The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Has someone seen this?

I don't hold IMDB scores in high regard, and am more interested in opinions of post-apoc fans. Plus, many Biehn-lovers here, so even better.

So I just saw Man of Steel. Redlettermedia hates it, internet people seem to hate it. . . .

I don't get it. What's the big fucking deal? It's a Zack Snyder movie without any slowmo! At least, I couldn't notice any in the shitty cam I saw. Ahum . . I mean, crowded cinema where I was in the back.

Anyway, Zod was really cool. First time I've seen a villain actually have a reason to have that whole take over the world plan. Poor guy just wanted to restore the world he lost.

Even redlettermedia couldn't come up with any real flaws besides it not being a corny, campy old superman movie. So what's with all the hate?

Akratus said:
So I just saw Man of Steel. Redlettermedia hates it, internet people seem to hate it. . . .

I don't get it. What's the big fucking deal? It's a Zack Snyder movie without any slowmo! At least, I couldn't notice any in the shitty cam I saw. Ahum . . I mean, crowded cinema where I was in the back.

Anyway, Zod was really cool. First time I've seen a villain actually have a reason to have that whole take over the world plan. Poor guy just wanted to restore the world he lost.

Even redlettermedia couldn't come up with any real flaws besides it not being a corny, campy old superman movie. So what's with all the hate?

The costume is too dark, Superman kills someone, Lois Lane is not exactly like in a 60's comic book, the fights scenes are too exagerated (keep in mind we're talking about friggin Superman here), the origin story takes too long.

Those are the complaints I saw the most, and apart from the last one I too find it's all rubbish. It was very similar to the Avengers, a big-budget action movie based on a comic book character(s) with a silly story. And while Superman himself is less cool than, say, Iron Man, Zod is a much better villain than anything the Marvel movies have coughed up so far. He's miles ahead of Loki at least. So yeah, I liked it. Rottentomatoes I find is less and less indicative of a movie's quality. It seems too many angry nerds bomb the user ratings up or down; it's basically Metacritic now.

It's Superman, isn't it kind of predictable? Will he thwart the bad guy? Gee I'm not sure, the suspense is tearing me apart. How's he gonna get out of this one, with only his superhuman strength, speed, tougness, heat vision, freeze breath, superhearing, flying, stopping bullets and locomotives, that spinny tornado thing and all that other shit?

Can't be worse than reversing time by flying counter clockwise around the earth, memory erasing kiss, Nuclear man, action scenes = Lifting objects.

If the fights are exagerated and all Dragon Ball Z, well it's Superman, that's a better option than making them the horrible zoomed in mess that the Batman movies action scenes were.

Cimmerian Nights said:
It's Superman, isn't it kind of predictable? Will he thwart the bad guy? Gee I'm not sure, the suspense is tearing me apart. How's he gonna get out of this one, with only his superhuman strength, speed, tougness, heat vision, freeze breath, superhearing, flying, stopping bullets and locomotives, that spinny tornado thing and all that other shit?

They actually made him weaker in this movie, compared to the comics or previous films.

Yeah, I know.

I can only repeat my call for a 20-year moratorium on all Batman, Superman, and Spiderman movies.

I had a free HBO weekend again, so I watched Contagion, Dark Shadows, and Before Sunrise.

Contagion was solid. My favorite part was Gwyneth Paltrow's corpse getting it's skull sawed open and seeing the scalp flop down over her staring, cadaverous face. Don't get me wrong, though -- it's a pretty good movie even discounting that.

Dark Shadows is one of the many Tim Burton/Johnnie Depp/Helena Bonham-Carter movies. It has some good moments and a lot of unrealized potential, but overall it's just very ho-hum. Not their best effort, by any means.

Before Sunrise is really, really good. I wanted to see it because the third movie in the series, Before Midnight, is getting such positive buzz.

I've seen interviews with people who disliked the new Superman, describing it as cold and lifeless. I guess people don't appreciate it when they don't get their required whimsy quota. Probably the reason Iron Man 3 was so loved, and Man of Steel disliked. Which is the opposite for me.

Like 10 pages back said:
you miss out on thrillers like LA Confidential.

Well I've seen it now, and I can't think of a better police type movie. It's taken up the number 10 spot on my top 100.

"Guy Pierce: All I ever wanted was to measure up to my father.
Russel Crowe: Now's your chance.
He died in the line of duty, didn't he?
Russel Crowe & Guy Pierce: Hehe."

UniversalWolf said:
I can only repeat my call for a 20-year moratorium on all Batman, Superman, and Spiderman movies.
Oh come off it man, you'd be the first to line up for a gritty, realistic, seriously heavy reboot of Mighty Mouse or Plastic Man, wouldn't you? I'm still holding out for the Captain Caveman movie myself, pumped up with lots of explosions and pretentious gravitas.

Atomkilla said:
Has someone seen this?

I don't hold IMDB scores in high regard, and am more interested in opinions of post-apoc fans. Plus, many Biehn-lovers here, so even better.

What you have there, sir, is one of the bleakest, most cynical depictions of human nature under disaster conditions that western media has ever produced. I wasn't sorry I watched it, but it did leave me with a feeling that I can only describe as "the way you feel after reading The Road, but cranked up to 11."

It can be a bit of a soap opera, focusing as it does mostly on the interactions of unlikable people under extreme stress in cramped quarters, so YMMV.

Cimmerian Nights said:
UniversalWolf said:
Oh come off it man, you'd be the first to line up for a gritty, realistic, seriously heavy reboot of Mighty Mouse or Plastic Man, wouldn't you? I'm still holding out for the Captain Caveman movie myself, pumped up with lots of explosions and pretentious gravitas.
I was thinking more along the lines of Archie, Junkhead, Betty, and Veronica.

How about a Thundarr the Barbarian movie? I might go see that. Lords of Light!

Akratus said:
Well I've seen it now, and I can't think of a better police type movie. It's taken up the number 10 spot on my top 100.
Check out Chinatown, from 1974. Just ignore the fact that it was directed by a child rapist.

Yamu said:
What you have there, sir, is one of the bleakest, most cynical depictions of human nature under disaster conditions that western media has ever produced. I wasn't sorry I watched it, but it did leave me with a feeling that I can only describe as "the way you feel after reading The Road, but cranked up to 11."

It can be a bit of a soap opera, focusing as it does mostly on the interactions of unlikable people under extreme stress in cramped quarters, so YMMV.

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping it would be something like that. I avoid reading reviews because if they aren't ridden with spoilers, then they have little substance to them, but I always appreciate your thoughts.
Will watch it.

Also, I need to watch Cube already.

UniversalWolf said:
Check out Chinatown, from 1974. Just ignore the fact that it was directed by a child rapist.

I didn't know Polanski was a rapist. Woah.

I like his films though, and since we're mentioning him, I recommend Carnage. At first it seems really simple, but saying it's just another comedy-drama doesn't give it right.
It's a really good film with heavy focus on its characters, which are perfectly portrayed by their respective actors.

Atomkilla said:
I didn't know Polanski was a rapist. Woah.

Statuatory rape. Not that I care that much, but with this expression existing only in the English language (from what I know), it tends to cause a bit of confusion. Most other languages treat "rape" as a pretty straight-forward word, without the possibility for misunderstanding.
He's a creep, yes.

Statutory Rape nothing, he flat out raped a 13 year old girl by getting her drunk and then escaped to France to avoid getting prosecuted. That just says guilty in big bold letters.

220px-Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg

Watched this again. Masterpiece, and the characters portrayed were all heroes. Very few war movies like this.

Walpknut, I must admit, I don't know the details of it. I always heard it described as a statuatory rape. What you describe sounds like outright rape yes.

Sub-Human said:
220px-Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg

Watched this again. Masterpiece, and the characters portrayed were all heroes. Very few war movies like this.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. I've seen this movie countless times, and the attention to detail is impressive. I adore the fact that it sortof competed with "Thin red line", but pff, not much of a competition, "Thin red line" to smeared all over :D

Walpknut said:
Statutory Rape nothing, he flat out raped a 13 year old girl by getting her drunk and then escaped to France to avoid getting prosecuted. That just says gilty in big bold letters.

Well, I didn't know all that.

He wouldn't be the first artist whose works I like that is a criminal too, but it's always bad when you realize that.

As for Saving Private Ryan, yes, that is a masterpiece. War films tend to get really emotional, but hardly manage to bring a message and still stay with solid characters you connect with, without becoming too banal and trite, so to speak.
Few war films I've seen did that, and Ryan is among them.

Back