What should Future Fallouts be like?

The Dutch Ghost said:
I am trying to come up with a good idea for a concept.
Those who know me longer know that in the past I have already tried to come up with a good concept for a Fallout campaign in Texas that could be turned into a mod or something.

One thing that is on my mind is when I think about this is if if I should include the ideas of FOBOS that I did actually like (amongst the pile of crap that it was), or completely ignore everything.

I would like to make a possible Texas campaign that sort of builds on on the campaign of Fallout New Vegas (not same main characters, more the aftermath of the NCR-CL war).

I'd like the idea of a 3 way situation with NCR, a new Lone Star Republic and an anti NCR Group (maybe Lanius's Legion if he walked at hoover dam).

Somehow being a big player in the Lone Star Republic (like an Officer), you'd be able to guide it through several endings such as Union with the NCR/Legion or an independant Texas.

If you'd bring Ulysses back, he could help see a union with NCR and LSR, possibly helping his vision of a new USA.

The problem is that is setup is a bit to much like the Fallout New Vegas set up, with Lone Star Republic replacing Mr House as the third side in this case.

Instead I would like to go back to the atmosphere of FO1 and a bit of FO2.
NCR is still mostly east, only slowly expanding into Arizona and New Mexico while rooting out the remnants of the Legion and dealing with other local problems while setting up an infrastructure.

The region would have more of a frontier feeling, it still needs to be tamed and settled.

The Dutch Ghost said:
The problem is that is setup is a bit to much like the Fallout New Vegas set up, with Lone Star Republic replacing Mr House as the third side in this case.

Instead I would like to go back to the atmosphere of FO1 and a bit of FO2.
NCR is still mostly east, only slowly expanding into Arizona and New Mexico while rooting out the remnants of the Legion and dealing with other local problems while setting up an infrastructure.

The region would have more of a frontier feeling, it still needs to be tamed and settled.

You're right that I am probably making New Vegas 2 with that setup but Mr House is a bad comparison since he can't coexist with either side.

I'd find it hard to believe that there aren't several Vaults in Texas as there are several large areas like the D-FW metroplex, Austin and Houston so your 'frontier' type could work a lot like Fallout 1.

I would be up for only seeing the NCR around Fort Bliss (a good place for them). Central Texas like Abeline would be a good place for the Brotherhood of Steel, harnessing the dormant oil rigs/wind farms.

Of course, the new Lone Star Republic would be lead by Sam Houston II, have their own Texas Rangers (wasnt Tycho one?) ect.

I understand what you get at but my goal is not to recreate FNV's situation all over again as I feel that that would detract from both FNV and from any possible Texas campaign.

I'd find it hard to believe that there aren't several Vaults in Texas as there are several large areas like the D-FW metroplex, Austin and Houston so your 'frontier' type could work a lot like Fallout 1.

There would be Vaults, but I believe in 'less is best', only using Vaults when their presence adds to any significant quest or storyline.

Perhaps I recycling to much FOBOS 'Vargrant Lands' here but I started with the idea that Lone Star was founded on what once was Abilene.
Your suggestions of there being wind mill farms and dormant oil rigs only encourages that idea as I see use for them.

I take it you read my earlier design idea elsewhere on the forum.
Lone Star was originally founded by Vault Dwellers from a nearby Vault and communities on the surface that banded together.

I actually did not know about Fort Bliss, I had in mind that the NCR had taken control of a major train depot with restored tracks that lead back West to the heart of NCR.

As for the BOS, I am not sure if they should have entered Texas along the same time the NCR entered, or go with FOBOS and that a BOS expedition led by Rhombus entered decades or almost a century earlier to investigate the activities by a well organized remnant of the Super Mutant army.

In that case the BOS took control of a prototype Vault made by Vault Tec using technologies they later used for the one that used to be located under Los.
The BOS would have access to some technologies including holographic devices and robots not seen anywhere else in the wasteland.

In my take the isolation of this chapter from the other chapters back West actually saved it from the NCR-BOS war, and it is actually thriving as the elders here took some leniency with the Codex.

On significant plot would be if the Texas BOS chapter should reunite with the West BOS, or continue on its own.

I would like a more interesting main storyline, as the was almost no choice on what you could do in either Fallout 3 or New Vegas.
Now before you say the New Vegas storyline had lots of diversity, hear me out.
NCR - Find which factions to side with/remove, win second battle of hoover dam.
Legion - Find which factions to side with/remove, win second battle of hoover dam.
Mr. House - Find which factions to side with/remove, win second battle of hoover dam.
Independent - Find which factions to side with/remove, win second battle of hoover dam.
Each faction should have something separate they would want, not the exact same thing. Also, I would like twists in the main storyline. Because New Vegas had absolutely no twists in the story, as practically everything went as planned. And when something didn't go as planned, it just made the story easier (Yes Man). Finally, I hope we will be able to continue after the end of the story. I was very disappointed when the game first came out I couldn't continue, and even more so when I found out that no DLC would do that. Just my two cents.

It has been discussed a lot and in my opinion I see no valid reason either why the player should be able to continue the game after the storyline is over.

The significant changes that happened after the battle of Hoover Dam would require to much work to be put into the game, standard or though a DLC.
And what is there to do once you have finished the campaign, wandering around and shooting respawning enemies?

Fallout was never an 'open ended' game and most people who complained about this did so because they wanted to play the DLCs but had made no save game before the battle of Hoover Dam, forcing them to start the game over again.

The Dutch Ghost said:
It has been discussed a lot and in my opinion I see no valid reason either why the player should be able to continue the game after the storyline is over.

The significant changes that happened after the battle of Hoover Dam would require to much work to be put into the game, standard or though a DLC.
And what is there to do once you have finished the campaign, wandering around and shooting respawning enemies?

Fallout was never an 'open ended' game and most people who complained about this did so because they wanted to play the DLCs but had made no save game before the battle of Hoover Dam, forcing them to start the game over again.

I agree that it would take too much work, and we always have mods to change things like this, but in the next Fallout game I would like to be able to continue after the end, or not have any special items in the ending, like the Legate's armor.

1. Enemies never fade out if they're in view
2. Bullet Physics (effected by temperature, wind, elevation, and gravity)
3. Truly intimidating enemies. Currently the only factions you have to be prepared to fight is the BoS (shouldn't be in FO4) and the White Legs. Why can't raiders stumble upon crazy weapons like you? I'd like to see snipers, Fat Man users, Tesla Cannons, etc. I want to have moments where running away is actually a viable tactic.
4. Actual random encounters, not scripted crap I can prepare for.
5. A save limit for Hardcore Mode. Making dieing something you REALLY don't want to happen.
6. Better movement; climbing animations, slowing down when going uphill, maybe going prone.
7. A vehicle! Its hinted that old lady Gibson and a few other characters have working Motorcycles. Maybe make it work with parts that are rare and if your science and repair skill are high.
8. More NPCs. The trailer for NV showed SO MANY people walking around. It should look more like that in game.
9. Fluid animations. Combat always seems like you're a robot fighting another robot, third person animations make them seem like they're made of metal and have no recoil.
10. Cover system, being able to blind fire and lean around corners would be not only useful for combat, but for stealth as well.
11. Larger Scale. I found the strip extremely unimpressive when I first got the game, now I have mods installed that remove the annoying gates. Not only that, but "Epic" battles like the damn are neat at best.
12. Smart AI, dependent on the characters INT. I want to see actual tactics used by NPCs like Flanking, Stealth, Trapping, etc.

First of all, the Fallout PnP RPG is always an option. 1st person with big map could work, just have it so that when you go beyond the border of the city or whatever you're in, a world map comes up letting you choose where to go and random encounters are rolled and either you arrive safe or random terrain is generated for the encounter. Cars are good ideas, but maybe for a fast travel perpose only. Rain? Sure. Snow? No! Keep RTC. DL some F 3/NV realism mods. 100% max makes sense. Just my two caps.

I'd like to see some sort of brotherhood presence in a future game, I would also like to see the NCR

Perhaps a new faction would take over the legions spot, maybe some military from Mexico or another state that poses a threat to the NCR.

I would also like an in depth combat system for unarmed and melee users,some sort of combo system where you can chain attacks for maximum efficiency.

Vehicles: as discussed in the vehicle page I mentioned a few good ideas for vehicles, you can only get 2 per playthrough and they can be repaired. My ideas were a Gyro, Pick up, quadbike, dirt bike, motorcycle, corvega and some sort of mutant horse

Maybe being able to get arrested?

Unarmed weapons like the power fist should be able to be dual wielded.

Maybe even add certain martial arts training that you'd be Able to learn

I'd like to see another crack at the east coast, even in a major urban area again. And everything that the Suave Gambler said. If they're gonna keep it FPS then might as well add all of the things games like metal gear solid had.

Okay - I'm not from the States so I don't even want to consider giving bad ideas about a new Fallout based in America - you guys can handle that one.

I'm from England, the north east of England to be precise, it's fairly hilly and full of boring meadows surrounded by meandering roads that go on forever. A Fallout game based here sure could be fun, but shit - we don't have any animals to mutate to fierce bloodthirsty monsters nor do we have much going on for us in the way of cities or towns to turn into post-nuclear settlements.

The only plausible English Fallout game would be pretty lonesome. I only posted this awful few paragraphs because in previous conversations I've had about a British Fallout, everyone defends the idea that it would be great. Fuck that. Keep it American, or Chinese - that'd be pretty cool. South America is an idea I'd consider.

North Power, Sma! Although, I am North west...
I really do not understand why so many people want Fallout in the UK, usually wanting specifically London.
For one thing, if targeted, London would be destroyed completely. No Big ben, no westminster, no nothing.

Also, why would anyone want post apocalyptic England, anyway? It's dreary and bleak enough as it is...

For some time now I have the desire to create a Fallout campaign set in Germany as I think that would make the best setting for a Fallout Europe.
But I have to admit, lately I do have my doubts after talking with some people about it.

One of the problems might be Americana, American culture that can not really be found in massive quantities in other countries.
My solution was that West Germany after the second world war was rather Americanized as East Germany was made into a communist state.

I think it might still make a good source book but game wise it might be for the best that it stays in North America.

Like other posters here mentioned before, Fallout in other countries most likely doesn't work for various reasons.

The Dutch Ghost said:
For some time now I have the desire to create a Fallout campaign set in Germany as I think that would make the best setting for a Fallout Europe.
But I have to admit, lately I do have my doubts after talking with some people about it.

One of the problems might be Americana, American culture that can not really be found in massive quantities in other countries.
My solution was that West Germany after the second world war was rather Americanized as East Germany was made into a communist state.

I think it might still make a good source book but game wise it might be for the best that it stays in North America.

Like other posters here mentioned before, Fallout in other countries most likely doesn't work for various reasons.

I agree. Spin offs would be the only way I see it working.

The Dutch Ghost said:

So the question is "What State should the next Fallout be in?"

Sma said:
The Dutch Ghost said:

We have had several popular contenders, my own suggestion is Texas or Colorado, other suggestions have been Michigan, Louisiana or Florida.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Sma said:
The Dutch Ghost said:

We have had several popular contenders, my own suggestion is Texas or Colorado, other suggestions have been Michigan, Louisiana or Florida.

Most definitely Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPBoC3v8Z8

Back