What should Future Fallouts be like?

1 republic (NCR) is enough for now; make Texas be the Lone Star Confederation, a group of city-states. Each has a banner, army, etc etc etc, but unite under the old texas flag against outer threats like Caesar's Legion (each army carry its banner, plus the Texas banner), hold meetings at the ruins of Dallas, etc etc etc. Kinda like the Free Cities in George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (the meetings at Dallas are more like the horseman meeting at Vaes Dothrak, tho).

Fort Hood is to them like The Glow for the botherhood, but much more mythic (bombed to hell, but with salvageable stuff and so strong radiation that few go there, fewer return).

Can't give more ideas ATM since I don't know much more about the state, but there you have something.

Makenshi said:
1 republic (NCR) is enough for now; make Texas be the Lone Star Confederation, a group of city-states. Each has a banner, army, etc etc etc, but unite under the old texas flag against outer threats like Caesar's Legion (each army carry its banner, plus the Texas banner), hold meetings at the ruins of Dallas, etc etc etc. Kinda like the Free Cities in George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (the meetings at Dallas are more like the horseman meeting at Vaes Dothrak, tho).

Fort Hood is to them like The Glow for the botherhood, but much more mythic (bombed to hell, but with salvageable stuff and so strong radiation that few go there, fewer return).

Can't give more ideas ATM since I don't know much more about the state, but there you have something.

Dammit, now I need to rethink some of my ideas for Fallout Texas.
I expect you to mail me more ideas once you get them Makenshi.

On a side note, I asked someone who used to be in the army about Fort Hood but according to him there isn't much to indicate that research and development took place at the base.

Doesn't mean its not a primary or secondary target buts its not a research facility.

Then it's even better; people of Texas consider the place a myth, even thought there's nothing spetacular, just because it was the most bombed plaec they know of. It would be awesome to hear all kinds of stuff about the place, gear up, go in and find just a rifle here, a radio there, etc.

Then you come back and, if you tell the truth, people reject it and burn you. Awesome twist.

I will PM/mail you anything I think about the subject.

plaidchuck said:
lol I was stationed at fort hood nothing there but old cow patties

Fort Hood is loaded with troops and equipment. I was stationed there for 7 years.

TorontRayne said:
plaidchuck said:
lol I was stationed at fort hood nothing there but old cow patties

Fort Hood is loaded with troops and equipment. I was stationed there for 7 years.[/quote

Yeah a whole lotta open space, ranges, and ftx locations, but as far as "secret squirrel" stuff I kinda doubt it. Plus 4th ID is gone now as well. But it could be a cool post-apoc place with all of the barracks and BLORA.

Ahh yes the infamous PT belt that can protect you from anything! The elements, bullets, IEDs, mortars, dehydration.. Power Armor step aside!

The Dutch Ghost said:
Could any of you share what the joke is?

The Army makes the soldiers wear PT belts/vests during PT for safety reasons. Nothing really funny about it. They get really pissed if you don't have one.

Just to add, PT="physical training". They are basically reflective belts that any jogger/bicyclist would use when out at night or in the early morning.

The running gag is that in some bases in Iraq and Afghanistan it is mandatory to wear them for "safety reasons" hence the running gag on how it is sometimes seen more important than body armor.

A few Texas ideas spring to mind:

I bet there would still be a glow coming off of Pantex, the nuclear weapon assembly plant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantex

And then there is Denton, Texas (near Dallas):
"In 1954, the regional office of the Federal Civil Defense Administration (FCDA) moved from Dallas to Denton, and a few years later a large underground shelter was completed. For a time, it was designated as the place from which the president of the United States and other federal officials would direct the country in case of attack. The shelter later became the headquarters of Region VI of the Federal Emergency Management Agency."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denton,_Texas

Not directly Fallout, but the old PnP game Twilight: 2000 featured a combined Cuban/Soviet unit, Division Cuba, that had landed on the Gulf Coast (Brownsville maybe) and was still there a few years afterwards. I think the game depicted Texas as it's own nation, since the US gov was in such disarray. There might be some stuff there to borrow from, but the larger setting would obviously be non-Fallout.

Vault Maker said:
A few Texas ideas spring to mind:

I bet there would still be a glow coming off of Pantex, the nuclear weapon assembly plant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantex

Love this bit. Dutch Ghost, if you saw the map (and ideas) I put in the other thread, you'll notice I put a rad zone (aka: bombed) over Amarillo just because it looks a bit well populated in comparison to the surrouding counties; now we got a real badass reason for the bombing, and the citystate of Panhandle - or whatever new name it has - could salvage the place, thus getting strong like Lone Star, Killeen and Union.

Just to be sure, let me repost the stuff in here:

===============================

Dutch, you are in for a treat now (big image below):

[spoiler:952f2c2c1b]Damn, forgot to add: the black arrows point the influx of salvage. That city in the northwast does incursions over Dallas; those two southeastern ones do it over Austin and San Antonio. Who salvages Houston? God only knows, it's too far into the radiation zones. Maybe the robots...? :twisted: Or even people at the other side, if it exists! :o

HJXzo.jpg
[/spoiler:952f2c2c1b]

I chose these small cities to be the ones who eventually grows into the independent members of the Texas Confederation (numbers are population today):

• 2,452 Panhandle

1,201 Fort Davis

2,673 Tahoka

2,641 Quannah

2,936 Big Lake (renamed Lone Star)

1,182 Rocksprings (renamed Killeen)

2,034 Albany

Took this from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_of_Texas_cities_in_2000

Chose these because they not only are small but are in the less populated half of Texas, meaning it wasn't bombed (or not as bombed as the other), as per this map:

Texas_population_map.png

Lone Star Republic

Big Lake, being near a rad free big lake,as the name suggest, had it easier than Shady Sands. Ths, became Lone Star, as back then they thought to be the last remaining lucky bastards in Texas, maybe the entire US or even the world; they found the other cities later but the name was already stickied. Thank God they're not too expansionist (or had tougher nuts to crack, as the other cities here are strong).

People's Republic Killeen

I don't like the name, but since you said chinese guys took control early, the homage to their motherland is ok. People's City Killeen could ring better, since there are so many republics already, plus they could feel part of China in the first days, so naming it People's City could point to the idea of them wanting to join China, had it survived and invaded US (one can dream, why could they not?)

Anyway... Killeen is like you said, but those prisoners escaped from detention camps between Austin and San Antonio (lucky bastards, look at those places now!). Their business is centered in salvaging pre-war assets from the ruins of those metropolis, which only strenghtened the military roots you said they have.

Tensions between them and Lone Star are all you said: mistrust + different ways (not necessarily opposed). They also have disputes over salvaging San Anatonio - sometimes armed, and mediated by the other cities - with the nameless city to the south.

The Union

Let's call it this for now (you change it if you want, it's your setting; these are just ideas, you asked for them).

This one, btw, was founded by people who fled from Hebbronville, Loredo, Cotulla and San Diego. The reason? Dunno, get you fat ass working mofo, and give us a cool reason ASAP. The name "The Union" is kinda good, since it refers to them coming from those old cities and uniting to survive.

Oh, they sometimes try something into The Corpse, and there are disputes between them, too. Could be attempts of anexation, or pressure for pre-war assets, maybe even slaves/raider/etc activity coming from The Corpse, if you make it into a place of bad reputation; again, your choice.

Fort Davis

I don't like having the BoS yet again, I can't believe they (and Enclave) where the only remnants of the US army that survived with PA and stuff. I suggest you use Fort Davis (also a city state, the westernmost up there) to make another surviving branch of the army, something like BoS (excuse for some PA in game, hehe) but also very different:

* they are open to the civilians who show most potential in trials (once every year). they want to boost ranks, but don't let anyone in, only those with potential (WBoS takes no one, while EBoS takes anyone). these trials are not only for combat, but to bring in people with INT or CHA 10, for example, as everyone can bu seful in the right position;

* they don't revere technology, but police it (since they rule) and open it for the people to use;

* there is democracy: people vote (but only military members run, so they are always in the power, like the oposing inner groups in China's Comunist Party) and can talk politics (except subversive stuff like electing civilians; every soldier can be a candidate, so become a soldier if you want to rule - while it is really allowed, only a battle hero could be popular enought to be elected, most of the time it's charismatic and/or influent officers who run and win; but overall, it's an honest system in which even the old generals believe)

* insert more ideas here, for a BoS almost-like faction who rules one of the confederated cities

wow, goddamn what a wall of text... hiope you guys read and enjoy, specially you, Dutch!

Awesome stuff Makenshi. Don't know what else to say. It sounds like a real Fallout title, so I would play it. :D

Back