The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Earth said:
Akratus said:
No. Joy =/= humour. There's no joy in clever scenes, nice action or good acting?

Amy Adams was a fucking brick in this film. Henry Caville was more of a super model than an actor, and Russell Crowe was Russell Crowe. I don't really care for Michael Shannon's cliched evil villain with good intentions crap.

I already mentioned all the imagery they stole so there was no good CGI, not to mention they were all clusterfucks anyway. I don't understand people who can sit through Dragon Ball Z style fights without falling asleep.

The fights were nowhere near as much over the top as most of DBZ. "I already mentioned all the imagery they stole so there was no good CGI" You mentioned some stolen imagery therefore ALL of the cgi is worthless? And are you really not quick enough to keep up with the "clusterfucks"? It was only slightly fast in some very few parts.

I'm not saying this was a faultless movie, or worthy of much praise. But it was visually nice, had some neat scenes, one good character and it kept me entertained. You obviously are trying too hard to hate this movie.

Akratus said:
I'm not saying this was a faultless movie, or worthy of much praise. But it was visually nice, had some neat scenes, one good character and it kept me entertained. You obviously are trying too hard to hate this movie.

I'm not "trying" to hate this movie, I just hated it. I wanted to enjoy it, but instead I hated it. It just annoys me going on the internet seeing all the dumbass praise for it.

It's not a bad movie, and you didn't exactly give any sound reasons why you would hate it. What were you expecting? Proper filmmaking? This is Zack Snyder we're talking about.

Akratus said:
This is Zack Snyder we're talking about.

I was expecting it to be crap, especially after Watchmen, but I was really just surprised at how boring it was. I was expecting a dumb action flick, instead Igot boring CGI and boring OTT action.

Akratus said:
Surprise, surprise! I recently saw Alien VS Predator, and actually liked it! I don't understand at all, the criticism towards it.
:roll:

*urgh*

well for starters, the story was garbage, the actors horrible and the action scenes very badly done, they probably got the worst cameramen they could find the fast-paced editing during fight sequences was pretty stupid.

But thats what you get when you let someone like Anderson do a movie.

The idea behind the Alien movies is quite often misunderstood. Yes, the creatures are "cool", but they actually never made the movie. Its the actors, their interaction with each other and the setting. Even if the Alien as creature has a very interesting look, its after all nothing more then a typical "movie monster" which kills people. In that sense its not different then any other monster movie out there, be it science fiction or not. But the writing was excellent as far as the characters goes and it made the whole situation believable. Imagine some truckers in space which are annoyed by their job, and all of sudden they face this life threatening situation. With no clue what to do. The characters don't seem flat, but believable.

Alien vs Predator is nothing of this, and thats why its a disgrace to the previous movies, even to Predator which was an action flick, but a really good one.

When you have visually such interesting monsters, people tend often to forget that its actually about the actors, the pacing of the story, but they actually are making the movie, not the monsters. The best movie monster doesnt help you anything if the acting of the people in the movie is shit. Not to mention you simply cant do a scary alien movie anymore. Thats simply not possible. Both the xenomorph and the predator have become pop culture.

I hope we have never ever to face another AvP again. At least as movie.

Crni Vuk said:

I know this is kind of off-topic, but if they did it right a video game might be pretty cool. The last one had too much of a human (fps shooter crap) thing to it. ome to think of it, a stand alone Predator game could be cool, where you literally just do what the Predator did in the first film.

Crni Vuk said:
Both the xenomorph and the predator have become pop culture.

There was an interesting point someone made saying Prometheus could have actually have been a fairly decent stand alone sci-fi movie if it hadn't been an alien prequel. The movie had a lot of flaws but taking out the dumb alien explanation would probably improve it quite a lot.

Earth said:
The movie had a lot of flaws but taking out the dumb alien explanation would probably improve it quite a lot.
It was dumb beyond salvation, regardless of the Alien stuff. That team of well educated astronauts behaves as a group of freaking adolescents, when exploring the planet. What's first thing after stepping in a cave full of unknown lifeform?
"Heya, guyze! Let's take our helmets off! Fuck the biohazard!"
"Roger that." *pshhhhhsssss..*
"Heya, guyze! I'll touch that living shit with my very own hand, watch me!" *poke* *poke-poke-poke*
:)

valcik said:
It was dumb beyond salvation, regardless of the Alien stuff. That team of well educated astronauts behaves as a group of freaking adolescents, when exploring the planet.

Good point. Forget I mentioned it. There were some fairly decent ideas behind this movie, but yeah the script and writing was horrible.

So, uh, a Batman/Superman crossover film was confirmed at comic-con not so long ago, could be cool, could be stupid.

Interesting non the less, it seems DC is rushing to get a Justice League movie, which I can easily see as being a flop, (compared to the Avengers at least) due to the lack of grandeur planning and well know characters that Marvel had.

I dunno, I like the Batman comics, but I'm a Marvel guy at heart, so my judgement might be a little clouded by my fanboyism.

On an unrelated note, how is Judge Dredd? I'm preparing for a long flight and I've just downloaded it onto my tablet.

Earth said:
Crni Vuk said:

I know this is kind of off-topic, but if they did it right a video game might be pretty cool. The last one had too much of a human (fps shooter crap) thing to it. ome to think of it, a stand alone Predator game could be cool, where you literally just do what the Predator did in the first film.

Crni Vuk said:
Both the xenomorph and the predator have become pop culture.

There was an interesting point someone made saying Prometheus could have actually have been a fairly decent stand alone sci-fi movie if it hadn't been an alien prequel. The movie had a lot of flaws but taking out the dumb alien explanation would probably improve it quite a lot.

You know, there were Comics and Video Games about AvP long before the movies were created, and AvP 2 was actually a great Alien game.

AlphaPromethean said:
On an unrelated note, how is Judge Dredd? I'm preparing for a long flight and I've just downloaded it onto my tablet.

It's a fun action movie, pretty stupid, but fun. Plus you get to see Dredd :irked: face a lot. It's one of those action films where you don't think about the plot and just enjoy the visuals and actions. (I'm sure they'll be plenty of people who disagree with me but w/e)

AlphaPromethean said:
Interesting non the less, it seems DC is rushing to get a Justice League movie, which I can easily see as being a flop, (compared to the Avengers at least) due to the lack of grandeur planning and well know characters that Marvel had.

DC has plenty of great characters, it's just that they don't translate well into film, especially the way they've done Man of Steel :x Wonder Woman is an Amazon from the Greek Myth era. You can shrug that off in a comic or cartoon, but it would just look stupid in a big dark gritty Hollywood movie. The only way they could get a Justice League film to work well would be if it was more like The Avengers, but then of course it would just be an Avengers movie, andeveryone would say they've ripped them off. I see what they're doing,I just don't think it would work without completely rewriting the characters, like they did with Superman.

Crni Vuk said:
Even if the Alien as creature has a very interesting look, its after all nothing more then a typical "movie monster" which kills people. In that sense its not different then any other monster movie out there, be it science fiction or not.
I don't think you're giving the original aliens enough credit. There was a lot of thought put in to making them as horrific as possible, not just on physical level -- although that's well-done too -- but on a psychological level. They're not just slimy insectoid-arachnids with lots of teeth; what they really want to do is tie you up, then orally rape and impregnate you. Yuck.

They seem a lot more ho-hum almost 35 years after the original movie because they've been so thoroughly run into the ground. Otherwise I agree with you. The original movie is as good as it is because of Ripley and the other characters. And it has far more suspense than action.

Earth said:
There was an interesting point someone made saying Prometheus could have actually have been a fairly decent stand alone sci-fi movie if it hadn't been an alien prequel.
Well, the plot was a fairly straight rip-off of the H.P. Lovecraft story At the Mountains of Madness. One of his best.

Prometheus would need a complete rewrite to be decent.

It had nice art direction but all the characters were beyond retarded for the convenience of the plot, the reason behind the entire expedition made no sense, it had so many dumb plot points for the sake of shock value (the operation scene, "only calibrated for males" wtf?), dumb stuff like "Geezus was a Pale alien and they are angry because we killed him SYMBOLIIIIIC!. And they just tried to cash in on people liking the original 2 Alien movies by throwing an alien reference at the end, because without that tacked on scene at the end nobody would've given a shit about the movie.

UniversalWolf said:
Well, the plot was a fairly straight rip-off of the H.P. Lovecraft story At the Mountains of Madness. One of his best.
There was a plot?

Walpknut said:
It had nice art direction
Come to think of it, yeah that was the only thing selling the movie for me. It annoys me that the artists behind the film had all their work wastedby retarded writers.

UniversalWolf said:
Crni Vuk said:
Even if the Alien as creature has a very interesting look, its after all nothing more then a typical "movie monster" which kills people. In that sense its not different then any other monster movie out there, be it science fiction or not.
I don't think you're giving the original aliens enough credit. There was a lot of thought put in to making them as horrific as possible, not just on physical level -- although that's well-done too -- but on a psychological level. They're not just slimy insectoid-arachnids with lots of teeth; what they really want to do is tie you up, then orally rape and impregnate you. Yuck.
not giving them enough ... I love those creatures! Its a really great design behind it and all that. But believe me, I have spend a lot of time with the movies, watching interviews by the movie makers and its the actors that make the movie, not the creature. Its the combination, with mediocre actors for example the movie would simply fall apart. Everyone of the characters had a distinctive personality and they really managed to give their roles a lot of realism. And the same is true for the Sequel Aliens. Not to mention Ridely was in hist best form when he did that movie.

Obviously it can never touch Alien's greatness. But I wasn't expecting a decent action flick, and so my expectations were low enough for me to at least enjoy it on a basic level. And there are far worse things out there than AvP.

Crni Vuk said:
not giving them enough ... I love those creatures!
Well anyway, you definitely have a point about them as far as the two AvP movies go. In recent years they've become little more than...MacGuffins with teeth, or something. I'm waiting for Alien versus Predator versus Avatar versus Freddie versus Jason.

You could replace the aliens in the two AvP movies with any generic monster, and you would have the same crappy stories.

Back