Why do you think a crossbow was never added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hassknecht said:
More than half of his posts are now in this thread.
You can only delete your latest post, and only if there no newer posts below it.
There's a small "x" next to the edit-button if deleting is available.
28 posts in a row, nice one.

That info came a little too late :/

Goddamn buggy cell phone internet.

James Snowscoran said:
:::SILUS::: said:
The Enclave 86 said:
And in relation to crossbows in VB, they were used by a single merc faction in an advanced settlement. Could have been hunting or sporting advanced ones for all you know.

It' still a freakin crossbow.

I don't understand what is so freakin implausible in having a fucking crossbow in a game tah has people charging you with animal hand, throwing spears, welding poles and burning swords FFS.

It has nothing to do with lore, it's probably just the usual Gaybryo thing or they didn't get to it yet.

And lol at whoever said that a 9mm would be more valuable in the Wastes then a crossbow.
You realize this logic is flawed, right? There are a lot of silly things present in the Fallout world, but their presence doesn't justify the inclusion of other implausible stuff. People don't use Mothership Zeta as a justification for why there should be a race of underground gnomes bent on world conquest.

There's a reason crossbows were replaced by firearms for combat use, and that was five hundred years ago. Firearms have improved dramatically since then, whilst crossbows have changed only little.

Also, the deathclaw gauntlet is technically not present in NV.

Yao Guai gauntlet?

James Snowscoran said:
The Enclave 86 said:
And in relation to crossbows in VB, they were used by a single merc faction in an advanced settlement. Could have been hunting or sporting advanced ones for all you know.

It' still a freakin crossbow.

I don't understand what is so freakin implausible in having a fucking crossbow in a game tah has people charging you with animal hand, throwing spears, welding poles and burning swords FFS.

It has nothing to do with lore, it's probably just the usual Gaybryo thing or they didn't get to it yet.

And lol at whoever said that a 9mm would be more valuable in the Wastes then a crossbow.
You realize this logic is flawed, right? There are a lot of silly things present in the Fallout world, but their presence doesn't justify the inclusion of other implausible stuff. People don't use Mothership Zeta as a justification for why there should be a race of underground gnomes bent on world conquest.

There's a reason crossbows were replaced by firearms for combat use, and that was five hundred years ago. Firearms have improved dramatically since then, whilst crossbows have changed only little.

Also, the deathclaw gauntlet is technically not present in NV.

Yao guai gauntlet and Mantis Gauntlet.

Look, think of it like this. There are over 9000 mass production weapon factories in the US today.

Now picture this, it's been 200 hundred years since the last one of those factories crumbled and there are only a couple of weapon manufacturers currently existing in the post-apo US.

- Compared to those before the war these few current manufacturers are pathetic.

-You most likely don't even know they exist because you live in a tin shack town placed in an old sewer system called Turdville.

-You are not an NCR senator, you're a common wastelander, fighting for the next glass of water, trying to stay uneaten, having only your filthy ticky tacky shack and the clothes that you wear.

-You don't have an armored SUV equipped with GPS in your garage, ready to carry you across a continent of North America to reach the Gun Runners (or whichever of the few weapons manufactures remaining on the whole continent, that you don't even know exist) where you will change your phat loots and imeasurable treasures for a Gatling gun.

Yeah, suddenly building a sturdy, metal piercing crossbow together with recovarable ammo out of scrap metal lying everywhere doesn't look halfbad, especially with Lemmy, the cannibal brahmin rapist skulking around your shack and making love to Betsy at night and all.

And lol at people picturing a crossbow mechanism as something oh so very sophisticated (there are tons of mindnumbingly simple mechanisms), you can make a solid crossbow in about 2 hours from the stuff laying in your garage.

Crossbows are actually a quite reasonable thing for a settler to have. Something like the sharecroppers it would be highly useful to have a crossbow, as the ammo is reusable unless it breaks, is easier to use then a bow, and can be used for self defense and hunting.

NCR farmer sits in the shade, watching his corn grow. A mole rat comes scurrying to take a bite...THUNK...

NCR farmer looks at his wife "We have meat on the table tonight!"

Not talking about a complex, compound crossbow. Just a simple midieval-style crossbow that the most complicated item is making a string.

wow this is a heated discussion!

I would want a crossbow, if only for the fact it is an extremely deadly, armor piercing, ultimate stealth weapon. You saw Rambo, he would go into a camp with his bow and kill all the sentries that way before getting on the .50cal to make sausage.

The Chinese were using repeating crossbows over 2000 years ago, its definitely something that can be crafted with relatively low technology and would be a good for people like common wastelanders or low rank Legion grunts who don't have access to better weapons.

It certainly makes more sense than all the silly glove weapons or whatever freeside thug is usually carrying.

Resuable bolts don't seem like something the game would support too well though, you can't even pick up a spear or tomahawk after you throw it.

ramessesjones said:
The Chinese were using repeating crossbows over 2000 years ago, its definitely something that can be crafted with relatively low technology and would be a good for people like common wastelanders or low rank Legion grunts who don't have access to better weapons.

It took a month to make a crossbow in China though, compared to the hours it takes to press a basic pistol.

Alphadrop said:
ramessesjones said:

It took a month to make a crossbow in China though, compared to the hours it takes to press a basic pistol.

Yes, but it takes a lot of tooling to make a basic pistol. Even tribals would be able to make a cross-bow easily.

And if they can't make crossbows, they can certainly make efficient bows.
But well, bows and crossbows just are not widespread in Fallout's USA, no matter how realistic or whatever they would be.
Yes, there would have been crossbows in Van Buren. Still, I doubt that they would have been as widespread as they are in the Mad Max Universe.
Just like bicycles. There are basically no bicycles anywhere in Fallout, although they would be a pretty good method of transportation.
So either the designer consciously decided that crossbows and bicycles are not common in Fallout, or they simply forgot about them.
Either way, they aren't in it and thus it is lore that the Fallout universe has no or very few crossbows.
Ask the designers why.

Hassknecht said:
And if they can't make crossbows, they can certainly make efficient bows.
But well, bows and crossbows just are not widespread in Fallout's USA, no matter how realistic or whatever they would be.
Yes, there would have been crossbows in Van Buren. Still, I doubt that they would have been as widespread as they are in the Mad Max Universe.
Just like bicycles. There are basically no bicycles anywhere in Fallout, although they would be a pretty good method of transportation.
So either the designer consciously decided that crossbows and bicycles are not common in Fallout, or they simply forgot about them.
Either way, they aren't in it and thus it is lore that the Fallout universe has no or very few crossbows.
Ask the designers why.

The most sensical comment in the whole thread. :clap:

And bicycles, never noticed that til now, wow....................... :shock:

Wintermind said:
Jesus christ what the fuck is it with you and crossbows?

Wintermind said:
Why the fuck do you need a crossbow? Seriously, this isn't call of duty.

Wintermind said:
Jesus why do you have such a fucking boner for crossbows.

What is with you and unnecessary cursing? Do you think you're cool or something? Or are you 12 and you think that cursing makes you feel "tough" and "witty"?

Grec said:
Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

What is with you and unnecessary cursing? Do you think you're cool or something? Or are you 12 and you think that cursing makes you feel "tough" and "witty"?

Making assumptions like that and in general being patronising isn't really constructive. I don't see the big deal. He swore, its not like hes calling anybody something offensive.

White Knight said:
Grec said:
Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

Making assumptions like that and in general being patronising isn't really constructive. I don't see the big deal. He swore, its not like hes calling anybody something offensive.

Ya, but in my line of work, and whenever I played a sport you can tell someone is inexperienced because they swear a lot. They try to sound tough and experienced, but that plan backfires when people realize how much of a goddamn retard that person is.

I mean, maybe I'd be okay with it if you he didn't swear in every single sentence. When you do that it makes you seem like you're trying to hard.

Grec said:
White Knight said:
Grec said:
Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

Ya, but in my line of work, and whenever I played a sport you can tell someone is inexperienced because they swear a lot. They try to sound tough and experienced, but that plan backfires when people realize how much of a goddamn retard that person is.

I mean, maybe I'd be okay with it if you he didn't swear in every single sentence. When you do that it makes you seem like you're trying to hard.

Well, I just hope it dosen't get out of hand. This discussion has been going really well, and I've enjoyed seeing other peoples views on this.

especially with Lemmy, the cannibal brahmin rapist skulking around your shack and making love to Betsy at night and all.

Lolwut?

White Knight said:
Grec said:
White Knight said:
Grec said:
Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

Wintermind said:

White Knight said:
Well, I just hope it dosen't get out of hand. This discussion has been going really well, and I've enjoyed seeing other peoples views on this.

And really, I was raised to believe you should only swear if something warrants swearing. We're talking about an item in a video game, the only situation were you are allowed to swear in my eyes is if you are hurt or have been working hard for a long time or something.

I just don't see a problem with at least having the option of having a crossbow. There are so many options with it.

Wintermind said:

What the fuck is it with YOU and crossbows?

I don't see the point in bothering to make inferior weapons when you can build skyscrapers out of the loose guns and ammo found lying about in lockers, desk drawers and metal boxes. A regular bow is fine, especially for "hunters" or tribals, but a crossbow is unnecessary work and complexity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back