barrel to comply with the law. The problem with shooting shot out of a rifled barrel is that it tears up the rifling. So what you have in the Taurus is a compromise of poor rifling for any accuracy with the .45 LC, getting beaten around a bit by .410 shot.

As far as shooting comfort goes, it is big and heavy, so recoil isn't very bad. Personally, I'd rather shoot shot out of a shotgun and bullets out of a handgun or rifle.

JohnnyEgo said:
Nothing so exciting, although I wouldn't mind owning one in retirement.

I did a little service time and worked for the .gov for a few years when I was a bit younger. Never had much interest in guns at the time, other then making sure I didn't shoot myself with what was issued to me.

When I returned to the civilian world, I was grossly unqualified to do most things, so I went to college for a degree in engineering. During that time, I worked a lot of low-end wage slave jobs, including armed security and working part time in a gun store.

When I graduated from college, I was lucky enough to find a job I enjoyed that paid fairly well, which allowed me the freedom to get into the firearm hobby quite a bit more. I also discovered I enjoyed the competitive aspect of the hobby a bit. I just started accumulating guns and equipment one piece at a time, learning what worked for me and what didn't, until I built up a decent collection in the process.

I'm a fairly unremarkable middle class guy from a middle class family with no history of hunting or firearms use outside of five generations of military service. So it came as somewhat of a surprise to find myself smack in the middle of the gun culture by the time I was 30. Even more surprising is the fact that there are a lot of other folks just like me who are in it.

Interesting - I came to it through hunting and NRA rifle competitions as a young kid.

So, you just into evil black guns or do you have anything with wooden furniture on it?

You shoot competitions - what kind?

---

ps - You'll have to excuse the surly children and their many rules...

I recently got a Bastogne Walnut stock for my Mauser (sporter) in Grade A fancy with this style. And I sported for a 45° ebonytip & cap. I love the grain on that thing, now I believe the Mauser is complete. I'll need to get some pics up someday.

Back