The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

So I'm watching Minority Report. If you want a good sci-fi with tom cruise you should watch it.

I didn't like him in Oblivion, because I still saw him as tom cruise. I also do in minority report but this one stretches his limited acting abilities to the limit. The only movie of his that I genuinely like, and think is great.

Buxbaum666 said:
Verd1234 said:
It is really interesting how Iron Man has jumped enormously in popularity over the past few years....
I'd say Robert Downey Jr. is partly to blame.

I haven't watched any of the films, are they as bad as I think the are?

They are popcorn flicks, well acted and filmed, with good action scenes. Don't expect anything super deep from them. They are fun to watch.

Akratus said:
I didn't like him in Oblivion, because I still saw him as tom cruise. I also do in minority report but this one stretches his limited acting abilities to the limit. The only movie of his that I genuinely like, and think is great.

hceck out Magnolia. It's not a sci-fi, its a drama, but I think it's one of Tom Cruises best acting roles

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbanWHx5AFQ[/youtube]

thegaresexperience said:
hceck out Magnolia. It's not a sci-fi, its a drama, but I think it's one of Tom Cruises best acting roles

Both times I watched it I had bad luck, and was sleepy allready, obviously resulting in a confused experience, with such and intertwined story. There are other movies that also deserve a re-watching on my part, cus of poor impression due to inadequate movie watching moods, such as Donnie Darko and Reservoir Dogs.

Akratus said:
So I'm watching Minority Report. If you want a good sci-fi with tom cruise you should watch it.
From a story by the mad genius Phillip K. Dick, which makes all the difference. I have a few qualms about that movie, but I think it's held up pretty well over the years so far because of the fundamentally strong writing. Fewer franchise movies and more PKD adaptations please.

I saw Punch-Drunk Love, and it was very, very surprising. Adam Sandler can act. He's actually really good. I wish he'd do more of it, since he's only pretending to be a comedian these days.

I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas last night. Could definitely see it's a Terry Gilliam movie. I think I'll go over the plot summary on wikipedia to figure out whether they actually did the . . something . . that they set out to do.

Well now I've read it and I still don't know.

Akratus said:
I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas last night. Could definitely see it's a Terry Gilliam movie. I think I'll go over the plot summary on wikipedia to figure out whether they actually did the . . something . . that they set out to do.

Well now I've read it and I still don't know.

One of my favorite books and movie. The movie can be... an effort... to watch :D

And my impression of it was that the movie showed a heroic exercise in getting as far away from what you originally set out to do, as humanly possible :D

They are there to cover that rally-cross thing, in the desert. So he actually manages to get there, and get sand in his beer. The rest is just... random mayhem. I don't know why he brought his lawyer along, but something tells me they are being illogical way before the story begins :D

An aftermath anecdote, that lawyer eventually disappeared. Likely shot by drug mobsters, out on open ocean, and dumped. Not a lot of clarity around it, but, that's a way to go... :D

"We can't stop here. This is bat country!"

It's a great feat to make a movie with no real structure so quotable and funny.

This was my avatar at one point:

cn5.gif

Have you guys seen this by the way?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD6cy4PBQPI[/youtube]

I didn't think Ben Stiller had it in him. Maybe the production company for the trailer made the movie look better but the movie itself looks real good so far.

I saw Pacific Rim. It's a movie about giant robots fighting giant trans-dimensional lizards, and as such, it's pretty good. Sure, there are plot holes, character and story tropes, and lots of other flaws, but it's a movie about giant robots fighting giant lizards, so what do you want? At least the characters are likable, which is a rarity in these kinds of movies these days. The villains are also unusual and interesting.

I give it a Not-Half-Bad.

Akratus said:
Have you guys seen this by the way?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD6cy4PBQPI[/youtube]

I didn't think Ben Stiller had it in him. Maybe the production company for the trailer made the movie look better but the movie itself looks real good so far.

There are a lot of reasons I shouldn't be excited over this.

The trailer is always better than the film.

It asks us to trust the Hollywood machine to inflate 32 pages of literary content into a feature-length screenplay.

The source material they stand a good chance of botching is one of my favorite short stories of all time.

They already tried it once, to disappointing effect, in 1947.

It stars Roy Fokker.

Somehow, I still can't wait.

UniversalWolf said:
I saw Pacific Rim. It's a movie about giant robots fighting giant trans-dimensional lizards, and as such, it's pretty good. Sure, there are plot holes, character and story tropes, and lots of other flaws, but it's a movie about giant robots fighting giant lizards, so what do you want? At least the characters are likable, which is a rarity in these kinds of movies these days. The villains are also unusual and interesting.

I give it a Not-Half-Bad.

Those were my thoughts as well. It is an entertaining movie to watch the first time around for the fights, but I don't see myself watching it again. I'm not that big on giant robots, and the like so already I went in not expecting much. Unless a friend wanted to see it, or if there was nothing else to see at the moment, I don't think I'll see it again.

Wastewander said:
UniversalWolf said:
I saw Pacific Rim...I give it a Not-Half-Bad.

Those were my thoughts as well. It is an entertaining movie to watch the first time around for the fights, but I don't see myself watching it again. I'm not that big on giant robots, and the like so already I went in not expecting much. Unless a friend wanted to see it, or if there was nothing else to see at the moment, I don't think I'll see it again.
I agree. I enjoyed it from the standpoint of carrying on the tradition of Ray Harryhausen monster movies and Japanese monster movies like Godzilla. I'd compare it to Michael Bay's Transformers movies, except better in every way. No lame attempts at humor. Battle scenes where you can actually understand what's happening. Music that isn't obnoxiously loud. Likable characters. Still very silly on many fronts, but not irritating.

Wasn't it del Toro's reponse to not being allowed to film a live-action Evangelion movie or something?

I haven't seen it yet but I want to.

^

I'm looking forward to the day when Del Toro directs At the Mountains of Madness.

As for actual films...last night I've *finally* seen The Dark Knight Rises.

I suppose Nolan decided to make a fine ending to the new trilogy, but I believe this is the weakest one of the three.
The story felt a bit rushed at moments, which is further *improved* by those awful, annoying fast-paced shots which may save a lot of screen time, but are quite irritating to watch.

I like how Hardy played Bane, but am unsure if his voice is generated via computer or if he had done it by himself...I suppose it's a bit of both, but hands down, it's one of the few films where a voice of the certain character is so impressive that it marks the whole film.
Acting in general was okay, I didn't like Catwoman much, at certain moments. For some reason, it seemed as she was pushing it a bit too far, to the land of over-the-top-acting (or, as some would say, land of bad acting), but in the end, it was fine.

There are many minuses in the overall plot, but I'm too lazy to actually put the spoiler tags in order to point them out...but yeah, the story is far from perfect.
However, this is a superhero film, after all, and I'm satisfied.

It's probably one of the best superhero films I've seen, but it's also the worst Nolan film I've seen.

Also, I'm not sure if its symbolic, or if it is for the better visuals, but Batman flick filmed mostly in broad daylight? Not a best choice.

Back