The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Atomkilla said:
Walpknut said:
Statutory Rape nothing, he flat out raped a 13 year old girl by getting her drunk and then escaped to France to avoid getting prosecuted. That just says gilty in big bold letters.

Well, I didn't know all that.

He wouldn't be the first artist whose works I like that is a criminal too, but it's always bad when you realize that.

In an uncomfortably apt sort of way, I find it actually adds an extra dimension to some of Jeffery Jones' roles. I've never been able to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off quite the same way since Principal Rooney went onto the sex offender reigstry.

Yamu said:
I've never been able to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off quite the same way since Principal Rooney went onto the sex offender reigstry.
Yeah, same here.

LA Confidential was specifically made as a sort of spiritual sequel to Chinatown, which is one of the best Jack Nicholson movies as well.

What about Kill Bill's titular character? I bet that'd be uncomfortable if you feel that way about those people. For me, I can suspend my disbelief and forget about real world things like these. That is, unless an actor appears a lot in a lot of movies and the character isn't well written enough/the actor doesn't act differently enough. Like Tom Cruise.

That reminds me, saw Jack Reacher with my father and brother. They liked it, for me it was a great opening scene followed by Tom Cruise masturbating all over the camera. Metaphorically speaking.

It's telling when the best part of the movie is innocent people getting gunned down in public.

Yep.

[spoiler:b8318cc5a9]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WE-wCw5Lf3I" frameborder="0"></iframe>[/spoiler:b8318cc5a9]

Man of Steel. Wow, that movie....how to describe it. Imagine Dragon Ball Z, but without any interesting characters to root for or plot (but that IS DBZ!! hahaha, you're hilarious)

The second half of the movie was just more and more boring action, continuously. Whilst the beginning bit was basically Russell Crowe saying over and over "He'll be a beacon" "You'll be a god to them" and all this other meaningless crap, with Snyder basically trying to push the idea that Supes is jesus.

For god's sake, everybody knows what will happen at the end. Superman lives, saves the day, all the important characters for the sequel survive. Try to add some frikkin humour somewhere. It's what made the old films so great. They knew the concept of a man flying around in his trunks was stupid, so they just had fun with it. Everyone knows the hero will win, so why not show him doing something other than fighting the bad guys?

Supes is a boring character, he's more of a symbol than anything. Clark Kent is the character I want to see, and Chris Reeve pulled it off beautifully in the original. Bumbling, clumsy, mild mannered and polite. Basically unmemorable. What I like about him is that while he doesn't have all the superpowers and stuff, he's still Superman. Superman is the nice guy, what everyone should want to aspire to be. He has absolute power, but he's not corrupted by it. He's a good person, and while Clark Kent is bumbling and useless, he's also a nice person and a cool guy.

In the new film he's nothing like that. He's (yet another) tortured soul, trying to find his place in the big horrible world that will apparently hate him. The worst thing is he just doesn't give a shit about human life. In the originals, the villains use Superman's weakness, that he cares about people, against him, attacking him while he tries to save others. In this new film he just happily smashes skyscrapers down in a big glorious colossal CGI clusterfuck fight wit Zod. At the end it even shows he doesn't give a shit about purposefully killing people, again something Superman would never do.

I just can't understand how you can do one of the simplest and most uncomplicated characters so horribly wrong. Man of Steel is just another boring big hollywood CGI-fest blockbuster film, designed to make as much money as possible, but somehow with no joy or fun in it.

Sorry about that, needed to blow some steam there.

Akratus said:
No characters to root for? I rooted for Zod!

errr...I'm not sure that was the director's intention. Kinda proves my point in how they fucked up Supe's very, very easy-to-do character. It does seem stupid that they made the villain more sympathetic than the hero. For god's sake, you're not making the godfather. You're making a superhero movie for general mass audiences.

Earth said:
He's (yet another) tortured soul, trying to find his place in the big horrible world...
Bleh, that sounds awful. That's exactly the sort of thing I disliked most about the last Superman movie.

Earth said:
Supes is a boring character, he's more of a symbol than anything. Clark Kent is the character I want to see
I always thought that was the whole point. Whereas other superheroes are guys that dress up in costumes to hide their true identity (Bruce Wayne > Batman, PParker > Spiderman). Superman already is Superman, and has to wear a costume of a normal person and play things down to protect his true identity.
Characters like Superman and Cap. America never appealed to me, way too wholesome, goody-goody, altruistic, superficial, and... dull. Pretty one-dimensional. And yeah, Superman is about as predictable as Titanic.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Earth said:
Supes is a boring character, he's more of a symbol than anything. Clark Kent is the character I want to see
I always thought that was the whole point. Whereas other superheroes are guys that dress up in costumes to hide their true identity (Bruce Wayne > Batman, PParker > Spiderman). Superman already is Superman, and has to wear a costume of a normal person and play things down to protect his true identity.

What I meant was in a visual sense Clark Kent is great to watch. In the original film Christopher Reeve acts this perfectly, with Kent bumbling around, stuttering nervously, always readjusting his glasses. Everyone around just ignores him, he's that weird geeky guy in the background. The best thing in the film is to see the incredible difference in Clark and Superman's characters.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Characters like Superman and Cap. America never appealed to me, way too wholesome, goody-goody, altruistic, superficial, and... dull. Pretty one-dimensional. And yeah, Superman is about as predictable as Titanic.

That's what I dislike about these reboots. They horribly distort and twist the characters to whatever's popular. The same happened to Spider-man, where in The Amazing Spider-man Peter Parker is the ultimate mary-sue, the character designed to be as likeable as possible (he's attractive, cute, intelligent, skateboarding etc...) In Man of Steel they literally just said, "oh what's popular, hey The Dark Knight. Let's design Superman's character so he's as much like Batman as possible (lonely, tormented, afraid) because people are really digging the tormented soul character in superhero movies right now".

It annoys me because with both Superman and Spider-man it doesn't work. Peter Parker can't be all those things above and also a loser with no friends. And Superman shouldn't feel like a lonely alien when he grew up and lived on Earth his whole life. To be honest, I wouldn't say Superman's one dimensional. I think he's really just a normal person, which can be boring I agree, but like I said, it's more about him being a symbol (crusader for the small guy etc..) than a character. He's the normal person with greatness thrust upon him.

The action in these movies like Man of Steel and Captain America are incredibly boring yes. I could barely sit through them. We know who's gonna win, so why drag it out.? At least with Superman 1 and 2 there's some cleverness in the writing to the endings outside of just "punching the bad guy"

(geez I am writing way too much. sorry)

I forgot to mention it is pretty fun picking out all the sci-fi imagery Man of Steel ripped off. From one viewing I picked out the Mass Effect reaper-like spaceships, the black hole like in Star Trek '09, Jor-EL flies on a dragon like the one in Avatar. And it might have been just me but General Zod wore armour that looked a lot like the armour the Enclave wore in Fallout 3

So I watched The Divide.

First of all, it didn't meet my expectations. Not in the way of its quality, will get to it later, but rather in the way the story goes. I was expecting a depressive and dark film, especially after Yamu's "The Road cranked up to 11", and I had hypothesized, so to speak, how the story might go judging by the trailer...

I was wrong.

[spoiler:dedee21a61]The film is by definition a horror, but what a horror it is. A very hard-hitting, emotional and exploitative, violent and abusive, this movie is definitely one of the darkest, most depressing, and as Yamu said it, cynical depictions of humanity I've seen...worse yet, it is very realistic. Not in a manner of "this will definitely happen", no, it's still very extreme, but I don't think there's a moment in film which couldn't fill the blank "potential outcome", given the situation, the characters, and their respective backgrounds.

There's also a somewhat political background to it, which isn't big, or deep, but is still a somewhat vague "warning" - myself liking the fact that it isn't really thrown in to our face (okay, not much), but left in traces (which are a bit obvious, though).

Film is technically really good. Nothing special, but the way it is shot really brings out the atmosphere.

Acting is so-so in the beginning, but gradually gets better (and more disturbing), but nothing special. The cast is well-picked in my opinion.

Cramped, disturbing, graphic... it is in many regards more suited for (body) horror enthusiasts rather than post-apoc ones, but I still give my recommendation for anyone who is interested in the genre (and this is NMA, I guess there are a few). I'm obviously still under heavy impression since I'm basically typing this just after watching it, but I'm pretty sure this film will stay with me. It's not the most logical, best-acted, best conceived or whatever film...but it is something. Make it out for yourselves. [/spoiler:dedee21a61]

Recommended. I just give a warning though. This film can fuck you up. Hard.

@Earth, I'm not even a superhero fan, but I grew up with Superman movies just enough to know what makes one. What you tell up there is exactly what I was fearing for this one. I got a couple free movie tickets, and promised a pal a movie whenever something good comes up. He suggested the new Superman movie, and insisted it could be good, and he really should know better, because he actually is a superhero fan.

It is frustrating to carry these strike-of-luck couple of free movie tickets around, when people keep chirning out crap movies. I bet I'm gonna end up wasting their validity period or something...

I watched Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious from 1946, with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. Really good. I love what Hitchcock does with Cary Grant, making his characters ruthless and not-altogether likable. So different from Grant's other movies.

I have a question. Why do superhero movies need to be live-action? Take Batman, for example. I think I've seen every Batman movie that's come out in the past 25 years (except maybe the last one -- there was one after The Dark Knight, wasn't there?), and yet every time I see one of the animated Batman television shows, I can't help but think how much better it seems than the Batman movies. I actually like those shows. I think they're solid.

Since Batman, like most superheroes, started out as a comic book character, maybe animation is simply a better medium for him. Animation has a fundamentally different level of expectation and mimesis from live-action -- a level more appropriate for the comic book superhero genre. Seems like it, anyway.

Not meaning to offend, or anything, I am genuinely interested - why do you 'hate' superhero movies so much, UniversalWolf?

I'm just interested, if that's not a problem.

Just watched Monster University with my nephew, the bother of watching a movie in a theatre room full of snotteating kids aside the movie wasn't half bad, not one of Pixar's best, but definetly better than Brave and Cars 2.

zegh8578 said:
It is frustrating to carry these strike-of-luck couple of free movie tickets around, when people keep chirning out crap movies. I bet I'm gonna end up wasting their validity period or something...

Hold onto them. I spent almost 20 quid with this film (with those damned 3D glasses) because my friends were dragging me in and hadn't checked the 2D times. Heck, when one of my friends heard it was 3D, he just up and left the cinema. I should have gone with him :(

I forgot to mention that the film is incredibly boring to watch, with the worst Nolan-style dialogue they could shove in. I'm actually baffled by how bad this film is.

@Walpknut That sounds good. I wasn't sure about Monster University but I might actually consider watching it now, especially if it's better than Cars 2 and Brave.

Back