Where will the next Fallout take place?

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
I personally feel, after playing through fallout 3 for the first time in a couple years recently, it may take place in the commonwealth. So Massachusetts and surrounding area as done with fallout 3. New York, as well as a few other areas could be covered in add-ons as done with Fallout 3. This is only if they follow a similar formula for Fallout 4. They may want to go back out west though, so my bet would be more north west, maybe Washington state.

While it's still just speculation, it's almost a guarantee that FO4 WILL be taking place in Massachusetts. Bethesda's been snooping around Boston for a few months, taking notes of landmarks and such, and they basically laid the groundwork for exploring the region when they introduced "The Institute" and "The Commonwealth". Thoughts of seeing something new and creative are none too likely.

SnapSlav said:
While it's still just speculation, it's almost a guarantee that FO4 WILL be taking place in Massachusetts. Bethesda's been snooping around Boston for a few months, taking notes of landmarks and such, and they basically laid the groundwork for exploring the region when they introduced "The Institute" and "The Commonwealth". Thoughts of seeing something new and creative are none too likely.

Yeah, I was thinking that the Commonwealth might show up. What would it be like I wonder? An urban version of the Mojave?

No.... Unless of course Bethesda decides to contradict THEIR OWN canon, the Commonwealth will be either like the Capital Wasteland, or far, far worse. As it was described in FO3, the Commonwealth is literally nothing but blasted, useless, nigh-uninhabitable Wasteland. The Mojave, by contrast, is fairly untouched by the nuclear exchange, both due to its remoteness and the protection it received from Mr. House's missile defense during the Great War. The Core Region is more inhabitable than the East Coast, supposedly. Naturally, as with much of the subject matter provided by FO3, it doesn't really make much sense about how perpetually-unlivable the locations on the East Coast are (just look at the Midwest, pre-FO2 era), but assuming they're keeping with that "tradition", and they're going to show some solidarity with the facts they've established, the Commonwealth should be absolute desolate devastation.

But, to quote Zimmer, "The Institute, on the other hand..."

Wait...but if its so desolated, then how did they manage to acquire the facilities needed to build androids? Did they steal the tech from Big Mountain?

EDIT : Derp, read the last line. Yeah, that makes a bit more sense, but still, they'll need resources. Hopefully (and I mean hopefully) Beth will do the smart thing and get Obsidian to do the writing. That might explain it a bit better.

With any luck, they don't get anywhere near the Commonwealth and if we ever have to hear the words "android" and "Fallout" mentioned in the same sentence again, it'll be because they toss in a line handwaving the whole thing away with a wink and a derisive laugh in some later installment of the series.

The Institute, from what little they've revealed about it, seems like something they decided to give us a peek at so that they could use it sometime in the future as the next Big Bad (or at least Big Unlikable), something to make us go OMFG ENCALVE HAD NUTHIN ON THEES GUYZ. Handled (and, in part, retconned) correctly, they could be a subtle, flawed-but-promising faction and a nexus of intriguing moral choices, but I'd rather see them sidestepped altogether than be treated to a swing-and-a-miss.

For sure a place inside USA. Ok, seems obvious for most... I bet Boston. Beth likes the east side anyway.

I was as disappointed in mother ship zeta as the next guy, but honestly I didn't think that the whole alien thing was all that bad of an idea. I feel that the idea was there but not executed good enough. It was just blowing through aliens and droids to get out of the ship, so obviously a pretty basic plot. I've seen the amazing material Bethesda has pumped out, but they just got lazy on that DLC. I feel like they were capable of taking that and turning it into something that could have been good.

Except for these aliens:

Fo2_Render_Wanamingo.png

I miss these freaky bastards :cry:

The Dutch Ghost said:
Wannamingos aren't aliens, they are FEV tailored weapons.
Or genetic engineered, not sure how it's written.

I know that. Its just that they are sometimes referred to as aliens.
Wasn't there a UFO easter egg in Fallout 2 as well?

Reading the first part of this discussion (skipped the middle) I seen Detroit, Chicago and Florida.
These have been referenced in Fallout before:
Detroit: Dogtown, full of mutated dogs scavengers live on rooftops, meant to be in Van Buren and is mentioned in New Vegas.
Chicago: Setting of Fallout: Tactics i think... didn't play the game
Florida: Not sure if it's official but was meant to be setting of Fallout: Tactics 2, an out of control G.E.C.K lives a massive overgrown jungle and mutie alligators.

Just sharing my trivial knowledge :mrgreen:

CthuluIsSpy said:
I know that. Its just that they are sometimes referred to as aliens.
Wasn't there a UFO easter egg in Fallout 2 as well?

You mean the Star Trek one? That is the only one I can recall.

As for settings, I suggested Denver before, but a place in Texas would also be good. (that is why I choose the state for my own fan ideas).

There are plenty of places there that are a mix of desert and more greener locales, allowing a mix of both and not just always sandy wastelands.

Back