Who are the most poorly voice-acted/poorly cast characters in New Vegas?

Regarding Ambassador Crocker...for some reason he never bothered me at all. But you did mention a guy earlier, Astor. Astor realy bugs me. But man, I've checked on about five different platforms and it's really difficult to find an African-American voice actor. I'm trying to get this guy to voice my project.

https://www.voices.com/people/ithrowtdz05

But can't get a hold of him.

I agree he never really bothered me either. I just mentioned him more for variety's sake. It's great to hear that you seem pretty on top of things.

On a slightly off-topic note, there's always been something I've wanted to ask modders, especially as my laptop isn't good enough to make mods (damn thing can barely play Fallout New Vegas, let alone develop mods for it). Is there something wrong with the Legion side of the river? We've had people modding all kinds of new areas. Most recently someone's made a connection trail between the Mojave and Zion. But no one's ever made a mod expanding Legion territory, leaving a huge chunk of the map still mostly unused. I know you mostly do NPC work, but I'm just wondering, is it because changing parts of the map is really difficult (and probably very buggy)? Or would it just require a lot of work?

If it's not something you're interested in talking about, no worries, it's just while you're here. :monocle:

Well. I've seen mods that expand upon the Legion.
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51809/?

But no one has really put in the time to flesh them out. I think the Legion maps themselves don't need to necessarily be expanded. Rather what's inside the maps need to change. They *feel* empty.

I feel like a more accurate depiction of the Legion would be where you would see soldiers everywhere. They would all say different things. You would see cages. You would see slaves. Mostly female slaves but some male slaves here and there. You'll also see fighters in the Arena. Children (boys) running and training. Siri and some of her fellow slaves tending to the wounds of Legion soldiers. You'll see interrogations happening. You'll see crucifixions. You'll see a group of men eating in the area near Siri etc. I mean..that's how I look at it. But to answer your question, it's lag. I mean....even adding small things in Gommorah lags the entire game.

That being said. I may be getting close! I'm trying to do something that hasn't been done before.

In the original Fallout: New Vegas, the most a slave would say to you is:

Excuse me.

And nothing else.

But with the mod I'm working on, each slave talks to you and they'll all say different things. They'll have conversations with Legion soldiers or they'll all talk with you. Some conversations are unlocked after you kill Legion soldiers. It'll be a more accurate depiction of the Legion imho

Legion slave female voice
Legion female slave voice 2
Legion female slave voice 3
Legion female slave voice 4
Legion female slave voice 5

The Legion will say different things too:

Legion generic voice

Still a WIP. It takes a long time to put this ingame. Right now, my main focus is revoicing the badly voiced characters in the game. Hence the thread.

Last edited:
I was about to say to possibly change some of the voices for the nameless characters. Especially like traveling merchants. Anyone you might really want to talk to but doesn't have a name or role, so merchants. A lot of them share a voice actor with a named character, which distracts me. Even having just a voice or two just for a few nameless folk could be cool, so we don't attach the voice to a name, making it harder to remember essentially. Though, I'd say they take a low priority, just my two cents.

But to answer your question, it's lag.

Ahh, thanks. I figured it was something like that.

I should say I really appreciate what you've done with the Legion in Redesigned. Stuff like the cages, and yeah, just more Legionary presence and activity is all great in really creating what a fortress would be like. It's always bothered me that there aren't many Legion locations in New Vegas, but your point about the few locations we do see just not being filled is correct. There's a fair amount of space. Hell, there's a whole ring of trenches around the Fort being completely unused in vanilla.

So yeah, fair point.

EDIT: Ok...Kayla's dialogue was haunting...

EVEN MORE EDIT: You put so much effort and thought into everything and I'm just throwing out dumb suggestions. All I can think to say is:

Last edited:
I don't really have a huge problem with any of the voice actors in Fallout 3 or in New Vegas. Maybe some of the raiders though? Or the more generic NPCs. But even the smaller characters seem decent to me.

I don't really have a huge problem with any of the voice actors in Fallout 3 or in New Vegas. Maybe some of the raiders though? Or the more generic NPCs. But even the smaller characters seem decent to me.
A lot of the characters are simply mismatched though, stuff like black VAs voicing white people and, having the same 8 VAs voice every minor character in the game.

Heya Dracomies, You might also be interested in posting a thread like this in the TTW forums.
I am just suggesting it because the TTW forums are full of FNV players that can help or complement the NMA community with suggestions. :dance:

We don't really have a Fallout New Vegas only section (because it is included in TTW) but you could post it on the "Tale of Two Wastelands Mod Talk" section, don't worry about it being TTW Mod Talk, we don't discriminate and since you're a well known modder, I am sure people would really love to help with suggestions (because they know you will actually work to make it happen, and not just some hollow boasts) :ok:.

@Risewild

Awesome idea. Will do! Based on the suggestions in this thread alone it made me get a voice actor for Oliver Lee and for Astor. Astor will now be voiced by an African-American voice actor. And Oliver Lee will be revoiced as well.

Still fiddling with things but here's sort of how the new Astor will sound.

I just fully realized you're working on New Vegas Redesigned 4. Will it now compatible with EssArrBee's Fear and Loathing in New Vegas? I replaced F&LNV's use of the latest version of FCO with New Vegas Redesigned 2, but it seems it fucked up some of the NPC in-game appearing naked with no apparent way to solve the problem. I'm kind of glad someone find a way to work around F&LNV's use of FCO by using its' previous version so it's compatible with New Vegas Redesigned 3 but I haven't tried it since I still need to wrap up my current playthrough. Now that you are making NVR4, wanna know so I can choose to wait for it or simply grab NVR3 anyway.

@Kohno - Yep. I ignored it for a while. But that's the 8th person who mentioned General Oliver Lee. So gonna get a revoice for him. Gonna make him sound like this guy here:

@Black Angel - I thought "fear and loathing" was just like STEP where it's a recommendation of mods...But to answer your question. If you've never installed NVR 3 before, give it a shot. If you have it, make sure you at least get Version 3.7 and on. You can tell that starting with version 3.7 and on, I started to get more confident with designs.

@Spacemunkey - Yep. Man, he voiced a lot of characters. Although...unlike Yuri Lowenthal, he actually tried to change the voice a bit for each character. We did get a revoice for Cachino (who was originaly voiced by Liam)

Last edited:
@Black Angel - I thought "fear and loathing" was just like STEP where it's a recommendation of mods...
I know, but with attempt of making list of recommended mods comes the risk and challenge of making all of them compatible with one another, hence the step-by-step made by the STEP team to get player clean up the activated mods with FNVEdit and I did all of them....and then the trouble come when I replaced STEP's recommendation of FCO with NVR2, because some NPCs are appearing naked and even trying to clean some conflict with FNVEdit didn't do the job. It seems that in the past, STEP team actually recommended NVR3 for F&LNV, but replaced it when FCO was updated and the author no longer provide support for the previous ones that's still used for NVR3. Oh well, I guess I have to accept it, wrap up my current playthrough anyway and then start a new one with NVR3 instead :ok:

Btw, will NVR4 use FCO's asset again? If yes, will it use latest version of FCO or...?

Considering how absolutely amazing the voice acting in New Vegas is, I really don't think they'd let General Oliver sound so hard-assed when delivering his lines without knowing what they were doing. Like I said, I feel like he's just trying to bluff you into thinking he's emotionless and a tough guy. Fairly certain one of the speech options asks him about this. I mean really, why go through all the work of making so many good voice actors and then fucking up the final product on basically the end-game speech guy? It doesn't make sense unless you remember the fact Oliver's secretly a flat foot trying to puff his chest out and seem like post-apocalypse Patton.

Meanwhile, to steer us back closer to the original topic, my least favorite voice actor is none other than the guy who writes the voice acting atrocities in FO4, Emil:

And yes, Emil really did voice act this guy.

To derail things a bit, am I the only one who thinks that Emil sounds like a poor man's DJ Khaled?
Well, I know who my future Fallout 1 character is going to be now.

Thank you for recommending Astor. I have a before and after comparison. If you have some more, please let me know and I will get a voice actor to revoice his lines. I know I showed an Astor video before but this one's different. It shows the difference in emotion between the two actors.

Hi Dracomies, massive fan of yours. Got into Fallout: New Vegas modding late last year and your mod stuck out as the best one I enjoyed in my tinkering (I have yet to do a full playthrough yet after finally organising all my desired mods and securing stability), plus you helped me out in the comments so I'm appreciative.

Now that I've seen you're doing NVR4 I'm gonna have to wait again, haha!

I think the Astor voice actor was a little odd in the first video, and had a weird pause between the word "Legionaire". He sounds better in the second video and a little more natural in his delivery.

Not sure if it wasn't said already, but I think the voice actor for Daniel Contreras (Alex Mendoza) did an average job and I wouldn't mind seeing someone else do the role. His lines as Contreras always seemed real rushed to me, like someone was giving him a time limit in the recording booth. He also seemed very dull and disinterested despite the dangerous task he was giving the Courier and its potential life-changing consequences.

I've been replaying Vegas this week and as much as I love it, most of the voice acting is pretty poor. Sunny Smiles or whatever the default tutorial lady is called really grates me. One voice I actually really like from an NPC though is NoBark, that guy is pretty funny to listen to.

I always liked Sunny Smiles voice actor, I thought she pulled off being a badass quite well. Oh well, to each their own.

Yeah, generally the problem with New Vegas wasn't bad voice acting as much as it was constant reuse of voice actors. That's probably why the Legion had better voices then NCR, less people to voice and a better ratio of important people to unimportant people.

Back