The Sino-American War: A Matter of Months Or Years?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by RetroAmerica, Nov 23, 2015.

1. RetroAmerica

RetroAmerica It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 18, 2014
    However, cavalry in the modern period has either taken on a reconnaissance role, or it has basically become armor in all but name. Power Armor, is more like "Mounted Rifles" whereby personnel ride into battle, but then fight as infantry. I'm not sure where the shock tactics are coming in though?

2. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    I could see it, heavily armored warriors hitting your flank would be deadly and a blow to morale.

3. peadar87

peadar87 Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 4, 2015
    Would power armour have the speed and mobility to outflank an enemy formation though?

4. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Dedman oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Power Armor couldn't stand up to tank rounds imo. It isn't used like that.

5. Jubal Quintus

Jubal Quintus Nacho Friend

Mar 2, 2007
    But also it's very hard to hit a man sized target with a tank cannon. Tanks are faster in a drag race, but the power armored trooper would be more agile while also wielding anti-tank weaponry. A tank would be loath to go toe to toe with something like that.

6. KillerBee256

KillerBee256 Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 31, 2008
    In my mind I always figured in the fallout universe Nixon reproached the soviets instead of the Chinese.

7. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    Agreed but if you take into account 155mm rounds like a Howitzer fires, fired from a battery of artillery, you can definitely take down a group of Power Armored troops. Start shooting Fatman nukes out of the things and nothing would survive. :)

The tanks would be engaged in some close combat, but your artillery can lay fire down to stop them from advancing too close. If the Power Armored troops DID get the drop on anybody you can guarantee they would stomp some ass. Why they would bother when they could send in Assaultrons and Sentry *Bots. I will never know.

* I actually typed droids first instead of bots. :grin:

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. RetroAmerica

RetroAmerica It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 18, 2014
    The most likely scenario is that personnel assigned power armor would be employing the "Davy Crockett" and other battlefield nuclear weapons against Chinese Armor.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. Jubal Quintus

Mar 2, 2007

10. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. peadar87

peadar87 Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 4, 2015
    Sentry bots are wheeled though. I know in-game they can roll around up and down stairs, and charge along over rough ground, but IRL they would only really be useful for patrolling or assaulting areas with relatively even ground. Which is where power armour would come in. Capturing critical infrastructure, like power plants, factories, etc. A tank or an airstrike would have to destroy the facility, power-armoured troops could fight room-to-room.

They could also be more discerning and precise than the other methods, minimising civilian casualties, although that's not really a concern for the US in the Fallout Universe.

12. Mohamed2001

Mohamed2001 HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jan 28, 2013
    M60A1 for the US. Maybe even a fictional Abrams, with no composites and sloped armor, as well as a rifled 105.

T-55A for the USSR. Maybe even a T-64/T-72.

Some Chinese knock off T-54 for.. China.

13. Jubal Quintus

Mar 2, 2007
    I have no doubt that depleted uranium would go through power armor as easily as it does modern battle tanks, but we get back to the issue of hitting a moving man-sized target with a cannon. More likely you'd want large caliber crew served weapons with AT or even HEAT rounds (.50cal or 20mm comes to mind). There are plenty of modern weapons and ordnance packages that would logically devastate power armor, I just don't think artillery or battle tanks would be among them. To my mind, this is likely why power armor units were so effective in China. If history has taught us anything it's that new battlefield technology and newly emerging tactics typically overwhelm the enemy during the first war, while the enemy tactics are adjusting to the new tech or combat styles. We see this in WWI when men are rushing, Napoleonic Wars style, against machine gun lines as well as the American Revolution and Vietnam when the traditional armies couldn't adapt to the guerrilla tactics used by enemies.

Again, though, that ground level nuke is a game changer for everything.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  14. Mohamed2001

Jan 28, 2013
    I don't think that PA can protect you from a 100mm D-10T2S [T-55's main gun] HE shell. Remember... it only protects you from 2 500 joules.

15. The-Artist-64

The-Artist-64 "Set Phasers to Fun."

Jul 19, 2015
    Yep, that was the idea I was trying to convey.

16. Jubal Quintus

Mar 2, 2007
    I agree but at the same time a T-55 main cannon is never going to hit a moving man-sized target that is firing back at it with AT weapons and if it does manage to land a shell on one guy the other 43 are going to toast the tank in the process.

17. Mohamed2001

Jan 28, 2013
    Do you need to hit it directly though? HE doesn't need to directly hit the target, and it can spot the PA troops from farther distance than they can shoot the tank, and proceed to hit them with HE shells from afar.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. Jubal Quintus

Mar 2, 2007
    High Explosive vs power armor would likely require a direct hit or a very near miss. HE rounds rely on fragmentation to kill infantry and as we've discussed, fragmentation would be easily negated by powered armor.

19. Mohamed2001

Jan 28, 2013
    Wouldn't the shockwave make easy work of the infantry man, though?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  20. Jubal Quintus

Mar 2, 2007
    Unarmored infantry would suffer from the concussive blast within a small radius, sure. To my mind, though, power armor would negate that completely.