The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Tim Burton really feels like a stagnant director. All this trademark cartoon horror stuff is nice, but it's been done by the man better in the past.

Sub-Human said:
Adele is the only good artist out there, I guess.
I'm pretty sure they've been having the popstar of the day do the theme since the 70s. Only change over the years is what's considered pop

Sub-Human said:
Adele is the only good artist out there, I guess.

Adele yells too much in the microphone.

On the movie side:

Take Shelter (great acting, solid story)

Joelzania said:
Tim Burton really feels like a stagnant director. All this trademark cartoon horror stuff is nice, but it's been done by the man better in the past.
Hmm...I disagree. He's done good stuff and bad stuff throughout his career. The Planet of the Apes remake was bad, but Frankenweenie isn't bad. It's a remake of his first successful short film, so it ought to embody his style.

Lack of Johnny Depp is odd but a plus :P. After seeing a few more trailers of it Frankenweenie does look mighty interesting.

It's just well known that Tim Burton HAS been doing the same thing over and over again for the majority of his film career, and that it's no secret. That was even a major gag for Johnny Depp's cameo in Life's Too Short; him "bragging" about being in a new Tim Burton film, and guess who's the leading lady!!! .....Wait, how did he know??? His style and his picking the same cast over and over again has worked for him, but there is a limit to seeing the same thing for so long. It's not that he did it better, but that we didn't expect that before, whereas now we do.

As for new titles, I just went out and saw Seven Psychopaths, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. For quite possibly longer than I've been alive, my parents have had a tradition of going out to the movies ALMOST EVERY Saturday night, and they saw it this last week, ended up walking out of the theater early, and advising against me seeing it. All they had to say about it was grumbles of disgust, "It's so stupid", and telling me that it was just "bad", not really any solid reasons why. Of course, what I'VE seen intrigued me, and I was aware it was a gratuitous film, so when I saw it, I wasn't immediately turned away by it. I thought it was funny, but not necessarily the BEST of its genre. I much more preferred In Bruges (especially its soundtrack) to this one, but Seven Psychopaths was still a really good watch. I'd easily see it again! =D

SnapSlav said:
It's just well known that Tim Burton HAS been doing the same thing over and over again for the majority of his film career, and that it's no secret.
Well, Sergio Leone and Martin Scorsese and John Hughes and John Ford and lots of others did "the same thing" over and over, and it worked out okay. Personally I don't think Nightmare Before Christmas is the same thing as Edward Scissorhands is the same thing as Sleepy Hollow, but they're stylistically similar.

At least Burton's not doing Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, and Avatar 4.

UniversalWolf said:
SnapSlav said:
It's just well known that Tim Burton HAS been doing the same thing over and over again for the majority of his film career, and that it's no secret.
Well, Sergio Leone and Martin Scorsese and John Hughes and John Ford and lots of others did "the same thing" over and over, and it worked out okay. Personally I don't think Nightmare Before Christmas is the same thing as Edward Scissorhands is the same thing as Sleepy Hollow, but they're stylistically similar.

At least Burton's not doing Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, and Avatar 4.

This. Sure a lot of his movies are stylistically the same, but most are pretty entertaining. Maybe he should start making a crapload of sequels and "re-imaginings".

Edward Scissorhands 2: Final Cut
Sleepy Hollow 2: The Headless Horseman Returns
Coraline's Nightmare Before Christmas with Frankenweenie

TorontRayne said:
Maybe he should start making a crapload of sequels and "re-imaginings".
How about "Nightmare on the Planet of the Apes"? Oh wait, he already made that. :P Nevermind. Sleepy Hollow was awesome, though. I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen more of his flicks.

After countless suggestions from my peers and teachers alike, I've finally decided to set on my epic adventure to watch Lord of the Rings! The thing is 3 and a half hours long, so I'm not sure I'll be able to see it in just one sit.

I remember watching the second film in theaters back in 2002. Since then, I've always wondered what it had done to deserve so many Oscars. A bunch of scenes with thousands of guys fighting each other?

So I watched Amazing Spiderman. It was good I suppose, but I didn't care for the music throughout most of the movie. The love scenes were pretty well done, at times they felt too corny, yet the relationship seemed much more believable overall than in previous movies. The action scenes were probably the best I've seen in awhile. The movie really shined at those moments, however the whole crane scene at the end felt way too forced. Not the best superhero movie out, but certainly not the worst. I'm looking forward to the sequel and anxiously awaiting...

[spoiler:5e18b9a1c8]The death of Gwen Stacy. It's obvious they're leading up to it. I suspect Electro in the sequel as well, but I haven't read up on things yet. Norman Osborn better be cast right, because I want that bridge scene to blow my fucking mind. With Millar consulting on Sony's Marvel Universe, I suspect better quality movies in the near future. [/spoiler:5e18b9a1c8]

Sub-Human said:
Since then, I've always wondered what it had done to deserve so many Oscars.
It made a lot of money.

Those films are really "meh," in my opinion. There are some good moments, but they're matched blow for blow by utterly insipid moments, like Bilbo yelling "Gandalf!" in slow motion at the Moria bridge.

If you want a good sword and sorcery flick, go for Conan the Barbarian or Excalibur instead.

UniversalWolf said:
Those films are really "meh," in my opinion. There are some good moments, but they're matched blow for blow by utterly insipid moments, like Bilbo yelling "Gandalf!" in slow motion at the Moria bridge.

Not just stupid moments. Very boring, too. All the characters are shallow and not memorable. The dialogue? Dull. There's just too many people introduced that Peter didn't have the time to properly develop any of them beyond the basic 'Angry guy, Kind guy' personality.

How do you like the new Judge Dr... err... Robocop?

[spoiler:1fb551f54f]
091712-robocop.jpg

joel_kinnaman_robocop_set_toronto_september_7_2012_17-760x1125_600_888.jpg

PHv4BQAXD5onzv_1_m.jpg

[/spoiler:1fb551f54f]
Ughh.... fuck you too Hollywood.

I saw Five Easy Pieces again over the weekend. It's a very good drama. It strikes me that Jack Nicholson has played a lot of misogynistic characters, or at least characters who despise the women they're attached to: Witches of Eastwick and The Shining both come to mind.

Sub-Human said:
UniversalWolf said:

Not just stupid moments. Very boring, too. All the characters are shallow and not memorable. The dialogue? Dull. There's just too many people introduced that Peter didn't have the time to properly develop any of them beyond the basic 'Angry guy, Kind guy' personality.
I remember the official position of the Tolkien estate being that (to paraphrase) the LotR novels were uniquely unsuitable for being made into movies, and I agree with that. Tolkien was a linguist, after all, and those books are so heavily dependent on language and the written word...it all gets lost in a screenplay. How much of the poetry and music in the books made it into the movies? Zero. Not to mention, there's just too much damn material to cram into three movies. Two movies per book might have had a chance.

Even so, I was willing to applaud the effort, but after seeing those movies I was very disappointed. Everything good about them can be accredited to Tolkien, and everything bad can be accredited to Jackson and company. In fact, they got it wrong from the very first minutes of the very first movie, which starts with Galadriel (why her?) explaining the entire history of The Ring and thereby destroying the dark mystery surrounding it. If you aren't familiar with the story -- and I'm sure many who saw the movies weren't familiar with it -- you're not supposed to know exactly who or what the black riders are and why they want The Ring. From a plot standpoint, the full explanation of The Ring belongs in the middle of the first volume at the Council of Elrond, right where Tolkien put it. The movie would have been better to leave it there.

The most irritating thing, though, is Jackson's style of using slow motion and crappy music as cues to the audience about what emotion they're supposed to be feeling (because otherwise they aren't feeling any emotion).

But enough complaining. I wholeheartedly agree that "boring" is an apt descriptor.

Maybe it's just me but is anyone else tired of this trend in the industry to make every movie dark and gritty? I mean, don't get me wrong some of it is good...for example, I liked the Nolan movies, the Bond reboot and am looking forward to Iron Man 3, Skyfall and Man of steel..

I just wish that, along with the dark gritty stuff, Hollywood would make other kinds of movies also....

Again, I don't have problems with dark and gritty...I just want other kinds of movies to be released as well...and I want them to be as "respected" as the darker stuff

I mean, stuff like Frank Capra used to make...the idealism and faith in humanity...Star Trek and Star Trek:The Next Generation had it also...

I guess the Pixar movies count but maybe if more studios were making these movies and not just cartoon that many unfortunately seem to say are "for kids"...

I hope I am making sense lol...

Once again, I don't have a problem with dark movies...I greatly like many of them...I just want Hollywood to release more idealistic stuff also...

EDIT: The examples I gave were of recent movies because I am talking about recent Hollywood...that's why I didn't mention stuff like The Godfather or whatever...

Dark and gritty? There has always been a divide between violent and more 'friendly' movies. The Hollywood happy ending has a presence as strong as ever.

Back