Why do you think a crossbow was never added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Can we all just fuck off and let silus scream about crossbows to himself.

Also, lolz @ modern military crossbows. ust because it's in Call of Duty doesn't mean it's true, honeybunny.

Why do think a sharp stick was never added?!

Really, it seems like the perfect weapon for this game. You can have different stick types like throwing sticks, flaming sticks and poison tipped sticks. Plus the stick is a extremely modifiable weapon that can have things like spear points added to it. :P Besides, spears are legacy weapons from Fallout 2!

Seriously, in this western setting a simple bow would be much more appropriate than a crossbow. And, who's going to use a crossbow against someone shooting at you with plasma rifles?

EDIT: Oh, wait. Legionaires uses throwing spears right before I blast them into anchovy paste. Nevermind! Bring on the crossbow carrying raiders. I'll introduce them to my Anti-Materiel Rifle.

Wintermind said:
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Can we all just fuck off and let silus scream about crossbows to himself.

Also, lolz @ modern military crossbows. ust because it's in Call of Duty doesn't mean it's true, honeybunny.

Face........in..........a..............palm, some people just don't read threads i guess.

:::SILUS::: said:
And don't go like OMFG it's CoD

Why? It's a terrible argument, that's like saying 'I have a terrible idea, but don't go OMFG because it's a terrible idea'.....?

Mr Krepe said:
1. People can be good pugilists, so they may augment it with knuckle dusters, then they would put spikes on the end to help their pugilism, then they may develop them into power fists.

:lol: Are you really trying to justify the existence of things like Power fists or the Ballistic fist? Really? Really? :lol:

REALLY BRO LMAO REALLY LOL ROFL OMFG BBQ.

Shut up with that shit.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/OSS_Pistol_Glove

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedgley_OSS_.38

"The Sedgley OSS .38 glove pistol is a World War II firearm. It was manufacted by Sedgley, Philadelphia for the U.S. Marines and the U.S. Navy. It is a single shot, break action .38 Special pistol. It was designed by the Naval Intelligence Office. The trigger is a bar parallel to and extending past the barrel. After being loaded and cocked, the weapon is fired by "punching" the target."

The ballistic fist is BY FAR the most justifiable high end HtH weapon in the game. Real life examples of it exist, they are from the right time period, it's very simple to make and HIGHLY EFFECTIVE.

With one 12ga shell, you could drop pretty much anyone since a direct contact blast from it would hollow you out like a gourd and be relatively quiet (your body cavity would act as a suppressor when the gas from the round expanded into it).

All told, it's a bang stick strapped to a glove and not even as complicated as the ww2 weapon above.

First of all. U mad brah? U b h8in n madz :(

I'm sure sure that cahnces for someone surviving in a Wasteland 200 years after the last one of those things was made would come to an idea to sacrifice and dismantle a perfectly good shotgun or a pistol in order to make an awesome ultra cool punching thing are much bigger then for someone to make a crossbow. OFC, pure logic there brah.

And that's just one of the retarded weapons in Fallout, probably 50% of them are 90 on 1-100 retard-o-meter. But a crossbow, that's just stretching it too far. 8-)

I'm sure sure that chances for someone surviving in a Wasteland 200 years after the last one of those things was made would come to an idea to sacrifice and dismantle a perfectly good shotgun or a pistol in order to make an awesome ultra cool punching thing are much bigger then for someone to make a crossbow.

OFC, pure logic there brah.

And that's just one of the retarded weapons in Fallout, probably 50% of them are 90 on 1-100 retard-o-meter. But a crossbow, that's just stretching it too far. 8-)

EDIT: Fuck

Why do you think a Talwar was never added? It is easy to make and very sharp. It just seems odd that they would not include such a useful weapon. :lol:

TBH guys the game designers just didnt think about adding a crossbow. Doesn't make it bad game, just means they did not think to include something that is

A- Hard to make so the tribals wouldnt want it

B- Not damaging enough for people who can manufacture weapons (BOS, Caesar, NCR) to be interested in making it.

I'm sure sure that cahnces for someone surviving in a Wasteland 200 years after the last one of those things was made would come to an idea to sacrifice and dismantle a perfectly good shotgun or a pistol in order to make an awesome ultra cool punching thing are much bigger then for someone to make a crossbow. OFC, pure logic there brah.

So you admit that you have fuckall to say that actually contradicts what I posted?

Good to know.

1 "oh one of them won't still exist":

covered by the relative ease of making one. It requires 1 moving part. a crossbow requires a fuckton of moving parts.

2 "break a perfectly good weapon strawman":

none of the weapons would be perfectly good in the world of fallout unless newly made. The number of broken ones would far outnumber the working-order weapons, and in the case of firearms things like stocks and forearms don't last as long as the action.
wood/plastic < metal.

3 "bringing up your stupid crossbow again as if I said shit about it":

I didn't. Your idea is idiotic, that's why I neglected to shoot it down yet again.

4 "dumbshit online slang that you saw on /b":

It highlights your relatively simplistic cognitive abilities. Take that crap elsewhere, and speak it to the other 12 year olds who run around the internet thinking that being unable to communicate in anything other than idiotspeak makes them somehow unique when millions of other kids are in the very same boat.

whirlingdervish said:
So you admit that you have fuckall to say that actually contradicts what I posted?

Nah brah, i just accidently quoted my post after already posting it.

1 "oh one of them won't still exist":

covered by the relative ease of making one. It requires 1 moving part. a crossbow requires a fuckton of moving parts.

It requires you to get your hands on a PISTOL/ SHOTGUN and AMMO on a continent where only few "bigger" wepons manufacturers exist (and you probably don't know they exist or if you do then your shack in Turdville probably doesn't have a landing strip with your private jet waiting to take you across a continent) or you need to already to own a 200 years old relic pistol and 200 years old relic ammo.

2 "break a perfectly good weapon strawman":

none of the weapons would be perfectly good in the world of fallout unless newly made. The number of broken ones would far outnumber the working-order weapons, and in the case of firearms things like stocks and forearms don't last as long as the action.
wood/plastic < metal.

So, you got your hands on a 200 year sold relic with fitting 200 years old ammo or or you traveled the continent in your private jet and bought yourself a broken pistol from NCR, Gun Runners, whatever. Instead of just getting a makeshift stock or a grip and continue to normally shot people your first reaction is to construct a coolio punching thingy usable when you charge a guy in order to falcon punch him to death instead of just killing him from 50 meters?

3 "bringing up your stupid crossbow again as if I said shit about it":

I didn't. Your idea is idiotic, that's why I neglected to shoot it down yet again.

You shot it down hard, don't shot it again, nigga please. :lol:

4 "dumbshit online slang that you saw on /b":

It highlights your relatively simplistic cognitive abilities. Take that crap elsewhere, and speak it to the other 12 year olds who run around the internet thinking that being unable to communicate in anything other than idiotspeak makes them somehow unique when millions of other kids are in the very same boat.

Brah, U b mad 4evah nau. Y u b h8in on m3? :(

re: the ballistic fist

I can make one with a leather glove, a shotgun shell, one piece of decently thick gauge sheet metal, some duct tape, a bit of glue and a steel ball bearing.
I've actually done this to make a bangstick.
(just replace glove with wooden or metal pole)

No shotgun action would be required for a basic one-shot on-contact weapon. Once you got that down as proof of concept, you might craft a reloadable one with an action.

Anyone who can figure out how a gun and ammo works would completely understand the concept of this weapon. You just replace the firing pin with your arm and a little slug of metal that will compress the primer and bingo!

btw:

1: Nobody said it would be used as a primary weapon to supplant a rifle where one should be used. You tried to sell your crossbow idea this way and it falls flat.

2: few weapon manufacturers? This game takes place in the US of A. I can kick over a rock and find a gun with a fairly standard ammo size in this country right now. In Fallout (after the ruin of a world that was at WAR) this would seem pretty normal.

3: nobody needs a jet or some other strawman crap to walk a number of miles and talk to someone else or trade in the world of Fallout. 200 years of breeding, rebuilding and scavenging would tend to imply that people found stuff and made stuff and stockpiled it or traded it off.
The game economy has minted currencies. I really don't see having to find someone with whom to barter for important survival tools as being the largest barrier to custom weapon creation.

whirlingdervish said:
re: the ballistic fist

I can make one with a leather glove, a shotgun shell, one piece of decently thick gauge sheet metal, some duct tape, a bit of glue and a steel ball bearing.
I've actually done this to make a bangstick.
(just replace glove with wooden or metal pole)

No shotgun action would be required for a basic one-shot on-contact weapon. Once you got that down as proof of concept, you might craft a reloadable one with an action.

Anyone who can figure out how a gun and ammo works would completely understand the concept of this weapon. You just replace the firing pin with your arm and a little slug of metal that will compress the primer and bingo!

btw:

1: Nobody said it would be used as a primary weapon to supplant a rifle where one should be used. You tried to sell your crossbow idea this way and it falls flat.

No i didn't, i said i'd be more then happy to find it as a unique piece in some godforsaken safe or on some NPC or whatever. Backtrack a couple of posts and don't lie.

2: few weapon manufacturers? This game takes place in the US of A. I can kick over a rock and find a gun with a fairly standard ammo size in this country right now. In Fallout (after the ruin of a world that was at WAR) this would seem pretty normal.

Yes, i'm pretty sure that quite a few guns would survive through 200 years of nuclear wasteland.

And i'm quite sure that leftover post war ammo would survive 200 years because it's indestructible and unexpandable, or most of the people have access to sulphur and lead mines so they reload the 200 years old shells.

3: nobody needs a jet or some other strawman crap to walk a number of miles and talk to someone else or trade in the world of Fallout. 200 years of breeding, rebuilding and scavenging would tend to imply that people found stuff and made stuff and stockpiled it or traded it off.
The game economy has minted currencies. I really don't see having to find someone with whom to barter for important survival tools as being the largest barrier to custom weapon creation.

Couple of miles? In the whole US there a only handful "big" weapons manufacturers and even they are puny compared to those before the war.

That's like saying Bvlgari glasses are accessible to any poor bloke because after the years of breeding, building and scavenging people found stuff and made stuff and stockpiled it or traded it off.

There are more people making guns in this country than just the "big" companies around today. People here take the 2nd amendment very seriously and there are still working gunsmiths everywhere. Modern technology makes their craft far easier and more productive than in the past. There is a tradition of gun making in this country and that would likely continue, or even accelerate after the Great War. Getting guns or components would likely be surprisingly easy.

I think this all comes down to the complexity argument. It's valid, the weapon is complex, the ammo making is complex, and the skill needed to use it is complex. But their is one flaw to the argument.

This is Fallout. In real life, I doubt I could master a 9mm handgun in a matter of seconds. In New Vegas, I can. In real life, I can't craft my own ammo out of tin cans. In New Vegas, I can.

There is so much potential for it. Being able to mix bolts with poison to make poison bolts, maybe modding it to light bolts on fire to make flaming bolts, tricking it out with a scope. Do we honestly need five handgun variants? Sure a crossbow is a niche weapon, but so are throwing spears and throwing knives and yet, there they are.

I just love being called a liar by some newjack 4chan kid.

Check the post you are referring to in the quote below, where you pretty much try to pull things out of your ass and say X or Y modern military unit uses crossbows because they are sooo useful (iow they replace a rifle with it) and as such they should be in fallout (a nonsensical point, but you still try to make it)

You even make the silly claim that they are great anti-sniper weapons.

I don't know what it's like in your little world, but snipers with rifles in mine can kill you with one shot from nearly a mile away, while crossbows work at less than 50 yards.

If crossbows are anti-sniper weapons so are thrown rocks, because you'd need to be at about the same effective range to use them.

Courier said:
I think the most realistic crossbows I've ever seen in a game was in the Mount & Warband series, and if you've ever played one of those games you'll see why you're better off charging the enemy with a machete than trying to use a crossbow.

Highly inaccurate, takes forever to reload, can't move around while reloading, they don't kill people with one bolt unless you hit them in the head, etc.

Edit: Even people who hunt with crossbows in real life only do it for the extra challenge because it's harder.

Read my whole post on the bottom of the page before.

His post here highlights something you really can't argue with:

CROSSBOWS ARE HARDER TO KILL SHIT WITH THAN SIMPLE GUNS.

PS:

TheDidact said:
This is Fallout. In real life, I doubt I could master a 9mm handgun in a matter of seconds. In New Vegas, I can. In real life, I can't craft my own ammo out of tin cans. In New Vegas, I can.

In real life, a 9mm with ammo in it already requires you to be able to point it at someone and depress a trigger. not that tough. after the first time you hit that trigger, you might figure it out pretty quick.

In real life, you can indeed craft ammo from random metalic shit.
I used to go on walks with my grandfather and collect tire weights when I was about 10 years old, then melt them down out in his yard and cast them into target slugs and mini balls for his muzzle loader.

whirlingdervish said:
In real life, a 9mm with ammo in it already requires you to be able to point it at someone and depress a trigger. not that tough. after the first time you hit that trigger, you might figure it out pretty quick.

I used to go on walks with my grandfather and collect tire weights when I was about 10 years old, then melt them down out in his yard and cast them into target slugs and mini balls for his muzzle loader.

Key word being me. Sure, if I practice with a 9mm I'm sure I'll have it down pat. But withing seconds? No.

Really? How many people do you know that are by themselves casting and pressing their own homemade custom firearms?
I own a couple of custom made rifles. There are plenty of gunsmiths working in this country. Your arguments are uninformed and immature.

whirlingdervish said:
I just love being called a liar by some newjack 4chan kid.

Check the post you are referring to in the quote below, where you pretty much try to pull things out of your ass and say X or Y modern military unit uses crossbows because they are sooo useful (iow they replace a rifle with it) and as such they should be in fallout (a nonsensical point, but you still try to make it)

I'm really getting to you am i?

Because i stated THE FACT that many special forces use it doesn't mean i stated that it should be a common weapon, because it's not. I clearly stated in one of my previous posts that i would love to just find it as a unique-semi unique weapon somewhere on someone. Again bro, you are a liar.

You even make the silly claim that they are great anti-sniper weapons.

I don't know what it's like in your little world, but snipers with rifles in mine can kill you with one shot from nearly a mile away, while crossbows work at less than 50 yards.

If crossbows are anti-sniper weapons so are thrown rocks, because you'd need to be at about the same effective range to use them.

I see you've decided to talk out of your arse alot without actually being familiar with any facts. Yes, crossbows are great anti-sniper weapons and snipers and are used as such by some of the greatest military forces on the planet. Maybe you cannot comprehend that (for whatever reason) but that still doesn't make it any less TRUE. You just seem to spew random shit that fits you. Seriously, inform yourself or just stop posting lies. It's starting to be really detrimental to credibility of your posts.

His post here highlights something you really can't argue with:

CROSSBOWS ARE HARDER TO KILL SHIT WITH THAN SIMPLE GUNS.

Throwing spears are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Knives are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Power fists are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Ballistic Fists are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Bear paws are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Bug legs are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Welding poles are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Golf clubs are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Chainsaws are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Giant hammers are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

Machetes are harder to kill shit than with simple guns.

PS:

And i guess you and your Pa traveled to the nearest sulphur springs and saltpetre sites to make your own gunpowder.

Oh, and i'm sure that the wasteland is full of people wandering a land populated by roaming herds of tire weights and when they hunt them they cast them into slugs and balls beacuse they have the knowledge of doing that.

For me being a 12 year old 4chan kid you sure can't win an argument for shit. Every time you give some retarded statement and i beat it you find some other that i quickly beat as well. I'm joyful to see what you come up with next. Watch out, you're getting low on steam.

Richwizard said:
Really? How many people do you know that are by themselves casting and pressing their own homemade custom firearms?
I own a couple of custom made rifles. There are plenty of gunsmiths working in this country. Your arguments are uninformed and immature.

Oh please. Are you really trying to state that there are people all around you making their own fully custom unique firearms? Don't make me laugh bro. 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back