What would make Fallout 4 a really good game??

Gaspard said:
Less goofy factions - what the HELL is Caesar's Legion ? And Enclave too - this crazy state-wide military operation. FO3 has this huge BOS operation going too - why ? FO1 BOS was nice and local, the gangs (Vipers, Khans etc) were of a normal post apocalypse size, in FO2 BOS was physically non-existent. Yes some of the cities could have had more content, but they felt nice.

So instead of expanding into awesomeness - IMPLODE INTO AWESOMENESS !

Whats wrong with the enclave? They were fine in fallout 2 and excluding fallout 3 they are very small now with only a few remnants. I can agree with yor views on the BoS and the Legion

Well - plainly Enclave was too clean for my tastes. The idea for BOS is that they scavenge and reinvent old tech - the Enclave had unlimited resources in safe isolation and it kind of... breaks the Fallout for me. I like the wastes and the dust on your armor etc. Enclave flies in on their bright vertibirds and shiny armor, flashes it's laser weapons and escapes into the sunset again.

They're like.. as cool as aliens swooping down in flying saucers and with overpowered alien blasters - not cool at all.

Not sure if your complaint is so justified.

The Enclave was suppose to be this mystery organization that had seen the War long coming and had made preparations long before it; stockpiles of equipment, weaponry and manufacturing equipment, personal shelters, members and recruits.
They were ready for a nuclear war, perhaps withholding things that might have changed or prevented it.

Though why they had no plan of retaking the mainland from any survivors before deciding to use modified FEV is a bit of a question of its own.

Before Bethesda made Fallout 3 the Enclave wasn't suppose to return with the loads of equipment that as you said "Made them shiny and new".
They were supposed to have lost most of their resources, their headquarters which also served as a manufacturing center, and most of their recruits; the soldiers, scientists, civilian population.

The Post Fallout 2 Enclave was to be more of a rag tag group, a pathetic attempt to continue onwards with their mission, claiming what goods they still had left and what they could salvage from the ruins of Pre War factories and laboratories.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Not sure if your complaint is so justified.

The Enclave was suppose to be this mystery organization that had seen the War long coming and had made preparations long before it; stockpiles of equipment, weaponry and manufacturing equipment, personal shelters, members and recruits.
They were ready for a nuclear war, perhaps withholding things that might have changed or prevented it.

Yep and it was linked to the Vault experiments, a huge and rememberable plot-twist.

Leave the enclave alone, man! :x

The Dutch Ghost said:
Though why they had no plan of retaking the mainland from any survivors before deciding to use modified FEV is a bit of a question of its own.

Maybe they thought that the War would have brought almost complete annihilation and there wouldn't have been the need to take "their" land back from anyone.

The Dutch Ghost said:
The Post Fallout 2 Enclave was to be more of a rag tag group, a pathetic attempt to continue onwards with their mission, claiming what goods they still had left and what they could salvage from the ruins of Pre War factories and laboratories.

Just like BOS you mean ? :)

Well - just my personal thing then - but I would have preferred such Enclave to the one which we see in FO2. Navarro is cool, but the Oil Rig is one of the more boring areas. Granted - it has some cool features here and there, but they're already rather god-like in their sea dungeon and it's all the more ridiculous that a dude comes from a tribal village, infiltrates all their super-security facilities and cuts them all in half with his lazur-weahpuns. Horrible :D

That's why I liked the Master slightly more: his "army" was a rag-tag group of various mutants, religious freaks and low-life thugs, his "lair" was nicely grungy and you could join him or his muties at MB etc. In that sense the FO2 world was yes - larger and more detailed - but the post-apocalypse got dumbed down somewhat - there aren't ANY towns like Junktown or Adytum, not even anything like the Hub, not to mention Necropolis.

I'll wait and see what NV is like, when I get the chance, maybe I'll have some more up-to-date insights into what the next sequel should be like :)

I know it will never happen and I know it's old hat...but I've only just found out about Van Buren...so I say that game finished is what the next fallout game will be (yeah I'm dreaming)...sod those 3d FPS\RPG hybrids....tried NV the other day and couldn't get my head past the horrible animations and general lack of people I mean there where about 15 people in a town supposdely taken over by convicts...yawn....

Y'know, there's a reason to use an ellipsis. Your post does not need one. Or the four it has.

That said, Fallout can't really take place in another country. It's steeped in Americana and the 'world of tomorrow', imagined from that 50'sish idea of the future.

I could imagine Fallout taking place in, say, America and Canada, perhaps even with some situation somewhat recreating the annexation of Canada or the descendants of the survivors of the area still living with old hatreds for no other reason that it's what their fathers have been doing for the past generations since 2068 or whatever.

Maybe even England, though I was under the assumption that England, alongside the rest of Europe, was preoccupied with the Resources Wars across Europe and the middle east to take part in fighting the good fight against the commies. Ditto Egypt, I'm afraid, Sabriah.

I'd like to see it in China. To see what it's like on the red side of things.

- Keep up the desert. I really love the desert, and it just fits with Fallout to me. More of Utah would help make it not as stale.
- A turn-based option, though I personally would not use it. I think player-controlled combat is totally fine in a RPG, as long as specializations and everything else do truly make a significant difference.
- No iso, it's not what makes Fallout Fallout and I just see no reason to change it back.
- Complex dialogue, customization, and tons of items.
- A mix node/sandbox, have multiple maps with urban areas and wilderness to explore, and travel between them with nodes. For a greater scope and less downscaling.
- Well thought out writing, with lots of branching, thorough choices and consequences.
- No quest markers, make us use our brains. Same goes for compass markers showing people and locations.
- No more Karma or Reputation ratings. Instead, make the world, characters, and factions react to us entirely dependent on what we do and who our character is. For a less artificial feel.
- A more modest questline. Don't make our character decide the fate of the region or of humanity. At most, make it so if we are going to decide the fate of the region, it is because of the collective actions towards each settlement and faction have different outcomes that we may not necessarily expect. Basically, I'm really sick of being so damn special in these games. I still want actions and consequences but for them to be more specific to individuals, towns, and in lesser ways factions that we reacted with.

Playing F2 again and I really can't see how the current style is better than the first two games...imagine the size of the game you could make now if it had stuck to a 3d turn based game....infact I still love isometirc views as you don't have to fiddle around with the camera...

I tried F3 and NV and dropped them very quickly. If your going to go the FPS route you have to make it look damn good with some great animations which I found absolutely awful in both games...RAGE is looking good at the moment...if F4 can match that athestically and really concentrate of the RPG side of things then just maybe I can enjoy another Fallout game at last.

So give F4 a new engine really concentrate of the RPG elements...as for setting I have no preference but I do agree that Fallout and Pip Boy are very 1950's Amercian and take that away will we still hve the Fallout atmpsohere?...not sure. Unless it was set in the UK and they made the style very stiff upper lip and home counties accent like the old 1950's adverts...

JCRimmmer said:
Playing F2 again and I really can't see how the current style is better than the first two games...imagine the size of the game you could make now if it had stuck to a 3d turn based game....infact I still love isometirc views as you don't have to fiddle around with the camera...

I tried F3 and NV and dropped them very quickly. If your going to go the FPS route you have to make it look damn good with some great animations which I found absolutely awful in both games...RAGE is looking good at the moment...if F4 can match that athestically and really concentrate of the RPG side of things then just maybe I can enjoy another Fallout game at last.

So give F4 a new engine really concentrate of the RPG elements...as for setting I have no preference but I do agree that Fallout and Pip Boy are very 1950's Amercian and take that away will we still hve the Fallout atmpsohere?...not sure. Unless it was set in the UK and they made the style very stiff upper lip and home counties accent like the old 1950's adverts...

I'm pretty sure Fallout 4 is going to use the same engine as Skyrim.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU[/youtube]

So yeah, it should look pretty damn sexy.

What id like to see in the next Fallout game.

1. id like to see it take place in either Chicago or Denver. Both have been mentioned in fallout lore at some point. VB-Denver, Chicago was in both fallout NV and technically Fallout tactics(tho that might not count as cannon).
2. Weather, it would add a lot to the game. For example coats and the like would be nice to add. For example going outside of a building or structure in a snow storm would cause you to be damaged. Certain clothing should have cold resistance. I'm not saying that it should be against certain weapons, I don't want weapons that shoot ice or stuff like that.
2A. A revision to the clothing system would be nice, so that you could still wear armour and clothing at the same time. Obviously heavy armour and clothing wounld not be allowed. No wearing Power armour and a jacket at the same time.
2B. Less Armour, I know that sounds outragous, but hear me out. Don't you feel like finding combat armour in FNV was too easy. Sure it wasn't the greatest but it could be used to repair everything else so you really only needed to buy one decent set of armour and you were done. Finding a nice suit of armour should be like when you find the desert ranger combat armour in Honest hearts. I was so excited but thats about the only time i got excited about any type of armour in FNV. Leather armour should be common, combat armour much less common, and power there shouldn't be more then 2-3 in the whole game (and i say that because of companions)
2C. To negate the need for excessive amounts of Combat armour for the purposes of repairing the stuff you own, how about an armour repair kit. Obviously with a ridiculous list of things required to craft it so that it isn't as easy as the weapon repair kit to craft.
3. More then one decent trading post, or more specifically, more specialized trading posts. The gun runners are nice and totally cannon, but it took some of the fun out of it because once you got there you were set for the rest of the game.
4. More underground exploration, which doesn't have to be train tunnels and the like, just more dynamic lighting would be nice. I never had that fear factor going underground in FNV. Underground military bases, filling with water if its chicago. Just bring the creepiness back to it.
5. More settlements with decent sized populations like the ones that were supposed to be in Denver with rope bridges between buildings. At least i think that was mentioned in VB. Actually the type of set up that was in the pit would be interesting.
6. Night vision goggles would be a nice addition (appeared in OWB) that and a return of the motion sensor to the fallout series. (usable thru the mini map in the pipboy)
7. More weapon mods for guns, and more two handed assault rifles, Fallout 2 had around 6 two handed assault rifles to use and FNV has about 3. Assault Carbine, Assault Rifle (the .308 one from dead money), .45 Auto Tommy Gun(technically a sub machine gun) and thats about it.
8. Vehicles would be a nice addition but it would work better in certain places better then most. But if they do come in they would have to get rid of the fast travel option. And it would have to run on Mirco fusion you'd also have to do a lot of leg work to get it. Otherwise it would be just too easy.
9. I'd like to see some interaction between my feet and the ground, leaving footsteps or something would be nice, kicking up dust or something. Thats always bothered me in both fallout 3 and NV as well as Oblivion (probably because they all use the same engine). It really would go along way to making the game more enjoyable. it would make walking around in 3rd person mode less annoying.

Thats may list of thing that would be great to see. Number eight I admit would be problematic and probably won't happen. I'm awhere that a few of my request sound like things that would be and are in the elder scrolls games I admit that some are inspired by that. But its used in an attempt to make the survival aspect of the game more interesting and difficult. Hardcore mode went a long way to improve it but it needs a few tweaks to really push it over the edge and put the apocalypse back in the Fallout series. After all its in the original fallout title.

I'd like to see both companies work together on the game. obsidian got the tone right and the settings right, Bethesda got the right level of creepiness, lighting, and that bone chilling fear.

If they're using the skyrim engine I want a huge map. I don't wanna get fobbed off again, Oblivion has huge maps so why should Fallout have a mini version!?

Iabimyshkin said:
If they're using the skyrim engine I want a huge map. I don't wanna get fobbed off again, Oblivion has huge maps so why should Fallout have a mini version!?

IMO, even Fallout 3 had a better and more worth while gameworld than Oblivion, though at the cost of being smaller. If the Skyrim engine is efficient and makes mapmaking a quick and easy process, then I hope they do take advantage and create a larger map if sandbox is still strictly what they're doing.

Back