The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Wintermind said:
CGI can be prety rad, but it's practical effects that are always the best. A properly done mix, that uses CGI to enhance and smooth practical effects comes out the best, usually.

Like LOTR, which looks amazing. And the Hobbit does. . not. 2012=worse 2001=better. . . . :crazy:

Once you become aware of the CGI, it has failed.

After hearing much hype, I finally saw Troll 2 last night. I must say, it lived up to expectations. Among the best in the so-bad-it's-funny category.

Watched Django unchained. It's a good movie Tarantino has a way of making impact. Some parts are a little unsettling for me at least. I was a little disappointed in his soundtrack choice, that one part when they are traveling to the estate is good but the rest is out of place.

I have no reason not to think that some of the events he described didn't happen. Humans are scumbags, brutal scumbags and that will not change in near future.

Keeping the slavery theme, I watched Lincoln. Enjoyed it immensely. The film gives no concession to how ugly politics and war are (as I feared a Spielberg flick would do), the setting is respected, and of course Day-Lewis is as incredible as ever.

The message is something, too. Sometimes it takes corruption to do the right thing.

donperkan said:
Watched Django unchained. It's a good movie Tarantino has a way of making impact. Some parts are a little unsettling for me at least. I was a little disappointed in his soundtrack choice, that one part when they are traveling to the estate is good but the rest is out of place.

I have no reason not to think that some of the events he described didn't happen. Humans are scumbags, brutal scumbags and that will not change in near future.

I just watched it myself. I loved every minute of it. I even looked up the old version to check out some of the references. Jamie Fox should have dragged around a coffin. That would be soooo epic. *snicker*

Ilosar said:
Keeping the slavery theme, I watched Lincoln. Enjoyed it immensely. The film gives no concession to how ugly politics and war are (as I feared a Spielberg flick would do), the setting is respected, and of course Day-Lewis is as incredible as ever.

The message is something, too. Sometimes it takes corruption to do the right thing.

Is it? Frankly the moment I heard it was Spielberg directing it I gave up on it, but if it's an actually well-done historical piece rather than another piece of EAGLELAND NARRATION* then I might watch it.

* I love the US, so I hope it doesn't get interpreted the wrong way, but I can think of few other countries that have such a fierce, history-bending patriotism.

200px-%D0%91%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82_%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80.jpg

Interesting movie!

WorstUsernameEver said:
Ilosar said:

Is it? Frankly the moment I heard it was Spielberg directing it I gave up on it, but if it's an actually well-done historical piece rather than another piece of EAGLELAND NARRATION* then I might watch it.

* I love the US, so I hope it doesn't get interpreted the wrong way, but I can think of few other countries that have such a fierce, history-bending patriotism.

Oh, it's very much an impressively crafted historical piece. Some minor errors here and there (apparently coins with the face of Lincoln existed before his death??) but overall it's not your typical American feel-good flick. Abe is presented as being a fundamentally good guy, but very much willing to use dirty business and corruption to get his amendement passed, and several characters call him out on the war's devastation and his unwillingness to commence serious peace talks. His difficult relashionship with his famility is also not glossed over.

So yeah, The Patriot this ain't. Add to the fact that, in itself, it's a very good movie thanks to the great acting and clever camera works, I most definitely recommend it.

Mjolnir said:
Bpat?

Hey is that fpsrussia?

Just kidding, what's it about?

It's Brat (Brother), 1997 action movie. Ex-military gets involved in some mafia business and starts mowing them down. I'm guessing it's about a hero who stands above money and corruption?

There's also a sequel in 2000, takes place in Chicago... Funny business, lots of killing as well (this time black dudes from the 'hood).

Atomkilla said:
Is that film from 2005 or something?
If it is the one, yeah, then it is interesting.

That's Жмурки (Zhmurki), from the same director. Going to see this one!

Yep, watched Брат, but it was a long time ago. Some scenes are still dwindling in my head.
Not sure if it is worth a rewatch, though.

Also, Jan Švankmajer's Faust.
Blew me away. Very well crafted piece of art, in short.
If you know the original story, you should definitely watch it.

Faust1994poster.jpg

WorstUsernameEver said:
Frankly the moment I heard it was Spielberg directing it I gave up on it...
Me too. No matter how "well done" it is, it's still a movie. It might be a good movie, too, for all I know, but it's a movie nonetheless. If Spielberg was really interested in history he could have done a documentary about Lincoln.

I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind this weekend and really liked it. Very...unusual. Every movie I've ever seen that has an Alexander Pope reference has been good.

I saw Cloud Atlas sometime last week. I must say it's a movie worth seeing. The concept is very original.

"An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution." from imdb

MV5BMTczMTgxMjc4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM5MTA2OA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Last night I watched Sex, Lies, and Videotape, which turned out to be a pretty damn amazing movie. Steven Soderbergh was only 26 when he directed it and supposedly wrote the script in eight days. That's quite an impressive feat.

I first saw "Doomsday" during a screening someone invited me to, no idea how it happened, but I quickly liked it.

I then forgot about it, I think everyone did, untill they showed it on TV yesterday.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMjiCxHLdg[/youtube]
Strong mad-max-y influences, post apocallyptic, trashy punky raiders, but a good "twist" to the whole "zombie-scenario". I really enjoyed the hectic pace of the movie, always punishing you for daring to let your guard down.

Django Unchained was very disappointing for me, I hate the way Tarantino seems to design a film around a soundtrack, now that might not be the case, but still I would have preferred the film had no musical soundtrack. The two main characters were fine, and most of the dialogue was fine as well, but overall Tarantino's films seem like sad clichés, he promises so much, but delivers so little. I wish he tackled his subjects without the cleverness and with more seriousness. :evil:

I am willing to have another look at the film later and make a reappraisal, but I still think Reservoir Dogs was his best film. So that's a 3 turds out of 5 for me.

.Pixote. said:
Django Unchained was very disappointing for me, I hate the way Tarantino seems to design a film around a soundtrack, now that might not be the case, but still I would have preferred the film had no musical soundtrack. The two main characters were fine, and most of the dialogue was fine as well, but overall Tarantino's films seem like sad clichés, he promises so much, but delivers so little. I wish he tackled his subjects without the cleverness and with more seriousness. :evil:

I am willing to have another look at the film later and make a reappraisal, but I still think Reservoir Dogs was his best film. So that's a 3 turds out of 5 for me.

I feel the same way about him. His movies are mostly "fun", but rarely go much beyond "fun". Kill Bill was hours and then continuation, of just.. "fun", anime, funky music, swords, fun dialogue, it's like when the fair comes to town. The fair is "fun".

I tend to consider Pulp Fiction the only movie he actually got right, but I admit I have yet to really give Reservoir Dogs a fair chance. I only saw it ages ago, and for some reason dubbed to a language I didn't know. Italian I think. Yeah, I know, I should give it another chance.

On a related note: I start work on 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' on Monday morning in New Orleans at the old Six Flags amusement park.

This ought to be cool as shit and fun as hell. :mrgreen:

Back