The Guns and Ammo Thread

Oregon, right above ya. The gun laws here seem pretty lax. I was surprised I was able to get it right there the same day I purchased it, I was expecting there to be some sort of long ass background check process or something.

Is it true dry firing is really bad for the gun? OOPS, I dry fired 3 times already, any chance for damage to the pin?

It can be bad, but not as bad as people say. But it is good to avoid it . Just use a spent case or buy snap caps (not sure if they have them in .22).

There are quite a few guns out there that it won't hurt anything and even if it isn't one of those guns the world wont end and the dry firing police wont drag your ass out the door. BUT it will damage it eventually. Just a rule of thumb avoid dry firing.

...especially with Ruger semi-autos.

Any gun can get hurt with too much dry-firing, though. I broke a revolver's firing pin (or maybe just the spring) like that.

Mighta been a fluke, though.

Seeks said:
Any gun can get hurt with too much dry-firing, though.
not really. some are specifically designed to withstand it (usually those are military weapons meant for low trained conscripts).

though it is true that the vast majority can be hurt by dryfiring and some weapons should specifically NOT EVER BE DRYFIRED! (the CZ52 jumps to mind)

SuAside said:
... dryfiring...
For us total gun noobs, in terms of RL handling of one (meaning me), what exactly is dry firing and how do you "wet fire?"

Yes, I know that "wet fire" is probably not a real term.

Dry firing is "firing" the gun without a round in the chamber/cylinder. I suppose you could still have a loaded magazine while you do it, but it's... uh.. not a great idea, I'd wager.

SuAside said:
Seeks said:
Any gun can get hurt with too much dry-firing, though.
not really. some are specifically designed to withstand it (usually those are military weapons meant for low trained conscripts).

though it is true that the vast majority can be hurt by dryfiring and some weapons should specifically NOT EVER BE DRYFIRED! (the CZ52 jumps to mind)
For shotguns we have shots that are designed to be used for dryfiring . Called "klick patron" Back home in Norway. Basically used for training drawing the gun and pulling the trigger in a smoth fashion without destroying the gun.

Edit found some photos:
regular_klikkpatroner.jpg

I have never heard of it for rifles or handguns though.

I personally stick to battle rifles.. I love the feel of a bolt action weapon firing -real- ammo :]

Yugo M-48 (a Kar98 clone). probably my youngest rifle, it's only 60 years old.

Enfield No1 Mk3*.. stamped 1927, india manu.

Mosin-Nagant M44.. my most recently bought one.. I haven't played with it much.. but it's nice to have a 54R that isn't as long as I am tall..

Mosin-Nagant 91 Dragoon.. receiver is stamped 1894... it's impressive to think of the history attached to it.. alittle dismaying to think of all the people that it might have killed, or owners that might have been killed.. of course it could have just been in an attic for the last hundred years too..)

there is no such thing as wetfiring, except if you submerge it in water, but that's not a good idea for most weapons :twisted:

Loxley said:
I have never heard of it for rifles or handguns though.
it's called a snapcap. it usually doesnt have that fancy spring thing of yours, but it has plastic instead of a primer. it doesn't really get damaged much unless you abuse it, so you can keep using it for quite a while.

first google hit: http://www.pistoleer.com/azoom/

UncleDrax said:
now you've gone & done it... my favorite old war rifle (the right version too)...

you're going to have to post some pics of it or i'm going to loby for your removal from this forum on grounds of not appeasing the SuA-monster.

SuAside said:
UncleDrax said:
now you've gone & done it... my favorite old war rifle (the right version too)...

you're going to have to post some pics of it or i'm going to loby for your removal from this forum on grounds of not appeasing the SuA-monster.

It's hardly a collectors piece.. it's mismatched and in rough-looking shape.. but it still cycles wonderfully and is great fun to fire...

To boot, my camera is on loan for an extended period.. but I needa borrow a camera anyhow, so I'll see what I can do.

UncleDrax said:
It's hardly a collectors piece.. it's mismatched and in rough-looking shape.. but it still cycles wonderfully and is great fun to fire...
regardless, they're just so friggin' classic they can take a beating and still look awesome.

as for the action, yup, a Smelly (SMLE) has the smoothest action i've ever shot. (if it doesnt, there's something wrong with it)
UncleDrax said:
To boot, my camera is on loan for an extended period.. but I needa borrow a camera anyhow, so I'll see what I can do.
you'd better!

SuAside said:
there is no such thing as wetfiring, except if you submerge it in water, but that's not a good idea for most weapons :twisted:
Glocks are supposed to be able to shoot underwater. :P

UncleDrax said:

Mismatched and in rough shape is my favorite way! Really, If I could get away with rust on the outside of the gun I'd do it... however I'm not going to take the chance.

Kyuu said:

Go ahead and try it! But don't blame me if your hand gets blown off because water is more dense than air.... Likely is this rumor came from dunking the gun for a while, letting the barrel empty and shooting it.

I present the APS! There are also a couple pistols... the American one has a very retarded design for it's ammunition storage.

aps.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as69-e.htm

Kyuu said:
SuAside said:
not really. you need to swap a few parts to make it shoot reliably under water.

most (if not all) guns can fire underwater, you know, but an (semi-)automatic will not rechamber the round reliably.

Ah-Teen said:
Go ahead and try it! But don't blame me if your hand gets blown off because water is more dense than air.... Likely is this rumor came from dunking the gun for a while, letting the barrel empty and shooting it.
the chance of it going kaboom with the right partskit is rather small.

but firing a handgun under water is moronic anyway, it'll only go a meter or so before the power is so small it no longer poses a threat.

SuAside said:
but firing a handgun under water is moronic anyway, it'll only go a meter or so before the power is so small it no longer poses a threat.
Psh! The point is that it's cool, and obviously means Glocks are teh uber gunz!
I present the APS!
Weird... were the Russians having all these pitched, underwater gun battles going on I never knew about?

Drag coefficients of most bullets are too high to retain much energy/speed underwater, which is why a spear, with a high cross-sectional density, and a long slender shape, will go farther and faster.

Back