Will Fallout 3 be remembered?

Will Fallout 3 be remembered in 10 years' time?

• Total voters
The introduction of the series to a bunch people is even more aggravating because a lot of the Bethesda fans say 1 and 2 are crap because they are old and outdated.

I know your pain and frustration and there is nothing I can say that can make it better.
But eventually everything ends, even an IP like Fallout.
They might want to keep trying to reinvent it, distancing it further from what it used to be. But even that has a limit.

I kind of compare it to Star Trek and Star Wars. The IP owners don't want to admit it but the signs of dying are there.

I know your pain and frustration and there is nothing I can say that can make it better.
I have long since accepted that the franchise will most likely not return to any form resembling actual quality. So i just roll my eyes at what Bethesda is doing, and play 1, 2 and New Vegas.

I did enjoyed Bethesda's utter incompetence with Fallout 76, that was hilarious. If they are gonna fuck up the franchise, at least make it funny. Specially when it pisses off fans of their older Fallout games, so that they can feel just an ounce of the frustration fans of the first two games felt with Fallout 3.

I did enjoyed Bethesda's utter incompetence with Fallout 76, that was hilarious. If they are gonna fuck up the franchise, at least make it funny. Specially when it pisses off fans of their older Fallout games, so that they can feel just an ounce of the frustration fans of the first two games felt with Fallout 3.

"Bethesda, why did you ruin the franchise you created?"
If only they would realize the irony the moment they say it.

I swear Gizmo has that picture saved somewhere...
It's true; this one too:

:mrgreen:
SVP_2.png
But it only hits home if you've tasted the stuff before.

*They have the name, and a bunch of people who don't know what it tastes like—but they've heard stories...

Last edited:
Fallout 3 introduced me to the series, and I've played through it like four times, so I'll definitely remember it on a personal level. Two of those were after I realized it wasn't that good and that I should be playing NV or the classic titles, but what can I say, I'm a completionist.

Since FO3 introduced a lot of people to the series, and since we're seeing nostalgia for it in the wake of Fallout 76 being absolute trash, it'll definitely be remembered for a while longer - but I've also noticed it doesn't command the mindspace that New Vegas does. People still talk about the story and the political situation of that game more than a decade after it came out. With FO3, I imagine it's just a brief hit of nostalgia and "man, I remember liking that game" and then folks move on.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how old you were when you first played it and what your expectations were.

I was 19 years old and had already played Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. I was 10 or 11 the first time I was introduced to Fallout 2.

Having been following the development of Fallout 3 here on NMA I were very pessimistic when I first played the game. And I disliked it alot. Although it had a some good moments but far between. It was not what I expected of a Fallout sequel and that made me hate it even more.

I guess that if you were 10-15 years old the first time you played F3 and hadn't played the earlier titles you might have gotten another impression than I.

I have long since accepted that the franchise will most likely not return to any form resembling actual quality. So i just roll my eyes at what Bethesda is doing, and play 1, 2 and New Vegas.

You never know though. Maybe in 10 or 20 years someone else will pick up the IP and do something positive with it. Of course it's not a "hope" or anything. But hell everythings possible. If it happens? Cool. If not? Cool as well. I mean look at New Vegas which many consider a spiritual successor to Fallout 2. And in many ways it was - except for the gameplay of course.

It would really be nice if ten years from now someone still remembers Fallout's "roots" and decides to make a game than channels the spirit and the design philosophy of the first two games and the cancelled Van Buren.
But sadly we have no idea what direction the game industry will take next.

During the 90s Baldur's Gate and Fallout brought back CRPGs, the RTS genre was a viable one, and we also still had some space sims and flight sims that sometimes still tried to be realistic. See where we are now.

I am genuinely upset that I can not play any role in bringing Fallout back to its roots, as I have been carrying the wish to do so for a long time now

It's not all doom and gloom though. I've been pretty cynical in the past. But honestly? The less of a shit I give about "gaming" the more do I actually enjoy what's out there. Even some of the AAA crap that's thrown at us as I never buy them at full price but only as a bargain on Steam after some time has passed.

My advice? Take the things for what they are. At this point I think gaming is in a pretty good spot right now. Sure "old" IPs like Fallout are in hell but people like Todd and his followers are not the only one out there. And they certainly don't controll gaming. You have tons of really great Indie games with awesome ideas, visuals, styles and new franchises which have been created. I loved the Witcher Series a lot. And there are many games on Steam, GoG and the other stores worth trying out.

The actuall issue if you ask me, is that you have to find the gems in all those buckets full of shit - more games doesn't equal more quality sadly. But I say there is something for everyone out there. Regardless if RTS, Shooter or RPGs. You just have to find what you like.

I don't think we will ever see a fallout like game that's AAA and not indie ever again. It's kind of game play is not popular nor mainstream. Not to mention classic fallout was never popular outside of niche communities.

I don't think we will ever see a fallout like game that's AAA and not indie ever again. It's kind of game play is not popular nor mainstream. Not to mention classic fallout was never popular outside of niche communities.

Yep this. Commercially Fallout banks on goodwill from its name and increasing simplification till it's worse Far Cry. That's the way the market wants it. General audiences do not want New Vegas or even Fallout 3 anymore.

Who says they have to though? I mean look I know I am really very far reaching here but hell no one knows if the Fallout torch won't be picked up in 20 years by some indie company again. As unlikely as it seems ...

It's not all doom and gloom though. I've been pretty cynical in the past. But honestly? The less of a shit I give about "gaming" the more do I actually enjoy what's out there. Even some of the AAA crap that's thrown at us as I never buy them at full price but only as a bargain on Steam after some time has passed.

My advice? Take the things for what they are. At this point I think gaming is in a pretty good spot right now. Sure "old" IPs like Fallout are in hell but people like Todd and his followers are not the only one out there. And they certainly don't controll gaming. You have tons of really great Indie games with awesome ideas, visuals, styles and new franchises which have been created. I loved the Witcher Series a lot. And there are many games on Steam, GoG and the other stores worth trying out.

The actuall issue if you ask me, is that you have to find the gems in all those buckets full of shit - more games doesn't equal more quality sadly. But I say there is something for everyone out there. Regardless if RTS, Shooter or RPGs. You just have to find what you like.

Some of the old Fallout guys came together and made The Outer Worlds. That's probably a good sign to move on, in the end.

Also, lol the poll responses overwhelmingly think Fallout 3 will definitely be remembered. They're not really wrong, I just didn't expect it from this site's users.

Who says they have to though? I mean look I know I am really very far reaching here but hell no one knows if the Fallout torch won't be picked up in 20 years by some indie company again. As unlikely as it seems ...
There are indie games though like Atom rpg and Encased, also TC mods. Unless your talking about an official Fallout game made by some indie company then it is highly unlikely.

General audiences do not want New Vegas or even Fallout 3 anymore.
I wouldn't go that far. There's still a market for a NV like game out there. As mediocre as outer worlds was, it still proves that there is a market.

Hello Crni,
I know I should not hold on so firmly to the Fallout franchise, this probably has to do with me having Autism, but it played a big role in my development as a gamer. It introduced me for example to Western made RPGs, and the post apocalyptic genre.
I find letting go rather difficult as it matters to me despite what Bethesda and its idiot fans have done to it.

Yeah, I am quite cynical currently when it comes to games and other media.
I feel irritated most of the time that I can barely find anything that really appeals to me, it all seemingly having been designed for an audience that has little to nothing with my tastes in common.

Regarding alternatives such as Indies and new franchises, I just don't know how to find them.
I do look around on Steam and GOG, but nothing really jumps out to me. A title or screenshot that grabs my attention.
Something that convinces me that a game is worth playing.

I have been looking for action-adventure games though I would not rule out a decent RPG as long as it is not fantasy, I just am not into fantasy in general even though I have been playing Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2 recently.
Sci-fi has always been my genre; spaceships, robots, aliens, mutants, cyborgs, computers.
I find it very disappointing how The Outer Worlds turned out, and I am not going to bother with Wasteland 3 after getting burned by Wasteland 2.

Well finding Good games in general can be a bit difficult. Finding really great games even more. But that was always the case. Even when Fallout 1 and 2 shiped out. I am just saying there is at least more variety today. At least in my opinion. But I get you. However being always cynical can be unhealthy. You should try to chill more about gaming. For your own healths sake. It's just not worth it ... at least that's my experience.

As the original question is 14 years old, my answer would have to be yes, as I can remember it.

Was it a memorable game? Yes it was. It caused that much shit, it is now described as ' A cunt classic '

Many kids born this century play it for the hacking of puter terminals, not the FPS gameplay with slo-mo if using Vats for the final kill shot.

It had such an impression on me I bought a BB gun to kill cockroaches.

i voted yes they will and here's why. it has been more then ten years and even though people remember it and some defend it, There are more and more that tear this garbage game apart year over year. I have seen long form video essays on how and why this game is such trash, Similar situation to fallout 4 as well but that game was bashed
on day 1. hate for these games are growing for the way Bethesda handled the lore, story, dialogue etc. and i feel that Bethesda didn't know what made the fallout games good. it wasn't the just the 50's aesthetic, It was the beautiful story telling and the themes and everything in between. Just makes me wish even more now that Bethesda and Obsidian are under the same roof that they would give them another swing with it. But that happening are slim to none.

Back