The Guns and Ammo Thread

Can any of you gun nuts explain to me why some sniper rifles have this thing at the end of the barrel?

[spoiler:55d1a2620e]
800px-Steyr_HS_.50-frontal-scope.jpg
[/spoiler:55d1a2620e]
I see it on heavy sniper rifles and anti-materiel rifles, so I'm assuming it's something used with bullets that are heavier/faster than normal. My ultimate guess is that it somehow allows air in to reduce... something. No, I have no idea. :P

It's a muzzle break. It directs some of the gases from the muzzle to the back to reduce recoil.

Hassknecht said:
It's a muzzle break. It directs some of the gases from the muzzle to the back to reduce recoil.

Good answer, it also reduces muzzle rise/climb as well as reducing felt recoil.

it also makes everyone standing next to you hate you (and pretty much deaf for a while).

:)

Ah-Teen said:
There is also some evidence that it also helps stabilize the round as it leaves the barrel by directing gas away from the back of the round. But otherwise it helps recoil and the above mentioned quote.

37130.jpg

No freaking joke. It's on mossberg's website.
Well, the same is said for suppressors. In combination with some ammo, it tightens groups, supposedly. I don't know first hand since suppressors are illegal out here.

SuAside said:
it also makes everyone standing next to you hate you (and pretty much deaf for a while).

:)

What?

Ah-Teen said:

I'm gonna call this mall ninja'd shenannigans - a muzzle break needs adequate pressures to actually work, I don't think a .22 muzzle break does anything. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

DexterMorgan said:
Interesting! I had no idea bullpup ARs were made so long ago (1946).

Thornycroft.JPG

Thornycroft (LE based) bolt action bullpup from 1901 designed for cavalry use.

Bullpups have always been around in many forms and with many actions. They just never have caught on especially well until fairly recently, mostly due to ergonomic concerns and bias against new doctrine.

Yeah Sua, I've seen older bullpup designs but I had no idea they were present in ARs since their inception basically.

More pr0n - a Russian beauty:

vss2.jpg

My granddad captured one of these from some German in WW2 and later kept it as his service weapon (he was a lieutenant colonel).

radom7.JPG

Unfortunately somehow my bum in-law uncle got his dirty paws on it and "lost" it.

Need to take an actual picture some time, but for now, this is the very same kind of carbine I have, minus the scope and that extra pad on the end of stock.

Picture259.jpg

Back