The terrible German language

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Korin, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    @Korin is a Lausbub!

Probably because it would be "Der Mann ist kein Brot". I think it makes more sense to use names. Because you wouldn't say "Der Tomas isst Brot nicht" but rather "Der Thomas isst sein Brot nicht" or "Der Thomas isst das Brot nicht" and "Der Thomas isst kein Brot".

Or so I would think.

But it's good to talk about bread. We Germans have probably as many types of Bread as we do in grammatical ways to express how we eat it. Seriously. Has any nation out there as many different types of bread as we Germans do?

And even that doesn't cover everything.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    The German language is just fine. But Little Boy and Fat Man should have been dropped on Germany instead of Japan. And someone needs to take care of Merkel. I mean, needed to take care of Merkel ages ago.

3. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Then I probably wouldn't be able to make Fallout mods now.

4. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    You don't know that really.

We might as well be living in a future where Godzilla was a giant German lizard.

5. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    With all this Godzilla talk I've decided to google "German anime".
    I have to say that I've found what I expected
    uhzgmz2kv73uvkxut5e5kcmxwhrou73u_hq.jpg
    6e4bb2235ba8f065cb749a03ff9aef18e11865a2v2_hq.jpg

I think I'm alright living in a timeline where Japan was nuked instead of Germany.

6. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    "Der Bär frisst hundertdreiundzwanzig Fische."
    Translation: The bear is eating one hundred, three and twenty fish

Why does this language have me doing math in my numbers? No wonder you're some kind of math genius @Hassknecht

7. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Half-way Through My Half-life

Nov 26, 2007
    My gosh... I had forgotten about that; French is like that too.

I wonder how the rest of the world [languages] are handling this self-identified pronoun nonsense?

8. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    From what I had read it historically had a lot to do with languages that frequently were used in trade and also something about how highly/lowly that particular culture/location/people ranked for "uncertainty avoidance", so English as a language became a lot more ambiguous and a lot "dumber" so you didn't need to memorize so many cases:

9. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    It's just saying the second number first, and since it's consistent it's not that hard to remember.
    Dreiundzwanzig = Twentythree.
    It's not like french, where it's fucking retarded.

10. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dogmeat

Nov 22, 2009
    Got back into improving my German with all the Corona-stuff, I'm not a beginner but not really fluent either. German, and other languages, you kind of get rusty in if you don't practice them. Duolingo is ok, some things like the articles are annoying, I'm sort of trying to focus on the 'fun' stuff like phrases etc.

Tested some other languages as well, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and I presume Icelandic are so similar that just by knowing Swedish I think I could be understood in those other countries. Danish may sound funny to us Finns but it's actually a nice language, Norwegian has some strange differences from Swedish. But for an average foreigner to learn Finnish...good luck. :D