The Guns and Ammo Thread

Honestly, if it was me putting one together for CQB, I'd go with a 12.5" barrel and either the latest flavor of Vltor's clubfoot stock or the Magpul UBR. Probably the Magpul for the consistent cheek weld. At that barrel length, twist rate wouldn't even be a concern. I'd go with a 1:10 poly bore like Noveske's, assuming I could find one. Daniel Defense makes a nice rail for the AR10, so I'd probably go with that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the stock barrel cut and re-threaded, and might save you some cash if that's the route you want to go.

Why 12.5" on barrel length?

As for rails, I kinda like the Bushy pistol system with minimal rails - I don't like tacking a bunch of shit on the end of my weapons.

Couple of reasons:

If I am going to go short, I might as well go as short as practical, because I live in states that are NFA friendly. 12.5" works very good on both .308 and 5.56 AR style weapons. It gives an extra inch of barrel length in front of the gas port, which increases dwell time and softens recoil impulse, making the gun shoot smoother and more reliably than 11.5" or 10.5".

In addition, since I am probably likely to want to run it suppressed from time to time, a 12.5" barrel with a .308 can is going to be roughly the same over-all length as a 16" barrel.

Since my intent with a CQB gun would be targets under 100 yards, I'd go with as short a barrel as I trusted to operate reliably.

JP Enterprises makes a smooth modular forearm for the DPMS AR10 Pattern. You can put rails where you want them, if you want them. Personally, I just like having the options a full length rail provides, but I know a great number of people who feel the same way you do.

JohnnyEgo said:
Couple of reasons:

If I am going to go short, I might as well go as short as practical, because I live in states that are NFA friendly. 12.5" works very good on both .308 and 5.56 AR style weapons. It gives an extra inch of barrel length in front of the gas port, which increases dwell time and softens recoil impulse, making the gun shoot smoother and more reliably than 11.5" or 10.5".

In addition, since I am probably likely to want to run it suppressed from time to time, a 12.5" barrel with a .308 can is going to be roughly the same over-all length as a 16" barrel.

Since my intent with a CQB gun would be targets under 100 yards, I'd go with as short a barrel as I trusted to operate reliably.

JP Enterprises makes a smooth modular forearm for the DPMS AR10 Pattern. You can put rails where you want them, if you want them. Personally, I just like having the options a full length rail provides, but I know a great number of people who feel the same way you do.

Very interesting. Thanks.

ps - wtf am I doing up at this hour?

pps - Oh yeah, I'm heartbroken because I didn't get the winning bid on that DPMS FLRT SASS in time, somebody beat me to it and got it for under $1900. Curse you procrastination!

One of my favorite places to go in my new home is the Pawnee National Grasslands. It's absolutely huge, and it's in my back yard. Recreational shooting is permitted in something like 90% of the park. I usually go to a very isolated portion about an hour into the park along unpaved back roads. I can get out to well over a thousand yards with a natural backstop in almost every direction.

The other day I was out and about finding new isolated places to shoot. Only brought one rifle and my .44 Mag revolver with me for the scouting mission:

pawnee01.jpg

Plus the usual collection of ammo, targets, and light tools:
pawnee02.jpg

This is my custom Noveske switchblock rifle with an ACOG and Ops 12th silencer:
pawnee03.jpg

Still mostly flat and featureless under 4x magnification.
pawnee04.jpg

In the near future, I plan on coming out early and spending a few hours to set up an action course to practice on. Only tedious part is that as a good stewart of public land, I have to disassemble and take everything with me when I go; no overnight set up allowed.
pawnee05.jpg

Well I was out and about recently and decided to get one of these

291ou2r.png

It looked fun, it was new and the price is right. It's going to be fun running some rounds through it to loosen it up.

I_eat_supermutants said:
DammitBoy said:
Which berretta is that?

92FS 25th anniversary. I scooped it up without even realizing it was a collector's edition type gun. 1 of 2010. :shrug:
What can I say? The price was right.

Anything under $650 was a pretty good deal. Did it come with the black grips and the case with two magazines?

DammitBoy said:
I_eat_supermutants said:
DammitBoy said:
Which berretta is that?

92FS 25th anniversary. I scooped it up without even realizing it was a collector's edition type gun. 1 of 2010. :shrug:
What can I say? The price was right.

Anything under $650 was a pretty good deal. Did it come with the black grips and the case with two magazines?

'Bout $632 after taxes, and indeed. Black grips, two clips.

.Pixote. said:
Beautiful place, but what exactly do you shoot out there...grass. It looks perfect for kite flying. :wink:

I have a steel target that is a 3/4 center mass, which I use for the longer distance shots because I can hear it ring when it hits. For the most part, though, I just drive some 1x2's into the ground and staple targets on them. However, as part of the public land use, I have to take everything with me when I leave.

It would be an excellent place for kite flying.

Wintermind said:
Is it just me, or has anyone noticed the tendency for gun owners to also pretty decent to pretty good photographers?

It's all about center of mass!

Johnnyego is a hobbyist photographer I believe, and I have a degree in graphic art - I've been told my photography is fairly good. I'm mostly into painting (on canvas) in that realm.

Some of the pics I've seen on several gunforums would blow your mind - some of these guys do incredible work. I think it's related to their love of form and function with their firearms and they want to capture all the details. Maybe?

Interesting thought to ponder.

edit: This thread needs a gun appreciation video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU[/youtube]

I_eat_supermutants said:
After action report: The Beretta fires like a dream even though it's still so tight. I only ran 50 rounds through but it felt good.

Good to hear it. They are beautiful guns. I just can't shoot them worth a damn.

Those grip stocks are very pretty. You going to leave them on, or swap them?

How is it that the bullets are so broken, have all ready penetrated something? What is this mysterious thing?

Back