Why do you think a crossbow was never added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:::SILUS::: said:
<snip>
talk out of your arse alot without actually being familiar with any facts. <snip>

I notice that nothing you managed to come up with in the 9 consecutive edits to your post actually disproves anything I said:

1: This has been covered before but COD != Real life. Crossbows aren't all that useful compared to the simplest of guns no matter what slapdick security forces still use them for w/e reason.

2: You claim I'm talking out my ass about Crossbows being shitty "anti-sniper" weapons and you talk of some "made up" facts.
Try sneaking up on a sniper within 50 yards and shooting him with a crossbow.
I hunt regularly, and I have done so with a bow in the past. Creeping on something that's alive with a modern recurve bow (which has a greater effective range than some home made piece of shit crossbow) is not easy. Creeping on a live human who's laying in wait with a rifle to kill shit would be even harder. Consider that snipers generally have a spotting scope and/or another person spotting for them, and chances are dick that you'd get a shot off before you got dropped.

A great anti-sniper weapon is another sniper who is very far away and well hidden. Not some idiot with a crossbow trying to get up close enough to even use his "weapon"

3: Your "x is harder to use than a gun" spam doesn't prove anything. Everything you mentioned there is either very common, or easily hand made with the exception of power fists. They are niche weapons that abound in Fallout but you won't find a single one that someone made out of a leafspring without plans or a metal shop.

4: Making gun powder is not that hard. Sulfurous hot springs abound in many parts of California. Saltpeter can be collected from the soil where horses and cows piss and the piss crystalizes as it dries. Charcoal is easily made from fire and wood.

Add to that the simple process of corning the powder to make it more powerful than simple blackpowder and voila. Modern Gun powder.

I've made it from scratch, have you?

btw, you know those cars you wanted to get leaf springs off of to make your stupid crossbow. they have 4 wheels. In addition to this, a variety of other metals than lead can be cast into effective bullets and shot, like copper.

5: in the face of people from many countries saying otherwise, you still make the spurious claim people don't make custom firearms.

I made my first one when I was in 4th grade out of a block of wood, a spring and piece of steel rod and it fired 22 shorts like it was going out of style.
I've crafted multiple zip guns, muzzle loaded pipe rifles and spud launchers in the 20 years since, for nothing but shits and giggles.

At one point, I made a home-made rocket launcher from piece of ABS and a model rocketry kit. You could fire it from the shoulder and blast c-engine powered rockets at things without losing your eyebrows or fingers, at the push of a button.

I await your response BRO. Let's see you actually disprove something this time or come up with a decent reason to feature a complicated and outdated medieval weapon in a game set 200 years in the future that has laser guns.

Personally I think it would be realism. If you think about Crossbows For real took time to create. And why would you attempt to create a weapon that would end up being inferior to say an Assault Rifle? I mean Throwing Spears and axes are very very basic but Crossbows have a bit more tech needed, but guns already exist and crossbows falls in that It's more advanced then bows, but guns already exist. Gotta remember the timeline for fallout, Very heavy in the 50's vibe and you are talking about very recently out of the western era like about a generation. So It makes sense why it's not there. But it would be very cool to see.

1: This has been covered before but COD != Real life. Crossbows aren't all that useful compared to the simplest of guns no matter what slapdick security forces still use them for w/e reason.

EXACTLY. That's whay they are used as a special use niche weaponry. Oh, and Green Berets and FSB are "slapdick security force" fo sho bro.

2: You claim I'm talking out my ass about Crossbows being shitty "anti-sniper" weapons and you talk of some "made up" facts.
Try sneaking up on a sniper within 50 yards and shooting him with a crossbow.
I hunt regularly, and I have done so with a bow in the past. Creeping on something that's alive with a modern recurve bow (which has a greater effective range than some home made piece of shit crossbow) is not easy. Creeping on a live human who's laying in wait with a rifle to kill shit would be even harder. Consider that snipers generally have a spotting scope and/or another person spotting for them, and chances are dick that you'd get a shot off before you got dropped.

A great anti-sniper weapon is another sniper who is very far away and well hidden. Not some idiot with a crossbow trying to get up close enough to even use his "weapon"

You don't get it do you? That is not my opinion, it's how they are used. If you cannot comprehend that for whatever reason that doesn't make it any less true. That's how some of the most elite forces on the planet use them. That's how it is. Not my favoritism, not my opinion, just how it is.

3: Your "x is harder to use than a gun" spam doesn't prove anything. Everything you mentioned there is either very common, or easily hand made with the exception of power fists. They are niche weapons that abound in Fallout but you won't find a single one that someone made out of a leafspring without plans or a metal shop.

Giant metal hammers of doom are very common, or easily hand made?

Or the welding poles?

Or flaming swords?

Or power fists?

And why would someone have to make one out of a leafspring without plans or a metal shop? People in fallout make things like ballistic fists, flaming lawn mover swords,steam rifles that shoot railroad spikes and pneumatic punching things. But a crossbow, well now brah, that's just da derpty derp. Not plausible at all. AT ALL.

4: Making gun powder is not that hard. Sulfurous hot springs abound in many parts of California. Saltpeter can be collected from the soil where horses and cows piss and the piss crystalizes as it dries. Charcoal is easily made from fire and wood.

Add to that the simple process of corning the powder to make it more powerful than simple blackpowder and voila. Modern Gun powder.

In addition to this, a variety of other metals than lead can be cast into effective bullets and shot, like copper.

Of course, it's purely logical that someone would sooner metal cast homemade ammo from melted scavenged lead/copper and then press it and make gun powder from a nearby sulphur spring and cow shit then to make an arrow. That's common sense really. 8-)

I've made it from scratch, have you?

I'm a 300 pounds samoan with 20+ inch dick. The interwebz.

btw, you know those cars you wanted to get leaf springs off of to make your stupid crossbow. they have 4 wheels.

It's just one of gazilllion options.

5: in the face of people from many countries saying otherwise, you still make the spurious claim people don't make custom firearms.

I made my first one when I was in 4th grade out of a block of wood, a spring and piece of steel rod and it fired 22 shorts like it was going out of style.
I've crafted multiple zip guns, muzzle loaded pipe rifles and spud launchers in the 20 years since, for nothing but shits and giggles.

At one point, I made a home-made rocket launcher from piece of ABS and a model rocketry kit. You could fire it from the shoulder and blast c-engine powered rockets at things without losing your eyebrows or fingers, at the push of a button.

This part of the post is so retarded i just can't find the words to express it. I'm sure any reader with a fistful of working brain cells will have no problem understanding why.

I await your response BRO. Let's see you actually disprove something this time or come up with a decent reason to feature a complicated and outdated medieval weapon in a game set 200 years in the future that has laser guns.

And AI. And microfusion. And 200 years old edible cookies lying in a fridge of a 200 years old abandoned wooden house with power supply so you can listen to it's perfectly working jukebox while enjoying your morning chow. And people running around in football gear and loin cloth, charging you with welding poles, animal parts, spears, lawn mover blades and in the same shooting miniature atom bombs at you while being clad in sci-fi power armor. Ah, the Fallout.

Come at me bro.

Ric%20Flair%20Bloody%20With%20World%20Ttile-medium.jpg

Silus I do like your explanation, But I still think because Modern uses for crossbows didn't start till about 1970? 1980? And the world of Fallout is stuck in about 1950? I think they just never thought of it. They went with Power armor. And humans now probably think "Why make a bow and arrow when there are these giant machine guns." Since there was a massive world war, ammunition was probably plentiful, with national security and such even civilian ammo would be popular too. And just if you already had a gun and abundant ammo the thought of. "How about we create a weapon that is slower to reload, requires more time to create then just press it through a computer, and requires special ammunition that would ultimately be inferior to bullets" Is kinda hard to sell. But I hope they bring back the dart gun from fallout 3 !

You seem to misunderstand him, Silus. He doesn't say a crossbow would be unfitting, but that if you have the technical knowledge, mechanical skill, time and ressources required to make a proper crossbow, then you can also make a strictly superior gun.

Furthermore;

That's whay they are used as a special use niche weaponry. Oh, and Green Berets and FSB are "slapdick security force" fo sho bro.

Said green berets and FSB use it to create zip lines and the like, other police forces use them as weapons (such as the Chinese). And niche weaponry (ballistic fist, sledgehammers, ect) is acceptable at close range, but at long ones you need every advantage you can get, and guns unquestionably beat crossbows.

You don't get it do you? That is not my opinion, it's how they are used. If you cannot comprehend that for whatever reason that doesn't make it any less true. That's how some of the most elite forces on the planet use them. That's how it is. Not my favoritism, not my opinion, just how it is.

Only time they were used as such were in Vietnam, IIRC. Now, Vietnam is a good place for a crossbow; plenty of wood to make bolts, plenty of poisons available if you know the land, and most importantly it's far easier to sneak up on someone in a dense rainforest than in a friggin desert.

And why would someone have to make one out of a leafspring without plans or a metal shop? People in fallout make things like ballistic fists, flaming lawn mover swords,steam rifles that shoot railroad spikes and pneumatic punching things. But a crossbow, well now brah, that's just da derpty derp. Not plausible at all. AT ALL.

So because the world already has impractical/very niche weapons, we need to add moar? And might I mention that two of these were Bethesda's inventions, AKA made by the people who designed the friggin Fat Man, AKA people who don't care about practicality (or gun usage) at all.

Of course, it's purely logical that someone would sooner metal cast homemade ammo from melted scavenged lead/copper and then press it and make gun powder from a nearby sulphur spring and cow shit then to make an arrow. That's common sense really

In a desertic wasteland that has plenty of metal but very few wood? Yes.

I'm a 300 pounds samoan with 20+ inch dick. The interwebz.

Except he at least seems to know what he's talking about. You only use hyperbole and 4chan shitspeak.

This part of the post is so retarded i just can't find the words to express it. I'm sure any reader with a fistful of working brain cells will have no problem understanding why.

Can I keep that quote so that I can copy it each time I have no proper arguments to post?

And AI. And microfusion. And 200 years old edible cookies lying in a fridge of a 200 years old abandoned wooden house with power supply so you can listen to it's perfectly working jukebox while enjoying your morning chow. And people running around in football gear and loin cloth, charging you with welding poles, animal parts, spears, lawn mover blades and in the same shooting miniature atom bombs at you while being clad in sci-fi power armor. Ah, the Fallout.

So Bethesda-style stupid, Legion senselessness and tribals justify a crossbow,? I almost want to immediately use your own above quote.

We don't need ANOTHER shooter with a crossbow, so many games use them as substitute sniper rifles.

True, in violation of all common logic. Human Revolution may be the one game where the crossbow was properly depicted as an extremely niche weapon, cool but almost worthless to carry around when your basic 10mm pistol could outmuscle it in every aspect and took half the inventory space.

:::SILUS::: said:
<snip> stupid shit and 4chanisms <snip>

So you continue to not cite a single source for any of your stupid claims, ignore points that are fucking simple and logical, and your best examples for stupid "Fallout" weapons that make your stupid crossbow another stupid option came from Bethesda's travesty that we call fallout 3?

* Crossbows don't belong in fallout. You've admitted as much by justifying it's existence in fallout by likening it to the fucktarded railway rifle and the shishkabob that have no place in fallout.

* You've obviously never touched a crossbow if you are referring to the ammo as "arrows" and making assumptions that the ammunition would be EASY to make.
Making a BOLT for a deadly crossbow that doesn't explode in your fucking face when you shoot it, is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than collecting some simple ingredients, grinding them up, and combining them into a powder.

Bows and Crossbows shoot projectiles that are specifically made to match or excede the force exerted by the string. If they aren't strong enough, they fucking explode and maim you when you fire.

On top of being strong enough to even fire they need to be perfectly straight or they don't fly far or do much damage.

Life experience > Youtube and google.

* Your ability to defend your point is pretty much nonexistent, and you can't seem to disprove a single thing I've said. It really makes sense that you are a pro wrestling fan.

* You continue to use retard slang because you can't form a meaningful sentence to save your life.

At what point here do you get this idea that you are "winning" in some way?

I never really thought about it, but this is a pretty good question.
Being post apocalyptic, one would think that machinery capable of manufacturing ammunition and firearms would be difficult to use in the best of times and firearms themselves would likely not be something that "just everyone" would have access to.

It does make since that archery weapons would exist and possibly even be a common sight in a post apocalyptic world. In FO 1 and 2 we saw the use of spears on a common bases, but not archery weapons like the bow or crossbow.

I think that archery weapons would have been an interesting thing to have access to. They are relatively easy to make and easy to use. Granted, it wouldn't be of much use against some of the better armored characters in FO, but still it could be used to great effect.

While primitive (stone age to medieval level technology), they are commonly used today and are capable of taking down Grizzly Bears, Moose, Elk, Lions, Cape Buffalo, and even Elephants.
Today, archery equipment is made from, not just wood, but also carbon and metal... mainly aluminum.
The arrows and bolts of today are also pretty high tech, mainly in the craftsmanship and materials used.

In a pinch, the typical person with a 6th grade learning ability, can manufacture a working bow or crossbow for immediate use. This, in case some of you doubt it, is based on the US Army's theory of education principals. Also, my then 7 year old son made a bow and arrow because I refused to buy him one at the time.

Also, a very simple method of building a working bow or crossbow is to simply use elastic cord(bungee) or rubber/latex hose. Put this on an already curved form, such as bent metal tube or wood... then launch stone, bolts, etc,...

Archery equipment is easy peasy and requires very little tech skill to use or manufacture... perfect for the post apocalyptic world.

Also, if you start finding yourself doubting the power of archery, you should bow down and ask forgiveness from the patron saint of Archery, Fred Bear... confessions taken by Father Ted Nugent, of the holy order of the Spirit of the Wind. :D

Is even less than that, is just a hypotetical item in a game.
Debate is good, but SILUS seems to be taking this way too seriously.

Walpknut said:
is even less than that, is just a hypotetical item in a game.

Indeed. It's like if I got mad at Catholics for believing in less of my God. What's the point?

The only way I would even want a crossbow is if it was firing bolts that had bangsticks attached to the end (of whatever caliber)

I would rather spears with bang sticks at the end... so that when I get hit with one there is an explanation of why i took damage through my ceramic hard armor.

If all this crossbow crap keeps flying around, the people at Bethesda might get all benevolent and give us some sort of Kore Gattling-Crossbow... if we are lucky :roll:

WillisPDunlevey said:
If all this crossbow crap keeps flying around, the people at Bethesda might get all benevolent and give us some sort of Kore Gattling-Crossbow... if we are lucky :roll:

Well, lets hope that they don't to crazy.

Why should anyone want a crossbow when guns are not only ample, but far easier to master, manufacture, reload and find/manufacture ammunition?

TheDidact said:
Sabirah said:
Silus, you really need to chill out. It's just a game after all.

Well, to be fair quite a few of you took this super seriously as well.

True, but he was the one that instigated this mess.

The dude with the enclave avatar up there shares some of the blame as well

I mean, it just seems like the virulent opposition against the Crossbow is unfounded. Yeah, there are tons of guns everywhere, but would having a crossbow really be that detrimental to Fallout? You wouldn't have to use it, but for a Survival oriented character like myself who likes to make his own gear, food, and ammo in New Vegas, I'd love it.

Why aren't there nunchucks in Fallout BRO? I want nunchucks because they look cool and shit and this one time I say bruce lee use them and go "come at me bro" and fuck shit up LULz. I want nunchucks that are gold and have spikes on them and that spin themself too bc that would be so cool yeah bro.

I heard there are modern military outfits that still use nunchucks and they are easier to make than a magic jacket that makes me better at science and a railway rifle. They should be in Fallout man bc they are so cool and stuff and yeah this one time I masturbated to a picture and it was my sister so LOL. Jelly.

People might be l337 snipers or have grenades and missile launchers but nunchucks would fuck them up. They were in soul calibur and they were better than swords. Fallout has a flaming sword made from a lawnmower so we should have nunchucks made of string and dildos ROFLMAO BRO they would rape.

I could PWN the enclave with them if they would put moar enclave in too and my magic nunchuks would go right through armor WOOT. They are easier to make than a sharp stick because people would have to fly across the country in a magic jet to make one of those and nobody can find a jet hurdur.

:stupid pic of a dumb fake wrestler that has fuckall to do with this:

TheDidact said:
I mean, it just seems like the virulent opposition against the Crossbow is unfounded. Yeah, there are tons of guns everywhere, but would having a crossbow really be that detrimental to Fallout? You wouldn't have to use it, but for a Survival oriented character like myself who likes to make his own gear, food, and ammo in New Vegas, I'd love it.

Indeed it would be cool but 11 pages of debate on this ultimately trivial subject just seems like a waste of time Allah has given to you

TheDidact said:

You can't even sharpen a stick into a weapon in FONV. There are much cooler things they could add to craft than a cobbled together shitty weapon.

If you want that there's always fallout 3 and the rockit launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back