Why do you think a crossbow was never added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
burningsnow126 said:
I wouldnt mind a crossbow in the game. It would be cool if it was a unique weapon that a special legionary uses.
I could handle having a single unique crossbow in the game as long as it's Lanius carrying it.

I wouldn't mind a crossbow being in the games, I just don't see why their abscence is such a big deal.

Walpknut said:
I wouldn't mind a crossbow being in the games, I just don't see why their abscence is such a big deal.

Because it just seems odd in a world you can makes bombs out of soda, swords that are on fire, and other complex weapon systems, not a single crossbow exists.

So in a world were peopel use more powerful stuff it's odd they don't feel the need to use crossbows?

TheDidact said:
Walpknut said:

Because it just seems odd in a world you can makes bombs out of soda, swords that are on fire, and other complex weapon systems, not a single crossbow exists.

Really? THAT is what you find most odd about the F:NV setting?

I think it's odd that a society which mastered miniaturized fusion to the point where microfusion cells could power cars or be used as ammunition failed to develop a working microchip or LCD screens. Deal with it.

Wintermind said:
I don't see the point in bothering to make inferior weapons when you can build skyscrapers out of the loose guns and ammo found lying about in lockers, desk drawers and metal boxes. A regular bow is fine, especially for "hunters" or tribals, but a crossbow is unnecessary work and complexity.

Yeah, wastelanders can also enter McCarran and pick up two repeaters from the locker a couple of meters from the entrance, they can also enter Silver Rush and telekinetically drag the plasma caster behind the doors and steal it, oh, they can also travel from Jacobstown to Goodsprings through one second blackouts. Also, stimpacks magically repair broken limbs and you can carry 300 pounds of gear in an invisible backpack. Damn, WTF are they doing living in sewer drainages and carrying tire irons?

Walpknut said:
So in a world were peopel use more powerful stuff it's odd they don't feel the need to use crossbows?

Yeah, it's a common knowledge an average wastelander living in Turdville runs around carrying Shishkebabs and Pulse guns.

I wonder how easy it would be to build a bow from scrap materials.
A normal, wooden bow would be complicated in the world of Fallout as there are not many young, fresh trees around.
So a compound bow would be the best option.
The problem is the material of the limbs, which has to be able to take a lot of tensile and compressive forces.
Maybe leaf springs from a car? They must not be too thick.
The riser should be no problem, neither should be the cams or the strings.
The arrows could be, but there should be enough scrap metal around to make working arrows.
Of course, a compound crossbow would be possible, too, if one would find suitable materials for the limbs.

Hassknecht said:
I wonder how easy it would be to build a bow from scrap materials.
A normal, wooden bow would be complicated in the world of Fallout as there are not many young, fresh trees around.
So a compound bow would be the best option.
The problem is the material of the limbs, which has to be able to take a lot of tensile and compressive forces.
Maybe leaf springs from a car? They must not be too thick.
The riser should be no problem, neither should be the cams or the strings.
The arrows could be, but there should be enough scrap metal around to make working arrows.
Of course, a compound crossbow would be possible, too, if one would find suitable materials for the limbs.

Car leaf springs are absolutely perfect for it. That's what people usually use when making a homemade crossbow. Check Youtube, the best homemade crossbows are usually made off car leaf springs. The thing is wild, goes through car hoods like butter.

Hmm, Although I would love to use a crossbow in game for the lulz I think they may have left it out because it didn't fit the futuristic western frontier themes of the vanilla game.

they could of how every built it or a normal bow into honest hearts as they would be far more realistic then them carrying anti-materiel rifles and brush guns

:::SILUS::: said:
Walpknut said:

Yeah, it's a common knowledge an average wastelander living in Turdville runs around carrying Shishkebabs and Pulse guns.

Uhmmm no, but they tend to have shotguns, rifles and handguns.

Walpknut said:
Walpknut said:

He was being sarcastic kind sir.

Walpknut said:

Really? Really?

In a world where there are only few bigger weapons manufacturers on a whole continent and 99% of the people of the said continent most likely don't even know about their existence? And even if they do know about them they most likely don't own a jet to jump on a across-the continent voyage in order to buy a gun.

They also most likely can't afford an item that is made exclusively in a handful of places in the whole former US because most of the said people are living in ticky tacky houses/shacks and are fighting for their sheer survival and are not NCR senators.

Also, the same people most likely cannot jump on the said supersonic jet whenever they run out of ammo because there is no hunting supply shop on the next corner. And i doubt there are sulphor springs and lead mines nearby.

I think much of it comes down to the fact that many households have at least one gun in them... And this being set after a time where China has invaded US soil, gun sales were likely to skyrocket.

And firearms, in their more basic forms are rather hardy things... Digging some up out of the ruins of a decimated house seems like something that wouldn't be a ton of trouble...

Why make things that you can likely salvage?

Old Man Vee said:
I think much of it comes down to the fact that many households have at least one gun in them... And this being set after a time where China has invaded US soil, gun sales were likely to skyrocket.

And firearms, in their more basic forms are rather hardy things... Digging some up out of the ruins of a decimated house seems like something that wouldn't be a ton of trouble...

................200 years.................Unless the guns are made of solid diamonds..............

Imagine how many functioning 200 years old guns there are now in the world. Not many. Now imagine a nuclear holocaust happens. How many guns will there be in 200 years after it? Yeah. Even if the guns were made of solid diamonds and so many of them magically survived through 200 years, what about the bullets? I don't think many households own a lead mine and sulphor springs or a case press.

Old Man Vee said:

................200 years.................Unless the guns are made of solid diamonds..............

Imagine how many functioning 200 years old guns there are now in the world. Not many. Now imagine a nuclear holocaust happens. How many guns will there be in 200 years after it? Yeah. Even if the guns were made of solid diamonds and so many of them magically survived through 200 years, what about the bullets? I don't think many households own a lead mine and sulphor springs or a case press.
I was thinking more to the point of shortly after the bombs fell... After that point, you maintain and repair the weapons that are in circulation... They become family heirlooms, much in the way that early firearms were.
I'm sure many weapons would not be in perfect condition... But it's much easier to repair a weapon than it is to create a new one.
And if you happen to find broken guns in the ruins of the lost civilization, you use the working parts from that gun to repair the more working one you have.

Old Man Vee said:
I was thinking more to the point of shortly after the bombs fell... After that point, you maintain and repair the weapons that are in circulation... They become family heirlooms, much in the way that early firearms were.
I'm sure many weapons would not be in perfect condition... But it's much easier to repair a weapon than it is to create a new one.
And if you happen to find broken guns in the ruins of the lost civilization, you use the working parts from that gun to repair the more working one you have.

I get it, but it's still 200 years..........in a nuclear wasteland. What do you think how many of those weapons would eventually manage to survive, no matter how well maintained they are (which they are most certainly not, because most of the people live on the edge of existence).

I get it, but it's still 200 years..........in a nuclear wasteland. What do you think how many of those weapons would eventually manage to survive, no matter how well maintained they are (which they are most certainly not, because most of the people live on the edge of existence).
I imagine salvage and repair would take on full time businesses...
Small bands of salvagers selling their wares to wastelanders for profit, keeping the best for themselves and providing weapons to others...
Bands of raiders that kill wastelanders for fun and or loot... weapons being broken or lost, and salvagers starting the cycle all over again.

Eventually the need to fabricate replacement parts brings a new bit to the cycle, thus groups like the gun runners appear.

Replaceable parts keeps guns in circulation for a long time...

James Snowscoran said:
TheDidact said:
Walpknut said:

Really? THAT is what you find most odd about the F:NV setting?

I think it's odd that a society which mastered miniaturized fusion to the point where microfusion cells could power cars or be used as ammunition failed to develop a working microchip or LCD screens. Deal with it.

Tisk, tisk, tisk, so many assumptions, no basis for them.'

I never said those were THE most odd things about NV, they aren't even the oddest things about Fallout to me period. I honestly can't narrow down that list.

And you tell me to, "Deal with it." I'm not making these huge demands, I'm just saying something that doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back