The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Atomkilla said:
zegh8578 said:
Lebanon
2009, Israel
lebanon+still.jpg

With the entire movie shot from inside a tank, this movie is unique by default. In many ways a typical "anti-war" film, it is original, and manages to employ many a good effect, although it might get a tad bit predictable/preachy I am willing to forgive all of that for the sake of originality, tension and intension. What more can one ask anyway, right?
So, I'm giving it a good solid score, out of ten.

From inside a tank?

That sounds pretty cool. Definitely original.

Maybe I'll check it out.

Then you should check out 'The Beast of War' (1988) based on a russian tank crew lost in afghanistan.

DammitBoy said:
Atomkilla said:
zegh8578 said:
Lebanon
2009, Israel
lebanon+still.jpg

With the entire movie shot from inside a tank, this movie is unique by default. In many ways a typical "anti-war" film, it is original, and manages to employ many a good effect, although it might get a tad bit predictable/preachy I am willing to forgive all of that for the sake of originality, tension and intension. What more can one ask anyway, right?

From inside a tank?

Maybe I'll check it out.

Then you should check out 'The Beast of War' (1988) based on a russian tank crew lost in afghanistan.

Okay, added to my bookmarks.
Will probably watch both of them when I'm up for a war film marathon...which happens now and then.

Thanks.

DammitBoy said:
Atomkilla said:
zegh8578 said:
Lebanon
2009, Israel
lebanon+still.jpg

From inside a tank?

Maybe I'll check it out.

I got to the extreme close-up of anal penetration before I shut the movie off and died of embarrassment.

Star Trek: Into Darkness was terrible. It was better than the first one though so if you liked that pile of crap then you'll like this one too. 1.5 out of 10.

On the Iron Man 3 thing from before...

It was fun but a little shallow on some parts, things like the ending wrap up could have been. The twist on the Mandarin was unexecpted, and while it broke off from the comics at least it did something interesting and funny with it, unlike Asthmatic Bane that just gets shot through a wall at the end.

Not a flawless movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it was fun. The end credits being done in the style of a 90's buddy cop show was hialrious.

I saw Django Unchained. I liked the first half, but it started to drag once they arrived at Candyland, took a distinct turn for the worse when

[spoiler:dc89d5c109]Candie brought out the skull (über-Tarantino-cliche menacing speech complete with hysterical shouting at the end),[/spoiler:dc89d5c109]

and went completely off the rails after

[spoiler:dc89d5c109]Schultz shot Candie.[/spoiler:dc89d5c109]

From then on it was just a power fantasy. (Not that the first half wasn't also, but it had some mitigating stuff, and the unfulfilled promise of maybe not going on being a power fantasy.)

Meta Per in full action. I liked the movie for what it was.

Tarantino action.

What surprised me, but that was expected with that topic, the kind of disturbing violence. I mean yeah, the bad guys getting their brain splattered around every corner, is fun. A yellow submarine girl castrating japanese mafia criminals? And so on.

But the part about slavery, was still a bit disturbing. Thats a good thing though. I guess.

FearMonkey said:
Star Trek: Into Darkness was terrible. It was better than the first one though so if you liked that pile of crap then you'll like this one too. 1.5 out of 10.

Aww shit, i'm gonna watch that tonight.

Finally watched Black Swan. Meh. Didn't really like it, to be honest, too many loose ends and such.

Walpknut said:

It was fun but a little shallow on some parts, things like the ending wrap up could have been. The twist on the Mandarin was unexecpted, and while it broke off from the comics at least it did something interesting and funny with it, unlike Asthmatic Bane that just gets shot through a wall at the end.

Not a flawless movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it was fun. The end credits being done in the style of a 90's buddy cop show was hialrious.

The Mandarin honestly cracked me up and made up for all the movie's flaws. Those fucking fortune cookies man.

[spoiler:5a26259126]Slattery being taken away while still holding his can of beer and looking dumbfounded was hilarious, that whole role was very unconventional, specially for Ben Kingsley.

Also trying to impress his pais prostitutes with the factoid his Mandarin rant about the CHinese Theater was about.[/spoiler:5a26259126]

WorstUsernameEver said:
Walpknut said:

The Mandarin honestly cracked me up and made up for all the movie's flaws. Those fucking fortune cookies man.

What I get least of all, is why the movie played BLUE at the very beginning. . . of all the songs you could pick . . . .

Also, I just finished The 25th Hour. I didn't like it much.

FearMonkey said:

I really dig the space scenes - as far as I can remember it's the first science fiction film that depicts outer space action as silent (it's vacuum, duh, no particles for sound waves to travel). when a space ship scoots past the screen you don't hear any engine noise or anything, while the radio chatter and static are a nice touch and indicate an alternative means for communication (as opposed to shouting)

also, during a battle when a person gets sploded into space in midscream BAM! KABLAM! and silence....

sweetness :clap:

details like that makes space feel like OUTER SPACE!

Gaspard said:
FearMonkey said:

I really dig the space scenes - as far as I can remember it's the first science fiction film that depicts outer space action as silent (it's vacuum, duh, no particles for sound waves to travel). when a space ship scoots past the screen you don't hear any engine noise or anything, while the radio chatter and static are a nice touch and indicate an alternative means for communication (as opposed to shouting)

also, during a battle when a person gets sploded into space in midscream BAM! KABLAM! and silence....

sweetness :clap:

details like that makes space feel like OUTER SPACE!

Serenity did action scenes in space being silent too. And technically both 2001 and 2010 had their space scenes silent other than the score and maybe the people breathing in their space suits. Probably other but those are the ones that spring to mind right away.

I saw Rain Man from 1988 and Pennies from Heaven from 1981.

Rain Man (with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman) was very refreshing, reminding me of when big Hollywood releases didn't have to have aliens, vampires, superheroes, or talking animals. The cinematography is excellent, with a naturalistic bent that's missing from most contemporary films. Above all there's some really nice subtlety to the character development. It's a drama that could've been played as a simplistic tear-jerker, but fortunately it's way smarter and more complex than that. I liked it.

Pennies from Heaven is a truly bizarre movie, but I enjoyed it as well. It's a big production musical set in the early 1930s, but nobody sings. They lip-sync and dance to cheerful old show tunes. Even more strange, Steve Martin plays the lead role as a completely self-centered jerk (and this is not long after he made The Jerk) who spirals ever downward as the story progresses. I can honestly say I've never seen another movie like this, and that's pretty rare. No surprise that it was a complete financial failure when it was released.

Star Trek is a great movie, naysayers be cursed. It had a bit too many hanging plot threads at the end, but otherwise I enjoyed it very much.

Watched Iron Sky yesterday. An enjoyable movie. Campy as hell, then again, when were Space Nazis not campy as hell? Also, Udo Kier. And Space Nazis.

I'll have to read Rocket Ship Galileo now.

Ilosar said:
Star Trek is a great movie, naysayers be cursed. It had a bit too many hanging plot threads at the end, but otherwise I enjoyed it very much.

[spoiler:594681f99d]Too many hanging plot threads like there should no longer be any death in the Star Trek universe because now Starfleet has access to unlimited supplies of magic Khan blood? :roll: [/spoiler:594681f99d]

FearMonkey said:
[spoiler:48a1c40f2c]Too many hanging plot threads like there should no longer be any death in the Star Trek universe because now Starfleet has access to unlimited supplies of magic Khan blood? :roll: [/spoiler:48a1c40f2c]

In a setting with teleporters, laser weapons, time travel, medical technology out of iPods, aliens with rubber foreheads and creepy robo-zombies in cubic ships, you find this out of place?

[spoiler:48a1c40f2c] and as I understood it his blood helps to heal people, it doesn't ressurect. Kirk wasn't dead yet. A better question is 1) won't the Federation question why an admiral and all his crew suddendly disappeared? and 2) the Klingons seem awfully fine with a human supersoldier coming over and massacring a hundred of them[/spoiler:48a1c40f2c]

I've been a fan of Star Trek TOS and Star Trek TNG my whole life and I liked Into Darkness...it felt like one of the better Star Trek movies...

That being said none of the 12 star trek films are able to match the heights of the TOS and TNG but I like most of them for what they are...including Into Darkness...

The 2009 movie felt like Star Wars with a Star Trek coating. This movie captured all of the Enterprise crew's characters quite well and had the same feeling of adventure that some of the older movies had. There was no "philosophy" but none of the previous movies had much of that anyway and the general themes in the movie are about the same amount as in most of the older movies...this felt more like Star Trek than the 2009 one....

Once again, I repeat that no Star Trek movie has captured what I liked about the franchise from the TV shows...also I went into Into Darkness with extremely very low expectations and I was much surprised...

Back