The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Well, if it is a cliche, I don't think it's so bad for it to replace the all the more prevalent male action hero cliche.

In the end of course, what does it is the writing. I wouldn't have liked the Expendables 3 any more than I do now if it was a mostly female cast.

By the way, that really was a shitty movie. The special effects, the action, the acting, the writing, it was all terrible. It was even worse than the previous two films, and those were already terrible.

It might be a stretch, but if you've a penchant for darker, more thematic films, you might like The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928). It's a silent black and white film that you can watch on YouTube, with subtitles. Sometimes, it's played with musical narration by an obscure orchestra or band; hipsters like that sort of thing, I suppose. It's where I got my profile picture from.

Ever since I watched it as a kid, Chicken Run (2000) has always been another favourite of mine, as has The Mummy franchise with Brendan Fraser (even though the computer effects can be notorious at times). On the subject of children's films, Up (2009) must be, for me, one of the most touching movies I've ever watched. Manly tears were shed that day.

Akratus said:
By the way, that really was a shitty movie. The special effects, the action, the acting, the writing, it was all terrible. It was even worse than the previous two films, and those were already terrible.

Suffice to say, it's seldom intellectual viewing. Having watched the first two movies, you discover the premise of the entire Expendables franchise very quickly: explosions and manly men doing manly things.

@valcik, I'll be sure to try and look up those movies you're prescribed to me when I have the time; I'll get back to you. They sound very interesting, and very promising.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Brendan Fraser as an actor, and agree the first two Mummy movies weren't bad at all. The third one however...

How can the gender alone make it cliche? I think it has to be specific style of heroine for it to be cliche.
Not really. The entire concept of a fighting female heroine has been overdone to the point of losing it's meaning, which is the defninition of cliche.

I actually typed up a detailed response, but for the 100th time, this wretched new message board managed to eat it before I could post, so we'll have to settle for this inadequate response.

Off the top of my head I came up a few names:

Ellen Ripley
Buffy Summers
Trinity
Hitgirl
Lisbeth Salander
Clarice Starling
Beatrix Kiddo
Hermione Grainger
Sarah Connor
Pam Grier's butt-kicking characters from her 1970s movies
Katniss Everdeen

...and that's just an incomplete list of female characters who fight. If you expand it to include violent female characters, it gets much, much longer.

Somewhere between Ellen Ripley and that red-haired, ass-kicking, female elf character from Peter Jackson's recent hobbit-exploitation flicks, it became nothing but a crass marketing ploy.

Please explain to me how including female heroines has "lost it's meaning" because is been "overdone"?
Have male heroes also lost their meaning too? They are far more present.

Well I suppose we have to establish what we mean with clichéd female characters. If there's a well written skimpy woman, is it a cliché? Or is it only a cliché if she is stereotypically written?

Anyway, I do very much support characters like Ripley, the Bride, Vasquez, Leia, Marion Ravenwood and especially Sarah Connor. But I can also enjoy the first Tomb Raider movie, even though you might call her a more stereotypical character. It's all in the execution I suppose.

Evaluating stuff with bullet points is pretty stupid, and this is not even about sexism, archtypes and "tropes" are just tools, they exist for a reason and it's all about how you use them.

Here's few tips for less known sci-fi movies:

Fantastic Planet (1973) - Czech animated movie with mature writing and great music, lovely illustrated foreign world full of bizzare lifeforms. This film is intended for true feinschmeckers, it's a masterpiece!

The Testament of Professor Dowell (1985) - Russian film based on novel Голова профессора Доуэля written back in 1925; very solid piece of work.

Android (1982) - American low-budget flick with interesting plot and somewhat underperforming actors, great atmosphere anyway. The eighties at its best, don't expect shiny special effect though.

Fantastic Planet (1973) - Czech animated movie with mature writing and great music, lovely illustrated foreign world full of bizzare lifeforms. This film is intended for true feinschmeckers, it's a masterpiece!

This one I know well and I truly love it. Made me think of the Codex Seraphinianus when I first saw it. Topor is the shit.

The Testament of Professor Dowell (1985) - Russian film based on novel Голова профессора Доуэля written back in 1925; very solid piece of work.

Android (1982) - American low-budget flick with interesting plot and somewhat underperforming actors, great atmosphere anyway. The eighties at its best, don't expect shiny special effect though.
Cool recommendations. I'll keep them in mind. I don't remember Android, but the IMDb page is pretty funny:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083557/

I saw a great comedy/drama from 1960: The Apartment, with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. I haven't seen Mad Men, but it seems like this movie was probably an inspiration for that show. I really like Shirley MacLaine. She's in a lot of my favorite movies from that era and she's great every time I see her.

I also watched Evil Dead 2 again a few days ago. That movie is still really fun. It reminds me why I dislike so many recent horror movies.

I rewatched 'Cube' recently. It's an amazing low budget sci-fi flick. It has a real focus on characters and dialogue and I really love it. Definitely recommended.

Also, have I ever posted my favorite trailer, fan-made or otherwise, in this thread? Because that would be this one:

Ah. . Blade Runner. . . Apart from Deckard's car which is a boxxy overly eighties design, I simply don't have a fault with this movie. It's perfect in every single other way.

Evaluating stuff with bullet points is pretty stupid, and this is not even about sexism, archtypes and "tropes" are just tools, they exist for a reason and it's all about how you use them.

Wait, what? Who was evaluating stuff with bullet points? It seems like you're just trying to insult random pieces of a post without actually reading the post.

I rewatched 'Cube' recently. It's an amazing low budget sci-fi flick. It has a real focus on characters and dialogue and I really love it. Definitely recommended.

Also, have I ever posted my favorite trailer, fan-made or otherwise, in this thread? Because that would be this one:

Ah. . Blade Runner. . . Apart from Deckard's car which is a boxxy overly eighties design, I simply don't have a fault with this movie. It's perfect in every single other way.

The first time I watched this movie I couldn't get into it, but then again I missed like 18% of the beginning. Second time I watched it I didn't mind it at all, it delivers a good connection with the audience, all the while escalating that "creepy retro-futuristic setting".

Back